Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHiPs episode gasser 55 chevy???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Short-Stack, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Short-Stack

Short-Stack

does anyone remember such an episode? If I remember right it was red & white mabye ponch was driving it at some point. straight axle car i believe. I have had no luck searching for it. I am looking for pics of that car.

thanks
    short-stack

2. brandon

brandon

i remember one with some drag racing ....possibly at riverside....? seen it when i was a kid.....and haven't seen it since......brandon

3. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

You must be talking directly to me!!! thats my favorite chips epiosode but the car is not a gasser it's a hill racer there was an episode where they had a chp gasser that was a '62 vette. Anyway the '55 was ponchs' old hill racer from when he was a hoodlum before becoming a cop. When ponch was younger he was racing his best friend in a green '68 cougar and his friend went off of deaths door and over a cliff. The guy who died youger brother is now a "hill racer" too and he has a camaro, he never forgave ponch for "pushing" his brother off of "deaths door" and finally ponh has to go and get his old '55 from his buddy in the barrio who still has it covered up in the garage just waiting for him, Ponch gives his buddy a day to get it all tuned up and ready to race the hill again. Ponch racer the younger brother and proves that the death of his brother was not ponches fault, and the kid stops racing the hill before he ends up dead too. By the way if you want to go road racing thru the hills and sharp turns of california I can't imagine a better car that an ill handleing '55 2dr sedan with big a little tires and a big block and a tunnel ram.:confused:

4. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I don't remember that episode but I do remember the one where they went drag racing with the 56-7 Corvette Super Gasser. At the very end Ponch chased down the criminal's drag car AMX while in the Corvette on public streets. It was funny to hear how loud the motors were screaming with the drag car gearing. On another note, I can't believe I used the name "Ponch" in a post.

5. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

One more thing it wasn't a straight axle car but it did look like a gasser becase of the tire combo and the fact that it had no front bumper.

6. JAWS

JAWS

I finally found a picture of it!

Back from the dead thread!

And the episode to enjoy!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  7. metal man

metal man

^^^^Looks like Squirrel's car.

Deuces and slayer like this.
  8. JAWS

JAWS

I thought the same thing...lol

Deuces and slayer like this.
  9. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

Old thread but the old drag racing one was called "Forty Tons of Trouble" season 4 episode 10. Ponch got ahead of the bad guy and pulled the chute and stopped him. I always wondered how Ponch on a cops salary could afford the Pontiac Firebird and that killer condo down at the marina. I used to watch the old reruns on TBS years ago before taking the kids to school in the morning.

Deuces likes this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Kickbacks and bribes! ;)

Bob Lowry and Deuces like this.
  11. And stuff from the evidence room! LOL:eek::D

Bob Lowry and Deuces like this.
  12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

And all the free doughnuts he could eat.;)

Don

Deuces likes this.
  13. Muttley

Muttley

He used to supplement his income by selling T-shirts with his picture on them:

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Who else skipped through the episode JAWS posted and saw the trunk fly up then stay shut the rest of the race and in some parts the 55 would have 4 disc then in others it would have cragars showing on the back then back to disc:D

I remember knit picking that stuff in movies with my dad when I was a kid:D

15. WOW! Deja Vu. I rented 2 cars to the studio for that episode and was an xtra in it. It was filmed on Santa Suzanna Pass, which connects the San Fernando Valley to Simi Valley and was supposed to imply that they were road racing on the famous Mulhulland Drive. What was so typically inaccurate of casting of the cars is they road raced a raised up 55 against a raised up Cougar, while my 2 lowered cars (1 a 69 Z-28 which was made for road racing) sat in the background. They paid pretty well and Eric Estrada traded his helmet with the chef's hat and served us lunch

Deuces likes this.
  16. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Not all gassers had straight axles! lololol

Attached Files:

17. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Wow soo cool I just had to watch it. Thanks I use to watch it as a kid never renber that episode tho...

18. James6speed

James6speed

I've seen that episode, it seemed their take of "King of the Mountain".

19. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Ponch got the Firebird waay cheap because him and John pulled up to a distubance and the guy was threatening to set the car on fire and ended up doing just that. They put the fire out and Ponch took the car.

At least thats how I remember it.... could be wrong tho... its been a loooong time since I saw it.

20. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

That is very strange now that you mention it I remember seeing that one as a kid and that is exactly how he got the gold firebird......probably got the silk jacket off the perp.too!!

22. Here's something I just remembered looking on this thread and found on Youtube. Another one with Cops and a Gasser (well, looks like one).
    Adam12: Reed's Gasser takes on Well's Camaro at the strip towards the end of this episode.
    The actor who plays owner of the strip is Dick Clark.

http://youtu.be/EVwEqlp_VdE

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  23. CHIPs, couldn't get enough of it as a kid. Mom always complained there was to many car accidents on the show. It was much better than the crap now days on tv. I miss the simple life.

24. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

I believe former Junior Stock racer Chuck Norton's 1968 Camaro stocker is also in that Chips Drag Racing episode. I have a Super Chevy magazine with an article about that episode somewhere, I'd have to look for it.

25. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

The drag racing scenes were filmed at Brotherhood Raceway Park (closed years ago). Wasn't there a rumor they could reopen that place ?

26. afan

afan
    from michigan

Isn't there an episode of "DRAGNET"that involved street racing, and a car club?
    I'am a old guy,but I think it had some every day hotrods in it.And if I remember Wally Parks is in it.You guys are great at searching for this kinda stuff. Good luck and Party on.

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I was watching an old rerun (think it was Andy Griffth) and the 55 from blacktop was in it (or looked just like it). it was parked in a side alley.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  28. Cecil

Cecil

Afan .... Two episodes of Dragnet The Big Hot Rod and The Big Rod !!! Wally was in the episode of Life of Riley called Juvenile Deliquent. I have the big rod episode but can't find the big hot rod episode.

29. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

That was an episode of Adam-12...the '55 was used for a getaway car...

milwscruffy likes this.
  30. Cecil

Cecil

I have over fifty old tv shows with hot rods in them.I been collecting them over twenty five years.Im still looking for a window on main street episode with the Barris Twister T in it, Also the old Straightaway tv series from 1961.Love that Bob episode called Chuck buys a Hot Rod and a Fury episode called Joey's Jalopy.And The Tycoon episode called Dragster Andrews with Tommy Ivo and his Barnstormer.