Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 Pontiac frame questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by havi, May 5, 2011.

1. toddc

toddc

I measured it all up at the beginning of my Poncho project. Jag XJ is not as easy into a Buick/Olds/Pontiac as it is into a Chev. There were legal reasons why I couldn't do it here in Oz. But it should be easy enough to achieve in America. In the pic below, the 2 red lines are the outermost point of the rails at their bulge for the spring seat. The blue lines are at the width of the inside of the Jag spring towers. As you can see, trimming off the bulge cuts the front clean off the chassis. I would suggest cutting the rails off at the green line and folding up and fitting appropriate C sections to make the front of the chassis narrow enough. This would then suit just about any type of front suspension I can think of (that's worth using at least)[​IMG]

Alternatively, Poncho39 grafted a clip from a 1969 Firebird onto his chassis.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526141

2. Jag would be awesome!

3. havi

havi

I think I'll start looking for original wheels for this car. Anybody got some?

4. estelwarren

estelwarren

wood like grills if good 606 224 2135

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Im into Buicks and I see very few old Pontiac parts at all, but keep on trying. My neighbor has found some rare Oldsmobile parts tho. Things like some doors and trunk lids will interchange, as will glass, I think some of the frames may be similar but Buicks have completly different suspension, Oldsmobile is similiar to Pontiac in many ways, coupe bodies are worth keeping as they are rare, and modern frames and suspensions have been used making that part of the build cheaper.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  6. havi

havi

What I'm looking for now, is a hood and trim, hood sides, and running boards though I think Chevy boards might work.

7. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

If you get a 39 pontiac coupe going you will have a rare car. They seem rare to me . Dads 39 straight 8 coupe took us from Chicago to LA in 1944. 2 flats, and a water pump was needed on route 66.

8. havi

havi

Awesome!

There isn't enough to these 2 coupe bodies to make 2 cars, but should make at least 1 decent one. Last Summer I found a '49 2dr w/strt8 that will become the next project after this one.... it's a complete slantback.

last Fall, at the MSRA Fall Campout, I got to take a good look at the '39 Pontiac coupe that won rod of the year. It's purple and white, and on the internet.... I forget the owner's name.