Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Where is Harry Luzaders's 32 coupe ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nimrodracing50, Jul 10, 2013.

1. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Wow, what a great shot of Harry's 32. Racing used to be about building and not just buying.

2. b-bob

b-bob

Remember seeing it in the mags back in the day. Always loved the car because it looked so original and not chopped up, but I guess that eventually happened.
    Hard to understand guys that hoard an old famous car, I think they just like the attention that comes with people trying to buy it. Their fifteen minutes of fame.

3. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Young'uns....sheesh!!!

Mart3406
    ===============

4. caprezmikeb

caprezmikeb
    from pa

Here's a few photos Harry had made copies of for me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've been a fan of '32 5w's forever but seeing this one run at the Nationals cemented the deal. The cleanest '32 5w I've ever witnessed. I've had a nice one squirreled away for about 40 years (collecting parts) and just recently decided it's time to "get the lead out" and build it before the dirt nap.

Frank

6. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Sounds like we have a Harry Luzader fan club.

7. My girlfriend just brought me home Hotrod Deluxe Best of the '60s from the store. There's a nice little write up and a few nice pictures of Harry's Deuce. Definitely worth checkin out.

Dustin

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Thought it was Dennis The Menace' Father;

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  9. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

My all Time favourite 32 5 window.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I watched that deuce run at PID lots of times and never got tired of seeing it. When he came to the line not many people were still sitting because we wanted to see how many gears it would lift the wheels in (usually all 4). That little injected 292 would haul.

In about 1970 ish I talked to Harry on the phone because I heard he was selling the deuce to build the Opel. He wanted $ 6,000.00, sans engine, and in those days that was like a million dollars to me. Wish I had the money to buy it, what is that thing worth today ??? :(

His car was simply bitchin' in every respect.

Don

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

It would be great to see the present owner put Harry's '32 back to 'as raced' form and get it back out in the public (since it's not forsale). There's a ton of interest & history in that car, both locally & nationally. I recon it'd make the list of one of the top 10 Deuce's of all time if one was ever compiled.

12. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Harry's car did make the " The 75 Most Influential Deuces " List, that was put together for the 75th anniversary of the '32 at 2007 GNRS.

13. Maybe that's why it doesn't come out. He's afraid of all the negativity he'll be faced with(?)

14. I've never actually seen the car in person. If it's pro streeted, I'd actually be too disgusted to look at it anyways..... The whole situation just frustrates me.

Dustin

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That car really deserves to be returned to exactly the condition it was in it's heyday. While I understand that a new owner has the right to do whatever he wants to "his" new car, some cars are just too iconic to change. This coupe is one of them.

Wonder if anyone ever cloned this one ?

Don

16. 32ford3w

32ford3w

i can confirm that the car has been modified from its original form when Harry owed the car but steps are being taken to restore the car to original. the car was pro streeted and driven for several years before being torn down and was to be returned to race form but time and other factors led to the car being garaged and untouched since. All of the original parts from the car are still stored in great condition. To my knowledge the car was bought from Harry for $5,000 but needed many things which is why is was changed to pro street. any questions about the car i can do my best to answer for you guys.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, 32ford3w. We are ALL fans here...

I'm wondering if the frame and rear wells were cut into for that trademark 'Pro' setup.

Anything's fixable, though...but some guys get bogged down with repairs such as these...
    Any info will be welcomed.

18. 32ford3w

32ford3w

i know the rear end was changed and tubbed but the frame and rear wells i believe were not touched to make these modifications. And like you stated the owner just got bogged down with his business and building his home. The car is still in fantastic shape, no rust and all parts ie. doors, fenders, wheels, hood, etc are still intact, the original doors still have all of the stickers, and lettering on them.

19. 32ford3w

32ford3w

The only piece that is missing from the car that i know is missing (and i know he is kicking himself over this) was the moon tank. Apparently he lent it to a friend and it was lost somewhere down the line.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Thanks for the info 32. Good to hear it's still around and it's iconic status in race form is being considered by the owner. Let us know of any updates.

21. titus

titus

See if you could convince him to let you snap a few pics of the lettered doors or the car, it would be neat to see.

jeff

22. I took this photo in 1963 at Cecil County during a NHRA regional record run event.

Attached Files:

bowie and Stogy like this.
  23. I took this photo in 1963 at Cecil County during a NHRA regional record run event.

I understood that the new owner had purchased a repro frame when the ProStreet conversion was done.

24. Bader 2

Bader 2

I believe I read in the rodders journal that it was being turned into a street/hotrod by the current owner

25. I'll probably see Mr Luzader at a reunion next Thursday night. Anyone have any questions they would like me to ask him?

Dustin

26. squash

squash

I had heard that since Beck couldnt get the original car he is currently cloning the car. I hope that is true 'cause that me be the closest that us youngins can get to see a piece of hot rod history like that! I have a great friend (pretty much another grandpa) that lives in delmont PA that used to tell me stories of that 5 window in monroeville. This thing needs to be revived!!

27. richie rebel

richie rebel

i used to go out his garages behind his parents motel, ""motel 22",you could eat off the floors

28. squash

squash

That doesn't really shock me much about being able to eat off the floors of his shop or his store with the cleanliness and detail of the 32. It's such a killer car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

One of the greatest deuces of all time. It's in the top three in my opinion. Behind Paul Trussell's 32 roadster AMBR winner, Doah Spencer coupe.

30. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

I was lucky enough to see Harry run many times in the 60's at Quaker city in Salem, O. Nice guy and a fantastic running car.