Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features * Wire Wheel only pic thread *......

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3wLarry, Aug 22, 2010.

1. They look like GM/Chevrolet from about 1936

2. Yup, 6-lug gives it away...I'd say 1935, as I believe Chev switched to artillery wheels in 36.

3. Gary,

I think you're right, but here's a '36 Master with wires to see what it'd look like:D:

Attached Files:

4. mow too much

mow too much

I love these, had a set on my 35 Ford coupe about 20 years ago, works of art...:cool::)
    [​IMG]

5. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Awesome picture!! Those look like a 16" 1930s chevy truck wheel. Pretty rare actually. Anyone have any similar pictures?

6. You got me :D

7. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Here's mine, I'm not sure if I should put trim rings on...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    ROCKER77 likes this.
  8. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

my 31 pickup, I am also undecided about trim rings

Attached Files:

9. VA T

VA T

Clayton,
    Your Dad's philosophy come through loud and clear in your wonderful Model T. It will always be one of my favorites!

10. PA2KS

PA2KS

OK guys, i thought i was hooked on red stealies but i have officially changed my mind to red with stainless wires....

11. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Thats a beautiful truck.

12. Bader 2

Bader 2

Powder coated black7.50 and 6.00x16

Attached Files:

13. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

at small show in Nor Cal recently SAM_0065.JPG

15. tofords

tofords

16. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I finally got mine mounted. Now I'm contemplating putting on the ribbed beauty rings.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  17. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

4rear-2.jpg TWSNov09070 2.jpg 10402749_10152481346838259_5568611256957683998_n.jpg WIRE WHEEL TECH

The next time you encounter a vintage racing car with wire wheels

Look at them with a little bit of respect.

Wire wheels are very interesting and there is a lot more to the way they work than most people think.

There were three brands of wheels that were common in US oval racing in the 20s, 30s, 40s and, even, into the 50s. The low buck option was the stock Ford, welded spoke wheels made by Kelsey-Hayes. These were a bolt on wheel..........Another brand that I have run across is the Buffalo wire wheel. They were used on 30s and 40s “big cars” They used real threaded spokes and appeared to be a quality wheel......... The “top of the line” wire wheels were the Dayton Wire Wheels made in Dayton, Ohio. This company is still in business. They were used on the Indy Cars in the 30s, 40s and into the 50s.

Most of the good wire wheels were built on the, Euro origin, Rudge-Whitworth metric splined hub. Why? I’m not sure, unless it was from the influence of the pre WW1 euro participation at Indy. It was always a mystery to me how the most basic part of the most American type of racing used a euro metric standard component....??? Even into the 50s, some of the first magnesium wheels were built to fit on the Rudge metric splined hubs.

There was a lot of more dynamics in a wire wheel than most people realize.

Wire wheels have a radial, lateral and vertical spring rate and can, totally, change the handing and feel of the car depending on spoke count, length and tension.

Ted Horn used his wire wheels for suspension tuning by having wheels with different spoke tensions and/or lace patterns for different race tracks and track conditions.

With today's totally rigid wheels the lateral spring rate is done with different tire side wall construction.

In the early 20s, Tommy Milton, Harry Hartz and Ira Vail had Millers that were0 sponsored by DiSteel. DiSteel made steel disc wheels.

They used their sponsor's wheels during the Indy 500, but found the ride very harsh compared to the softer spring effect of the wire wheels.

Another interesting effect of the early solid disc wheels or wire wheels with aero wheel covers was that when the drivers turned the front wheels into a corner, the air would catch them, like a sail, and cause the car to oversteer into the corner. For that reason the more common setup was to use the disc wheels in the rear with the wire wheels in front.

The most common sizes of wire wheels were 15”, 16”, 18” and, even, 20” diameter.

I have noticed that there were hardly any migets that used wire wheels.... apparently, there was nothing available in that size (12” diam).

Some of the Euro brands of wire wheels that, probably, saw action in U.S, racing would have been Dunlop, Borranni and Campagnolo.....

I’m sure some of the other esteemed historians of this list can come up with more detailed information than I have and I welcome them to add to this and, also, correct any misconceptions that I may have

Generally, the more flexible the the wheel is in lateral, radial and vertical load, the softer and more forgiving the ride.

Better handling characteristics, such as acceleration, braking and steering, require a stiffer wheel construction.

factors effecting wire wheel dynamics and characteristics

spokes- count

gage

length

material

tension

radial angle of attachment

lateral angle of attachment

lace pattern- radial or cross lace

structural friction

rims- weight

rotational inertia

ridgidity

material

hubs- wieght

rotational inertia

ridgidity

material

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

19. 34dlxcoupe

34dlxcoupe
    from Lincoln

20. gump

gump

21. Larry: My pickup after I put the wires on. Tim 100_0106.JPG

waxhead and 3wLarry like this.
  22. fordy standard

fordy standard
    from Warren, MI

23. robber

robber

cp 260.jpg ..."Wired & Tired"... :)

waxhead likes this.
  24. Finally got my Chrysler wires powder coated and fitted the early ford caps to them. 34side1_15-0small.jpg

mattheruthless likes this.
  25. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

26. silent rick

silent rick

27. 2935ford

2935ford

I've since added hub caps. 32 002.JPG

waxhead likes this.
  28. Haven't seen this one yet. The Rollston Ford with CHROME plated 16" 35 ford wheels. rollston.jpg

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are very classy, IMHO.

30. roadkillontheweb: Those appear to be bent spoke kelseys. I had a set once that looked like ford wheels but were a 4 1/2" bolt pattern. I always assumed they came off a dodge or plymouth, (which is what I think you have pictured) They were 16" wheels but the center hub was a little smaller than the fords, causing the spokes to look longer. Tim