Register now to get rid of these ads!

Todays youth NOT interested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Aug 27, 2013.

1. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

here in the north bay there are plenty of younger folks into the older cars.

in my opinion, there seems to be less interest because of the availability of newer cars. i'm only 33 but when i was in high school all my friends drove 60's cars. the tuner scene hadn't hit big yet, an import was a volkswagen bug, etc...

i think the biggest hit to the vintage car scene here in napa is the loss of cruise nights. i remember going out every friday and saturday night, cruising, and parking. shooting the shit, blah blah. that plain doesn't happen anymore

2. Branded

Branded

My 18 year old is interested but moneys tight for him, I have bought what I call a father son project. We both work on it and get to spend a lot of quality time together doing something we both enjoy. I get to supply the money and know how and teach him the correct way of doing things, he gets to enjoy the fruits of his labor. It's time like these that make great memories.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. geage

geage

look at my son aiden in the upper right in front of the coupe,very contently trying to hot wire it.while his brother ethan reassures his friend in the drivers seat of the T ,''no really it will be ok we come out and burn rubber in these things all the time ,dad has NO idea'' little do they know the garage cam is keeping track of there every move

Attached Files:

4. badnabor

badnabor

Boy, you and Obama are watching everything!

5. geage

geage

.{{{{{Boy, you and Obama are watching everything!}}}}} HA HA HA so true ,,,,big difference,, I admit it ,

6. buggy5872

buggy5872

I try to foster my kids in learning the trades of hot rodding. They are only 9 and 10 but spend time in the garge with me. They know their way around the car and can weld a little. Will they be into it as much as I????who knows. All I do is try to get them involved. We need to promote the hobby and include the youth. My boys have an interest in helping me in the garage but no interest in going to a car show. My youngest made a comment one time " Why do we go to these things? If I wanted to look at old cars I would go into the garage at home" Someday I hope they gain a better appreciation for there peoples cars. Then again they are really young yet.

7. fsae0607

fsae0607

^^^ Gotta get them when they're very young. I tried to get my 9-year old stepdaughter to help me in the garage, but her attention span was too short. Now she's 12 and at least likes to go for rides in my truck.

My wife's preggo with my son. I have my wife hang out in the garage with me. I'm starting to get my son involved in cars right from the womb! So far my fetus son has listened to rapping glasspacks, air compressor and grinder noise! Also threw in some Rockabilly music for good measure! :D

8. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391104989.029157.jpg
    He is interested, one of my favorite pictures...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. racer_dave

racer_dave

I think its a straight up money thing , just like it was for us when we were young. My daughter is going to be learning how to drive this summer and we've already discussed car choices, and perused lots of cars on the web. The older cars she loved were 71-73 Mustang fastback, 72-73 Torino fastback, 59-61 Impala, 70-71 Cuda. For more modern cars she liked a nissan 300z, s-10 blazer, BMW 328i, nissan 240sx.

I've been racing for years and have a shop to build whatever we want, but reality is, we can't build a decent roadworthy car off the 'classic' list for less than 8 grand. All of the classic cars are about 3 grand for a semi-straight hull with a locked up motor, and is gonna need tons of sheet metal work plus interior. But, I can get any of the cars off the 'modern' list running and driving for 2 grand. So after we do whatever mods we want, we're still in the car for less than 4 grand.

When I got my driver license you could pick up Camaros, Mustangs, Fairlanes, Chargers cheap. Now the cheap cars are the imports we all love to hate. So as much as she wants her Torino, its a no-go unless we come across a bargain.

10. fsae0607

fsae0607

GM G-Bodies (Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, etc.), 2nd & 3rd gen Camaros & 5.0L Mustangs make a good platform for cheap performance. Better than an import.

11. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Just turned 23 and have had and built more cars than I can count. Here's just a few

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391106800.600676.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391106862.498345.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391106905.621119.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391106954.177271.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391107003.547810.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391107081.728922.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1391107130.535933.jpg

Sent via my typewriter

12. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

I work in the automotive aftermarket for a manufacturer that produces restoration products and through the ARMO organizations meetings (sub category of SEMA) the common topic is the groups "Take a kid to a car show" initiative which has been an effort for quite awhile. Who our next customer and employee is of constant interest for all involved because not only is it a passion for many of us, it is a livelihood as well.
    I frequent a large quantity of shows through out the year for my job (Charlottes, Carlisle, Pamona) and for the most part, there are very few "kids" that attend. Let's face it, unless a young person is brought to a show by an adult the chances are pretty slim that they will be exposed to the hobby. The truth is that most folks get a little nervous when a youngster gets near their pride and joy. These shows are overwhelmingly attended by 40+ year olds.
    I have been part of a group of car guys that have participated in a number of "career days" at the grade school level. The interest and excitement that the kids have for these cars are there and very real it is just that most are not exposed to the cars anymore from their dads or mom's. From my experience, it still appears that these cars draw forth the interest and excitement today that they did for us when we got the bug but there is a gap between being exposed and actually getting involved for young people which is magnified by the money that it takes to get started.

There are still young people building cars and that is a good thing. I just wonder what is going to happen to the hobby once the large number of baby boomers exit through to the stage where having/building/operating these cars is feasible. To me, and I fall just outside this bunch on the younger side, the memories and history that made these cars special and desireable will to a large part lost. I believe the hobby will always be around but that it will consolidate in numbers in the future.

13. 49coupe

49coupe

Prices will come down to something more affordable. Certain icons aside, most people buy cars later in life (40-50s) that they always wanted in high school or college. If I had to "invest" in a car, a clean, low mile 1995 911 Turbo would be a better bet than a 1936 Packard or Pierce Arrow roadster in 15 years.

The other thing we have to get over is that in many cases "traditional" cars will be outnumbered by ones with modern conveniences and power plants in my opinion. For the price of rebuilding and fitting a 1960 401 Buick in my 1949 Ford coupe, I could have had a 4.6 DOHC Ford with an AOD 2X over. Better gas mileage and it would still be fast with a lot less weight and better handling. Compare the price of a stock, restored shoebox vs a street rodded one with a 350/350, PS, PB, air, pwr windows, etc.

14. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Ya gotta love Robb's attitude...and truth,

15. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I have showed my car at a local junior college who offered vo-tech classes. They had a two-day show in midweek to show their school off to high school students. I found these young people very interested in classic cars. They looked at all areas of the car; asking many questions. I remember one year a friend brought an vintage pre-muscle Mopar that had a push button transmission and front seats that swiveled when the door opened. That car was too popular and had to be locked to save the seat motors. World of Wheels in K.C. has a large crowd of vo-tech students on opening day at a pre-show session. I'm told it is one of bigger vo-tech sessions. Detroit has the largest turnouts. I'm not concerned if they like newer cars as long as they interest in cars. There is an event here in Missouri at the Lake of the Ozarks called the Magic Dragon. It's now two show areas; one for the classic rods and customs and another area nearby for the late model foreign and domestic cars. It gets bigger every year.

16. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I convinced some old hotrod buddies to attend the first Greaserama. Once they mingled with the young Los Punk Rods, they realized they had a bunch of young guys to share with. My friends have been to every Greaserama since. Everybody is tired of the cookie cutter car events.

17. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I know I'll get flamed for this but here goes...why care if the youth are not interested?

I have raised 3 kids, 2 daughters ages 23, 20 and a son 14. The girls have no interest in cars other than transportation, and my son does have some limited interest in cars. He likes my Acadian, but is more interested in tuner cars, like Hondas, BMWs etc.
    Do I care?...not at all! He is not me. I expect him to have his own hobbies and interests. Why should I even care if he is interested in old cars? It's my hobby/interest, not his! When I'm dead, will I care if the young people like old cars?
    That said, my son still comes to some old car gatherings with me. I enjoy our time together, be it with my Acadian, playing catch, watching TV, giving him a ride to friend's houses, saying good night to him. Your kids grow up fast, enjoy them for who they are!

Attached Files:

18. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

I purchased my first vehicle four years ago. 1953 ford f250 flathead v8 3spd heavy duty trans. I have a build thread for it on this forum search 300 cu inch big six in a 1953 for pickup to find it. I am starting to put it all together now. Purchased it when I was 12 years old with my OWN money and will finish and pay for every detail with my OWN money. Once finished it will be just another piece of equipment I will use for my cattle business. Is that enough interest in this hobby for you guys? Btw I respect all of you guys, but with every year older you are, the more respect I will give. I can think of nothing better than to sit down with an old timer and just keep my mouth shut and listen.

Brute strength and ignorance can overcome any mechanical problem. (not)

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Been a lot of talk of the high price of available projects for the younger set.So true.BUT as has been said"Seek and ye shall find".
    Back in the day(early 60`s),when reasonable priced projects were able to be found,a friend of mine went to a local JY and bought with his own hard earned cash SIX 32 3 and 5 window coupes that were complete, for a total of $800.00 cash.All were drivers when brought into the yard.His Father helped him to bring them home on a couple of flat beds and a couple of trailers.To the best of my knowledge,he and his sons still have and drive them on a regular basis.They are all original.They all had the original titles.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Buckster

Buckster

I believe I saw a recent editorial about this very subject in a recent rod magazine but can not put my hands on it. Anyone recall which issue that editorial was in??

21. canucktruck

canucktruck

Today's youth need to be exposed to the vehicles that we love in order to be interested. My theory is to take the cars to the kids.

I started a program where we take teh cars to kids in LS (Life Skillls) and Challenged Students programs and share what the hobby has meant to us in our hobby, job skills, family, friends and lives in general. The kids then get to go for rides in our vehicles and we will be taking them to Prom as well. There have been huge results, these kids are now inspired for new futures, new ideas and helping out others.

Check it out on Facebook at "My Prom Is" or go to youtube and look at the video under MrCanuckTruck.

Yeah I know this pic is a "Rat" but check out the rest!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  22. racer_dave

racer_dave

I do something similar. I take my racecars to the schools (I have 3 kids in middle and intermediate schools) and teach a math+science+racecars class. I tailor it to whatever the kids are learning. Geometry, Algebra, Multiplication/Division, Physics. I love teaching it and it gives the kids a chance to see real-life application for what they are learning. If someone would have showed me this when I was a kid, I'd have paid a LOT more attention.

Things I've learned:

• The term 'fireproof underwear' is universally funny. (admit it, you snickered)
    • Its cool to hear the math teach comment in the background 'I didn't know that'
    • If you ever want the principal to s*** his pants, fire up a 600HP open header modified right outside his office :)

Attached Files:

23. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Sadly this is pretty much true. I am 15 and love old cars but I am the only kid interested in old cars at my school. the only things kids are interested in is either civics or lifted trucks.

24. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Today's Youth, "HANG IN THERE!"
    I'm a grandpa with 4 grandkids. I've always exposed them to what I've been doing with my Hotrod. Kid's are the same everywhere and all through the decades. If you make it interesting, they will be interested. If you say, "don't touch Grandpa's car it's old and expensive" you've lost them right there.
    Get the kids, the neighborhood and even the Church involved. The Church where I live has a member that lives near me and he loves old cars. I asked if he would sponser a car show once a year and he said sure. It's going on 5 years and it's grown to over 100 cars!

It's a good thing to share.

25. The minority deal has been going on for quite a while with "today's youth". When I was in high school just 25 years ago, there were probably half a dozen kids into old cars out of a school that probably had close to two thousand juniors and seniors. As has been mentioned, I try to make it fun for my kids and my oldest (now 9) is planning how to build his 59 Biscayne instead of playing video games, etc. I am pumped for sure and look forward to passing on this hobby within my own family and to their friends as well. This first picture was taken about 3 years ago when my boys were 6 and we are fixing to get started building the 59 this year. They got to be involved in the car stuff way before that as well as can be seen by a couple other pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jeffd1988 likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I went to a church show a couple years ago and the fun factor was off the scale. We got to talk about and explain our cars, to a very sincere and willingly to learn group of people. The kids were well behaved and interested. We started our cars multiple times by requests of "Let me hear what it sounds like."

A must do for ANY car guy.

27. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm 26 and obsessed. It all starts with Hotwheels and model cars, folks... I've already started giving them away. Not only are they the future of hot rodding, but they are future customers. The more educated the youngsters are, the better chance they won't outlaw old cars when they grow up to be congressmen.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  28. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

That's the spirit! Go-man-go!

29. big_dan

big_dan
    from Tennessee

On the young side myself (38) and have played with these old cars for years and have no worries except the ridiculous cost of some of these cars . .

Anyway, my 11 year old can weld (MIG only, but he learned at 7), can time a SBC and tries his best to keep me busy keeping my old rides on the road. So, with the projects I have in waiting, him and his brother are primed to keep at it for years.

Funny note, though, I had my 53 Chevy daily driver (summer:D) out the other day just cruising and hunting around - and a young couple was strolling along with their ~4-5 year old daughter riding along in front. She saw my truck - said "that's fricking awesome" and wrecked her bike.

There's still hope IMO.

Dan

30. mynameiseric

mynameiseric
    from TX

Just wanna say that there is a youth interested...
    17 with a 53 Chevy.
    Not paid for by mommy and daddy...
    Bought it, have and plan to do much more to it...

Attached Files: