Register now to get rid of these ads!

1942 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Unique Brake Drum Needed Century 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zebulonjohn, Sep 5, 2012.

1. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

I just joined, and put a picture of the truck in the intro section.

Problem: When the guy I bought this truck from had it put together in 1974, he upgraded a few things.

The original rear end is long gone, and he put a Dana 44 rear axle in.

I have one brake drum that is correct. It is marked Century 2019. 11 inch diameter, for two inch wide shoes.

The height (at center hub hole, when laid flat on table) is 3.25 inches (3 1/4"). The other (incorrect) drum is only 3.00 inches, so one of my rear brakes is only touching 1 3/4 inches of brake material. Hub diameter is 3 9/16".

I have gone to a respected brake supply company here in Seattle, and he is scratching his head. He has no cross reference for a Century 2019.

I found a Raybestos 2008 which looks perfect, except it has eight lug holes. The Raybestos 2005 appears to match my incorrect drum.

The Dana 44 came out of a mid sixties half ton GM(C?) product that probably had leaf springs. Might have been the rear axle of a 4WD truck or Blazer? Who knows.

Questions:

Does anybody have a cross reference to a currently available brake drum for a Century 2019?

Does anyone have a Century 2019 brake drum in serviceable condition they would sell?

Does anybody know if the Raybestos 2008 can be had with six lug?

Can I drill an eight lug 2008 with a six lug pattern without endangering life and limb?

Any idea where this Dana 44 could have come from?

With a 3.07 ratio, it probably came from a vehicle with an auto transmission, maybe a powerglide?

Anyway, the truck easily goes 65 miles an hour with the 235 stovebolt. You understand why I want the brakes to have that extra 1/4 inch of material making contact with the drum, it all counts when the original top speed was about 49 mph.

Thanks for any help, I will let you know when and how this resolves.

The first pic is the correct Century 2019.

[​IMG]

The second pic is the wrong one, presuming it matches Raybestos 2005

[​IMG]

Third pic is from the side, the right one is correct, note 1/4" taller.

[​IMG]

Fourth pic shows truck with temporary wheels (off an Airstream) with 6.50 x 16 Michelin XA Radials from about 1969. Pre DOT labeling on tires. They were stored inside for forty years, and have a lot of tread left. Perfect fit. These have the three bump hub cap attachments (not the clips). That's why I have baby moons on them. I have powder coated the original five 5.5x15 artillery wheels (black), and will fit the Yokohama 700R15 when I have the funds. These XA's and wheels will go up for sale then. Nice old tires, great riding. These old trucks are enhanced by radials, but the only size I could find even close was a 225/75R15LT and they were an inch or so shorter than the Yokohamas. 30 x 9.5 are too wide.

The Y742S is a traction tread, I am putting two on the rear, and the RY215 is a highway tread, for the front and spare.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y742S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=RY215

[​IMG]

2. Willy301

Willy301

6 lug should be easy to track down, I think Chevy had some 6 lug in mid 80's. All on their half ton, but most were 10 bolt chevy rear diffs. I think you should consider finding a dana with axles that have 5 lug, and even if it is the Ford pattern, you could drill the 5 lugs for the chevy in the axle, between the ford lugs. I will have to look around at work, and see if I can get you a better range of years that had the 6 lug, we seem to get quite a few calls for wheels for that pattern.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your Dana 44 could possibly come from a mid 60's GMC as you speculate, but it also is possibly from a Jeep J Series pickup or Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer from the same era. They used a 6 lug pattern same as GM.

As for drilling the 8 lug drum........I do not think there is any risk in doing that, aside from getting the holes drilled accurately. Not the ideal solution, but workable if a correct drum cannot be found.

Ray

4. Your Century 2019 crosses to BD60091 Wagner, but that isn't going to be easy to find either.

5. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

Well, the information provided has helped a lot.

I found out that GMC made a half ton with a Dana 44 and leaf springs from 1965 thru 1967.

The BD60091 is the cross reference to my Century 2019. It too is made of unobtainium.

Wagner BD60089 is specifically mentioned by autopart.com in reference to these GMC trucks, and they mention the Dana 44 and leaf springs in the description.

Chevrolet used this axle in the P10 (Step Van) in 1966 and 1967, with leaf springs.

These drums came on the 1974 era Blazer and Jimmy in four wheel drive only.

It is possible the Century 2019 is incorrect, even though it works. It measures 3.25". The BD60089 measures 3.45".

I found a cross reference to a Centric drum 122.6037, which looks like it might work.

The lug holes might be too small, but I own the right size drill bit. The skirt design where it meets the backing plate may be different, and some of these may have cooling fins on them.

I feel like a mortarman bracketing a target.

I now have enough information to go back to my brake guy and ask specific questions, and supply him with better information.

I would still buy a Century 2019, if anyone has one.

Thanks for your help. The Wagoneer/J10 info helped, they used this axle and lug combo from about 1974 to 1978. I am on my way to Pull A Part, maybe I get lucky and find drums. I know what to look for now.

Will advise how and when resolved.

6. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

More information.

The Chrysler/Jeep drums with six lugs would work, but the center hole is too small. I guess the possibility of having the center hole machine to fit 3 9/16 is a possibility. The do come with or without fins. An earlier drum for the Kaiser Jeep with six lugs has a too large center hole. Could work, but the center hole serves a purpose.

There is no Raybestos drum that crosses to the Wagner BD60089.

Will look for the Wagner BD60089 elsewhere, my jobber only has Raybestos.

If I do machine a couple of the Chrysler drums, and if they work, I could get more done if anybody needed them.

7. For what a complete rearend costs at a you-pick yard, if the drums cost more than $50, I'd just put another rear in it.

8. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

All right, I may have an answer. The Raybestos 2067, a rear drum for the 1971 to 1975 GMC and Chevrolet half ton four wheel drives with 11 x 2 inch brakes and six lugs is supposed to fit, the only issue is that I will have to drill out the 7/16" lug holes to fit my half inch diameter lugs. O'Reilly has them for fifty bucks apiece. They are a finned drum with a 3 and 9/16" center hole. Crossing fingers, will pick some up and report back.

Would not have found this information without the feedback I have gotten from this site.

I hope this helps someone else in this situation in the future.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very glad to hear you are making progress on solving this problem.......Once resolved, I am sure the satisfaction gained will make up for the time and effort you have invested.

Ray

10. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

I just carefully measured the Blazer drum, Raybestos 2067, and it is not going to work. Too "short" no better than the one I am trying to get away from. Still would miss the last quarter inch of brake material on the shoe.

These have a large finned area, which overhangs the backing plate.

Did measure a Chrysler drum, would work fine if I can get machined center hole to 3 9/16.

11. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

OK, Centric 122.66037 ought to work, just confirmed with Centric that they are not a finned drum.

I have found the fins on a finned drum extend further than the braking surface, and it alters the measurement of depth (I need 3.45").

The Raybestos 2067 is an example, the measurement of depth is right, but the fins extend beyond the braking surface, and these drums will leave the same 1/4" of brake shoe untouched. Pisser.

I'm going to order one of these Centrics, if it works, I will get a second one.

They are over a hundred bucks each, so it is tempting to just buy a whole other axle. I don't want to tear into that, better the devil you know. I've got plenty to do already.

Will let you know if this works, or if it is yet another dead end. The parts guy at Centric (the actual company, not the counter guy at Shuck's), swears up and down it will work, and that is supported by three other sources of information. He noted that there were two different brake drums available on 1966 GMC half tons, depending on leaf or coil springs, and actually sounded like he had a clue.

Getting close to a resolution, now just have to pony up the dough. I hope this helps somebody else in the same situation.

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Glad you are having some success for the effort you have put in!

Ray

13. If you go with the Centric drums, have them turned before you mount them. I've mounted up a lot of Centric drums that were out of round fresh out of the box.

14. If you needed to, I can turn the center hole out for you, just pay the shipping. Hope the new ones work, but if they don't you have another option. I had to do that to a few of mine in the past.
    jason

15. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

Eureka! I found two of these drums. He is shipping them to me. Originals. Will post pics when they arrive.

Did not want to buy the Centric drums at about $150 each plus shipping of $30 each.

Just as I suspected, I would find somebody who had them sitting on a dusty shelf in the back of an old garage.

The Century 2019 is now for sale, it does cover the brake shoes, but is about a quarter inch to far from the backing plate.

The later GM drums I looked at were 11 and 1/8 inch diameter, they were finned and perfect, except the diameter was off. My brake guy said they would not work, that the shoes would not touch properly.

Contact me if you want the Century 2019, it will at least work until you find the exact drum for a 65/66 GMC Dana 44 half ton six lug with leaf springs. They are hard to find, trust me.

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Congratulations............your persistence paid off !

Ray

17. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

Attached are some pics of the three drums: The first picture shows all three drums, the run of the mill GM drum, with a 3.00 inch depth, the adequate Century 2019 at 3.25 inch depth, and the correct GMC drum at about 3.50 inch depth. Note the way the GMC drum is "stitched" together, and the higher center. The brake shop said this would be the last turning for these drums...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

I'm dragging this thread back up because I now have the same dilemma that the OP once had.

I have a '65 GMC Dana 44 rear installed in my '57 Chevy pickup. (The GMC was the leaf spring version.)

I have the original brake drums but they are worn out so I'm seeking replacements. The Centric 122.66037 is not in stock anywhere. I've been told Centric is not producing them now although they didn't say they never would again.

I have a machine shop here locally that could open up the center holes for the Chrysler or Jeep drums but I haven't been able to find the right ones. What year and models of those vehicles to I need to search for?

I put $900 into this rear for new gears, bearings and a posi unit so I need to find a solution for getting new drums for it.

I would appreciate any advice or help with this.

Roger

19. NOPSI

NOPSI

Roger55,
    I just now plugged 122.66037 in Google. One drum is at eBay and one is at Amazon.
    Good luck in your search.

20. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

Thanks.
    They are the same suppler. I've called them. They do say they have one but can't get another.

I've been Googling this part number for six weeks now and made many calls.

21. NOPSI

NOPSI

I see you've certainly done your homework! Have you tried asking over at the Stovebolt message board?

22. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

I have not. I'm not a member there. Maybe I would get some info if I join and post my issue on their Driveline area.

23. NOPSI

NOPSI

Either that, or post in General Truck Talk section, it may get more views. The moderators will move it to the appropriate section if they feel the need.

24. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

Thanks.
    I made a post over there in the Driveline section but it is awaiting moderator approval. Turns out I was a member but I hadn't ever posted there.

From the info that was posted earlier in this thread I did find that there is a brake drum available for a '74 Jeep Wagoneer that is similar to the Centric 122.66037. It's a Centric 122.63028

[​IMG]

The height is very close and the bolt circle is the same but the hub circle and bolt holes are both too small. I would have to take them to a machine shop to have the hub hole opened up to 3.56" and the bolt holes enlarged to .58". It appears that they would probably work if I had that done. Probably cheaper even after the machine work since these drums cost $28.79 on Rock Auto. It appears if the 122.66037 ever do come back in stock, they will be over $100 a piece.

Here's the 122.66037:

[​IMG]

25. Joe H

Joe H

Is it possible to replace the backing plates from a newer truck and then use the new drum brake hardware? Seems like a better way to go. Shoot, 20 years ago I had 8 3/4" Dodge axle ends welded to a Dana 60 axle for only a few dollars. That allowed me to get rid of all the heavy Dana floating axles and brakes for simple car type axle and brake.

Joe

26. zebulonjohn

zebulonjohn
    from seattle

You are having the same problem I had.

I still have the one Century 2019 that came on the rear end. It is 1/4 inch too short, but does cover the brake shoes.

I found two originals, both were at the hairy edge of being unusable, the machine shop said that was the last time they could be turned. If I recall, I posted pics of the correct drums(?). They are unique looking, and I could pick them out of a pile if I had too.

If you want this drum, let me know. It works OK untll you find the originals. I am in Seattle, it fits in a large flat rate box from the USPO, 12" x 12" x 5-1/2". $17.25 shipping cost, PM me and we can talk. Greyhound might be cheaper, or UPS/FedEx ground. I am in Seattle, if you are nearby.

I will revisit my file and let you know what I find out about which drums could work if you can get the center hole machined. I have specific year/model information, some older '70's Wagoneers, off the top of my head.

27. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

Thanks John!
    I can use my original ones until I find some new ones. My originals are fine other than their worn past their max diameters.

I'm don't quite understand why your Century 2019 is 1/4" too short if it covers the entire shoe. Your photo of the Century 2019 looks just like my originals.

I would appreciate your info on the specific model and year of drums that might work with some machine work. I just had a machine shop shorten a drive shaft for me and was discussing this brake drum issue with him. He seems very willing to help me if I can come up with something close.

What's your take on that Centric Wagoneer drum that I posted the specs on, do you think that will work with the machine mods?

28. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

Joe, I don't know but maybe.
    It would take some research to see if I could get other backing plates that would have the right bolt pattern to match up with the axle and bearing retainer. One problem for me with that option is that the wrecking yards in my area have almost no old vehicles.

29. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

John,

Take a look at this thread:

I couple of guys there are saying the 2067 will work. I don't see how. The descriptions of the drums I see look like that would have the problem that you describe.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=6506274#post6506274

Roger

30. roger55

roger55
    from West Texas

I looked at the 2067 drums and won't fit right. The friction surface will not cover the entire brake shoe as well as the lug hole too small. I suspected that John was correct and those other guys were wrong but I wanted to see for myself.

So, I went for the '74 Waggoneer drums and took them to a machine shop to have the center hole machined out larger and the lug holes drilled larger.

Perfect fit!

See here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=6597302#post6597302