Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Options for channeling my 34 Ford cab...stock subrails or new subfloor?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HardcoreZ28, Jan 26, 2014.

1. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Hey guys I'm working on getting my 34 project all mocked up and the next step is going to be channeling the cab over the frame. I have a brand new Pete & Jakes 32 frame for it. Under the cab the frame is 6" tall and I don't want all of that showing. I'm going to channel the body either 4 or 6" most likely to hide most or all of the frame. The top has already been chopped 6" as well.

Can I just remove the stock subframe pieces inside the cab and move them up? I know the very front footwell area pieces will need to be shortened/modified if I do this. My rails are in good but not great shape.

Would I be better off making an entire new subframe from like 1" square tubing? Or maybe a combination of both?

Just want to know what most other guys are doing. I tried searching but couldn't find the exact input I'm after. Thanks for any help.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Hope you are short !! 6" chop and 6" channel ??

3. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Yeah I'm going to start with a 4" channel. I mean I'm like 5'9" and will give up some function for form on this truck but don't want to be completely cramped in there. I'm mostly worried about leg/foot room since I wear a size 13.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Rig up an approximation of a seat, lay a 4" thick box on the floor in front of it, tape a 6" thick box to the ceiling, and luxuriate in your cockpit. Study possible routes for column, wheels, pedals...You may not like all aspects of the scene...

5. alchemy

alchemy

When you decide to channel (if you still fit after Bruce's experiment) I think you'd better keep the stock sides of the subrails where they are. Then cut out just enough of the center to fit over the frame. This will ensure the doors still have room at the bottoms to fit in the jamb. Also, keeping as much of the stock stuff tied together will help keep the cab square(ish) during the operation.

6. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Alchemy that's a great idea. The top is already chopped. I tried it with 5" of block on the floor and it was tight but doable. After checking some other measurements it looks like 3" of channel will be my best bet. More than that puts the body in the way of the hairpin mounts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. WDO40

WDO40

we have one with 5" chop and 4" channel works out ok

8. alchemy

alchemy

Mock it up and then sit in the truck for at least half an hour. If you can't take it, you won't be able to enjoy that truck.

9. Man it will be tight in their I have a 34 with a 4, chop and my seat is set low and me at 6 ft it is a good fit would like to see some pictures

10. fortynut

fortynut

In my head I see Stroker McGurk at the race track, with surprise registered on his face, as a guy with a regular body and really short legs and no neck walks past. The caption says, "Hardcore just chopped and channeled his pickup." Rave on.

11. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

I drilled out the factory seat platform the other night and was going to start the channel yesterday but I blew my back out. Hoping I can get back to it after working the Super Bowl the next 2 days. I'm gonna go with the 3" channel and mount the seat directly to the floor if I have to.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Why would you want to hide such a beautiful profile of a '32 chassis? jw..

I did a 4" chop and channel on a '30 sedan about 10 years ago, it didn't seem much at the time from looking at the profile since there were many other A's with a more radical chop and channel, but if you plan on doing any serious seat time behind the wheel you'll realize real quick at what a pain in the ass (and neck) it is to drive. JMHO