Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin Number vs Title vs Out of state

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tonyimpala, Jan 29, 2014.

1. I have to register an out of state car just purchased with a signed title and Bill of Sale. Here in Fla the tag agency requires a law enforcement officer to look for the vin and sign an affidavit. The frame has been beautiful restored and so the car. I do not want to start stripping paint off NOW. I remember the 31 Model A I bought from the same state as the car above. What the builder did was make a new car ID tag with the vin number on it. He attached to the car with pop rivets.
    Here is the $64 question do you think that if I made a bonded on the top of the frame rail on the drives side by the steering a tag with just the vin number. Will this satisfy the police? I do have a letter from the builder that the vin number was there prior to the tons of paint was applied to the frame.:confused:

2. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Ask your local police. Only they could answer that. I spent 28 years as a Deputy Sheriff. I would not put my neck on the line for someone I didn't know.

3. Im in AZ, and I have had them even take acid to the top of the frame to see the numbers. Their job is to see those original stampings, so unless they are slacking, your titling process isnt going to go the way you are hoping.

4. If I understand you correctly, you want to attach a fake VIN tag to the frame rail, using numbers that correspond to a title you possess.

Then you want the police to believe the above AND a letter from someone stating that there WERE numbers under the paint. And that your fake VIN tag and the letter make the car legit.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?

How do you feel about pinstriped suits??

You are going to have to understand that the police do not give a rats arse about you, or your pretty paint. They just want to see real live actual numbers on a real live actual frame, stamped by the real live actual factory.

Not Magic Marker® on 3M masking tape.

Cosmo

P.S. A fake VIN tag is ANY tag not placed by the factory. And any fake VIN tag constitutes a felony in every state.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Opps...... Sure. Go for it. It just might work.

6. Wow I did not to this emotional. I'm one of the good guys. I was trying to avoid taking a knife to a fine lady. Felony, REALLY.! You guys should just chill.

7. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't like the answer then don't ask the question, they are stating the facts.

8. Sorry I was away so long I just made pop-corn. Anybody want any? What did I miss? Hmmmm very enlightening.Ok, I'm going to leave you fellows alone now. Here on the east coast it's past my bed time. Therefore, talk among yourselves. I try to catch up in the morning. Oh, BTW thank you all the legal wisdom, the last time I was made a where this plethora of legalize is the times in the summer my brother was home from Harvard Law School.
    Good night:D

9. metalman

metalman

Yes, felony. Really.
    Maybe the cop will think your a good guy and not arrest you, he might just take your car away instead, this happened to one of our locals when the inspector suspected an altered vin. This is not drama, most law inforcment agencys today are getting really picky about vin's since in reality a factory stamped vin is the only proof the car is not stolen and retagged. It's one of the cases were if they see an altered vin you ARE guilty till proven innocent. If it was mine I'd grind the paint off and hope to hell there IS a number there. Actually I wouldn't buy a car without a legible vin, I'd make the seller grind the paint off and prove it was there before I bought it.
    I hate it but some of the chassis that come out of my shop are finished nicely, primed, blocked sanded, painted, cleared, ect. They all have a flaw in them however, every one has the vin covered during the whole process so that area is left with nothing but a light coat of paint, I never, ever cover a vin.

10. mustangdug

mustangdug

Maybe try it in another state where they dont do inspections? Washington state is one that doesnt, yea i know long way away but there are some states out east that dont have titles at all isnt there? Just registrations?

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That won't matter. Even if he did get a title in another state, when he went to transfer it to his state, they would demand a VIN inspection.

There is no end-run around this. Suggesting methods to bypass following the law just makes us look like bad people. Everybody please stop.

Figure out where the VIN is supposed to be. Clean it until it is exposed.

Man-up, move-on. This is not leagal-eze, this is plain English law.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. And yes, it is a FELONY.

12. kursplat

kursplat

a little OT, but, what if it had a new re-pop'd or shop made frame and the rest of the car was pieced together from 10 other donors?

13. In most states, new inspection and titled as a new car or bonded title, or both.

14. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Here in KY, [which is a stickler when it comes to VIN tags], you have to make a paper etching of the vin and take it to the DMV and the STATE sends you a state issued tag and tells you where to permanently attach to the body. It is the same in at least 2 of our neighboring states and I cant believe it would be much different where you live. I know it is a pain in the ass, but to be legal to title or sell that car to an out of state buyer someday, you may have to do just that. It is the first thing I do to every old car I buy. Good luck.

15. First are you going to a private tag agency or a State run DMV ?

I had two vehicles and a motorcycle that had Michigan titles/registration. After moved to Florida,
    I went to STATE RUN DMV, with the paper work. The lady behind the counter took the paper work, and went outside in the parking lot and verified the Vin #, and verified insurance.
    That is all there was to it.

Both vechicles had numbers stamped deep in the frames by me. 1/2" tall #s for the truck and 3/8 tall #s for the car. One was a hand made frame and the other had the vin# under the frame, did not want them to lay on the ground, so I made one and attached where she could see it, with no trouble.

All they do is check that, the #s match the title, and not stolen, and color, no miss match paperwork.

These were, three different visits to the DMV, NOT A FLUKE !

If for some reason, there is problem, go home and fix it and go back.
    It is that easy.

Bob

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  16. Finally some in Fla. had some experience Thank you Bob

17. Tony:
    What part of Fla are in ?
    Bob

18. Also make sure you go to a State run DMV

19. He asked about FLORIDA no where else, speaking of a chill pill!

20. Thanks:)

21. mustangsix

mustangsix

I can't answer your question on whether it would be acceptable to add a secondary VIN tag but, it doesn't necessarily need to be a cop verifying the number, either. Done this a couple of times, once a the DMV and once by Notary. On the 82040 form it says:

...... BY A LICENSED DEALER, FLORIDA NOTARY PUBLIC, POLICE OFFICER, OR FLORIDA DIVISION OF MOTOR VEHICLES EMPLOYEE OR TAX COLLECTOR EMPLOYEE.......

That's on the form itself. In the statutes it also adds "any commissioned officer in the rank of Second Lieutenant and above". Being a retired Army officer I know a bunch of guys that could do that, but haven't tried that one.

I'm in Orlando. I don't know why they can't do it at other offices, but I always got directed to the office on Clarcona-Ocoee Rd.

22. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

I got my 41 with a Virginia title, just went to state authorized tag service and did the transfer. No hassle no looking for the vin and no jail time ?????

23. Now there two HAMBers that can properly address a simple question.
    Wow how refreshing:)

24. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

It is not a felony to attach a.. VIN.. IF, it is not to defraud.

How can an official swear that he actually read the VIN if he can not read the VIN?

When I painted my duce frame, I masked a rectangle around the serial # with several layers of tape and poured clear on top of it. It is readable to this day.

Ps, I always check other duces at car shows and have never found one in the correct place. :eek:

25. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

In this case it wouldn't be illegal to add a secondary VIN number I wouldn't think, but it certainly better match the real one if they want to actually see it. If the DMV people buy the secondary one then great. This situation is different than people adding the VIN tag to a car that doesn't have a VIN on it already that's where the criminal act comes into play.

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

I have had a couple of vehicles that had a vin # on a title but none visible on the car. I ordered vin# tags with the numbers from the titles and just attached them to the frame with the adhesive backing and never had a problem. You could do the same thing and if anyone asks (which I'm sure they never will) just say the vin# tag was there when you bought the car. No one could ever prove it wasn't and that you put it there. I'd bet money you'd never have problem. Besides what old DMV biddy knows where the vin# is supposed to be anyway. Other then doing it this way will open you up to an endless hassle. Besides there's no attempt of fraud as you have a valid title and vin#.

27. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Eh, why not, I'll put in my .02.

I can't say I've ever read the regulations, but I know I've walked into the DMV in Illinois with a Title and bill of sale and they've issued me a new title in my name. Did it with a '35 pickup. No one asked to see anything, and the truck was (is) still in pieces in the garage.

Mike

Hell, I even got the plates and registration too.

28. 327Eric

327Eric

Just take it in for the inspection. Lots of advice here, but unless it comes from the person doing the inspection, its all worthless. You can dress up the area if you have to scrape it, even make an aluminum plate that screws in over the top of the exposed numbers, with the numbers stamped in it as you described, but to cover the scar. I've been pulled over and had my V.I.N. inspected due to som Y.O.M. plates, and its much easier when you play by their rules, even if it is a bit inconvenient sometimes.

29. Kansas Old School

Kansas Old School
    from Kansas

I lived in Florida for many years, the form that you use for vin verification can be signed also by a licensed motor vehicle dealer, or a notary public, maybe you know someone who can help.

30. txturbo

txturbo

my advice is to go through an auto title service. I always do. They can also do the inspection or they will have someone they use all the time do it if it is necessary. That way if something comes up fishy....there is no law enforcement involved and they will just say they can't do it. If you involve someone with law enforcement they will have to act on the situation if something isn't right. You could get fined, arrested or get the car impounded possibly.