Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 63-64 Galaxie LCA offset shaft

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by t6chan, Jan 30, 2014.

1. t6chan

t6chan
    from GTA

Hello Guys,

There are a number of threads that talk about these offset shafts on the 63-64 Galaxie suspension but there is not much on how the fixes turn out. I am looking at getting some feedback on how these 2 specific types of system compare:

1. Born Again Classics - modified large nut / bushing to accept a straight shaft. this thread has some background and shows the pictures of the kit.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697971&page=2

2. Rare Parts - offset washers and straight shaft.
    [​IMG]

Any experience with either setup would be appreciated. Not to taint the feedback but it seems like the rare parts kit pins the mounting to the OEM stock LCA position where as the first option is a simplified way to pin the mount but changes the intended position by 3/8"...

Cost difference is about 100$ which is a small factor.

There are also the 1pc and 2pc stabilizers that lock the offset bolts via bolt on bars but i am not to fond of these.

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

A simple brace tying the two offset shafts together will accomplish the same thing. That is the way Ford did it on police cars and taxis.

3. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

That's what I recall people doing back then.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That solution was covered in a Gus Wilson Model Garage story in Popular Science back before the fuzz wore off the upholstery in your Galaxie.
    That makes it APPROVED and OFFICIAL.
    There is no higher authority beyond Gus.