Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ....The 2014 AMBR Winner is....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 26, 2014.

1. I SEE NUZTHING, I HEAR NUZTHING, I KNOW NUZZTHING!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Funny you should say that ~ I talked to about a dozen or so guys about the contenders this year WHILE LOOKING AT THE CARS. To a Man everyone felt that SOHC powered car was By FAR the worst build of what was there this year.
    And I'm not sure how you could call the Boyce Asquith 32 anything but 1980's when it was build as state of the art then (although I'm not sure it was a contender, maybe just a place filler for the crashed car), the Chocolate Rose was not of the 55-65 era by any means, The Tub for Two was more late 60's show rod in my eye, the "Other" Chevy Phaeton was very 80's-90's, the Gerber Special was a current Bonneville car, the Roseville HS RPU has big inch wheels and modern header designs that make it a current style build, Gommi's 32 Phaeton was 100% Pre 1955, the aforementioned Blue Steel was modern interpretation with its big inch wheels, Dan Van Aucken's car with the speed mirrors and knock off wheels doesn't fit that era. So that leaves Bill Grants which was VERY 1956ish and Ronnie Goodwins dark blue 32 which fits the era. So for us, only two of the cars really fit the era you are talking about in our eyes ~ funny how different people look at things and leave with such different imprssions

3. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I thought it was possibly the weakest field I have seen in the ten recent years I've gone. I can't name one of the finalists that grabbed my "eye". I was there principally for photography, so that says a lot. I think I shot only 3 or 4 of the finalists, and barely included any of those shots in my coverage (which 90% of the time reflects my taste). I believe that most of the judges might agree with this assessment, off the record, of course. But they were tasked with picking one.

With that said, I can see why the tub won. No, Troy didn't mismatch the panels. And that black tub, while being a great build, the styling made no sense to me other than some kind of a statement by the owner.

My coverage of the rest of the show:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=859274

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

This was one of my favorite roadsters there. I spoke to the owner (he drove in for the outdoor show) and he didn't even know about the existence of AMBR. Parellel worlds.

[​IMG]

Jeem likes this.
  5. madmike3434

madmike3434

Some people were saying earlier that this looks like a parade car . In the pictures this car looks really long, but its really only 107" wheelbase . That's barely anything longer than a 32 ford sedan or a 33-34 ford sedan or tub.

I think what's giving the car the longish look is the paint treatment of the 2 tone insert. You could also throw in the low sitting stance end to end. Somehow the two tone insert seems to draw the eyes and fool them into thinking its a much longer car, yet only being 107" wheelbase.

Cars like a 32--36 Packard.....cadillac's ......chyrsler's......pierce-arrow and other big boys are all long wheel base cars of 122 ++ inches. You put this beside any of them and it will look smurphy .

mike lynch

6. madmike3434

madmike3434

this car is the vehicle in question...........

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I think it's the downward swoop of the body line that gives the illusion of it being longer than it is: makes it resemble a really long, four door roadster at first glance.

Another aspect that makes it look strange is how the top seems to bow up quite a bit taller than stock.

8. The top is the part that loses the hot rod feel for me. I would love to see someone photoshop it with the top lowered.

9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Don't get me started.

I just can't believe that the stock top would have been that tall.

10. madmike3434

madmike3434

I have pictures of 2 auzzie phaetons 1935 Chevrolet standard series that have tops on them that look original style.

The AMBR winner the back rear area of the top LEANS FORWARD, whereas the auzzies go straight up. They all appear at the same height.

I can email the pictures to you to post or anybody else

contact me at mike350 at rogers dot com

mike lynch

11. Racewriter

Racewriter

The Asquith car wasn't in contention for AMBR (but I would have ranked it above the contenders this year). If I'd known that the Bonneville car was in contention I might have ranked that one above the SOHC car. We'll agree to disagree on some of the other issues, but my point is that none of those cars screamed "AMBR" to me, in any period. They were cars that I looked at, said, "That's nice," and moved on. There were a few roadsters elsewhere in the show, and outside, that were more of an AMBR car to me. "AMBR," to me, is a car that is the baddest new hot/street rod in the country in a given year.

12. Clark

Clark

Wow!! you can see a color difference in the red on the winning car. Look at the passenger door and the post in the middle. Wow!!!

There was a list of contenders....were they the only cars running for the AMBR or were they the best picked from all the entries?
    Clark

13. 1929rats

1929rats

regardless.....I think that car is really something...

14. Clark

Clark

Yeah it's a nice car but that's a BIG screw up. Looks like the doors and hood were painted at a separate time than the body.

I didn't see the cars in person so there's no way to judge them. It wasn't a great year for contenders. With Troy's track record could it have scared off some potential nice cars that want to win.....save it for next year?
    Clark

15. It is just the way the paint photographs. EVERYONE that was there said it matched. Do you really think a car coming out of Trepanier's shop to compete for the AMBR trophy would have mismatched paint :rolleyes:

16. Clark

Clark

I wouldn't think so. But you can see it in just about every picture. Different angles and lighting.
    Clark

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

It matched. Depending on a photograph to give a paint color opinion from 2800 miles away is kinda lame. It matched to the human eye ... :cool:

18. Clark

Clark

I'm not 2800 miles away from the pictures :) Are all the pictures photoshopped? I'd understand maybe one picture and maybe the hood being a different color cause of the angle difference, but pretty much all the pictures?

Besides...shouldn't a 6 digit, possibly a seven digit car and AMBR winner look good in pictures :)

19. Racewriter

Racewriter

The paint matched in person. The camera sometimes doesn't capture accurately.

20. Clark

Clark

Hope to see the car in Detroit.

On to my other question......are the ones listed as the contenders in the Hot Rod article the only cars that went for the AMBR or were they picked from a larger group. In Detroit they pick the great 8 then the Ridler.
    Clark

21. madmike3434

madmike3434

Its my understanding that the top 8 cars are selected BY THE JUDGING COMMITTEE and are then judged for the don ridler award in Detroit. They hand out jackets to owners of those GREAT 8 and some money . There is no further numbering system like finishing #1 thru #8, its strictly the GREAT 8 and then from that THE DON RIDLER AWARD WINNER.

As far as the GNRS and the AMBR award, from what I can ascertain by reading, they, the JUDGING COMMITTEE , select 10 cars to compete from the entrants and then judge the top 10 cars and select the AMBR winner. I believe that each top ten selection receives cash for making the top 10. No idea if they get a jacket like Detroit. ???

I know that those making the GREAT 8 CUT, its considered a major feather in their cap. A guy I know made the great 8 a few years ago with a 33 ford roadster.

There was a TV show narrated & produced by Jason Priestly for either 1 hour or 90 minutes about the Detroit ridler award and they followed the judges around and listened to their comments on the cars. Think it was done for speedvision. There was a lot of judges personal opinions expressed about what they liked and did not like about certain cars. One of the judges was really obnoxious in his opinions. It and he did not come across well on TV at all. He came across as a real anal orifice.

this all I know

mike lynch

22. Mike

Mike

That was actually my favorite car in the show, a beautiful machine. When I got home, I was suprised to find out that it won the AMBR. My taste and the judges taste usually don't line up.

Maybe it's time for me to have my head examined!;)

23. That's why I made the comment saying I wasn't sure the Asquith car was in competition, but it was quite ODD that it was right in the middle of the section that is always reserved for the AMBR cars, and it was displayed the same way. I agree that NONE of the cars were outstanding this year, in my opinion, and that there were a couple of cars in the main that I think could have won if they had been entered as AMBR contenders. In fact we spoke to one guy who said his car wasn't accepted and we felt is was definitely a contender. Strange! As for the winner, it was the best of what was entered. The show has no control over who builds and enters cars any particular year, and this year just turned out to be weak. As for the Blue Steel, well, in my opinion it had many problems, starting with the horrible paint job (it was Blotchy, Streaky, and had no shine to it) and continuing through the lack of a cohesive theme - again, in my opinion.

24. YIKES! This thread might last til the next GNRS:eek:

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

THIS! This, is the 2014 AMBR! Well, anyway, it was my favorite roadster at the show.

FWIW....I dug the '35 that won. A few tweaks I would'a liked to have seen, but that's the nature of the game.

Attached Files:

26. It was FOR SALE!

27. madmike3434

madmike3434

OH REALLY, IT ( 35 chev touring )WAS FOR SALE , ANY IDEA OF THE ASKING PRICE.??????????

Its definitely 6 figures , possibly 7 ?

lottery draw is tonite , going to get some tickets

mike

28. I think he is talking about the roadster pickup that Jeem posted.

29. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Madmike seems, uhh....mad.

30. Uh, NO. Look again at the quote I was answering :rolleyes: