Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A little advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leesnap, Jan 30, 2014.

1. leesnap

leesnap
    from boston

Hello all,
    I was wondering whats the best way to somewhat detail the underside of my 62 t bird. Its kinda scaly with some factory undercoat in tact but no rot. I want to clean it up and spray it with something black but am wondering what will protect it best. Also, I wonder if I should power wash the thing first or just old school wire brush and elbow grease. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. lil runaway

lil runaway
    from Wisconsin

I did the same thing to my Merc, cleaned up the best I could, and spayed with Second Skin undercoating

3. bgaro

bgaro

both, wire brush first then hit it with the pressure washer. clean it til your happy. i hate undercoating it seems to come right off. i'm sure some other guys can recommend a decent product to spray on, i've used bedliner in the past.

4. leesnap

leesnap
    from boston

Thanks fellas

5. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

X2 on undercoating coming off. Me, I powerwash then rust type paint.

6. Pressure wash, then use spray on bedliner or 3M body scultz (excellent quality undercoating)

7. metal man

metal man

Have you looked into getting a portable soda blaster to do it? We have some outfits around here that will come out and do it in your driveway. You just need to get it up on jackstands. I don't know what they charge, but I have several friends who have had the undercarriage of a running,driving car done this way, and then just primer and paint it.

8. leesnap

leesnap
    from boston

Great ideas guys...thank you all

9. leesnap

leesnap
    from boston

Any pics of the bulletbirds with wide whites with chrome rims? or radir style rims out there? I don't know if the 2 1/2" www will be too much or not. Any more advice before I buy them would be much appreciated!!

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I use a wire brush to clean off the flaky stuff and then the rattle can undercoating. Nobody is going to put mirrors under my car:) It is amazing what a spray bomb of under coating can do to clean up an undercarriage. All my cars have seen their last days on the salty roads that cause all the problems. I keep a couple cans of the stuff on the shelf bought when they are on sale. The satin black frame looks great with this as a background.

11. 35desoto

35desoto

X 2 on the 3m Body Shultz - great product and long lasting - has a European background to protect from the harsh winters and holds up well