Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ....The 2014 AMBR Winner is....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

They should change the award to "most expensive fordor" Don't get me wrong, I do like the car, But it is not "Americas Most Beautiful Roadster" It might have very well been the nicest car built at that show (prettiest paint etc) But to say it is "AMBR" takes Balls....There are a hell of alot nicer roadsters than this in america......When Poor judging like this happens at a High end contest like this, It has a chain reaction effect....Now next year guys are going to be bringing shit like this to the show trying to win, Instead of a Real roadster's.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. madmike3434

madmike3434

============================================

Well lets see here.........there is precedent for touring cars winning the AMBR........1974, 1976, 1985,
    there are also pick ups that won......1958--1959--1970--1971---1975----1977.
    custom bodies have also won in 1965--1967--1968--1969

So in your opinion unless its : 2 doors, 2 seats, model designation ---**roadster**.. it should not count ???? Even tho its clearly written in the GNRS >>AMBR qualifying rules.

A 1935 Chevrolet phaeton won for the first time ever , and a NON FORD .

Let the bow tie wearing partying begin.......YAHOOOOOOOOOO

mike lynch

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

If your question too me is Do I think 4drs should count as roadster?....The answer is NO!......

4. Doesn't matter what you think though it's what the rules say and the rules say they are. To accuse judges of being bought and saying they don't know what they are doing because you don't agree with what style cars are allowed in the competition is a tad ignorant.

5. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Can't wait to see the details on that fi set-up. Guess we will get more info in the magazines. I can see a theme in the car.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

I wasn't there, just saw the pictures of the AMBR contenders; the phaeton was not my favorite, but after looking at the detail pictures, I like it more...engine treatment is first-class, understated without billet/chrome/high-buck parts, non-functioning blower, etc...it is not overdone, and it is different....sure, it takes high-dollars to compete, but then again it takes high-dollars to compete in almost any contest that has national attention...we little guys never expected even to compete for the AMBR trophy. but we do admire the craftsmanship that high-dollars can buy.

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

By your own admission, you didn't see this car in person, or any of the other contender's, and you have no basis for your outlandish opinions other than a few amateur photographs. The AMBR is judged on a point system. It is an objective choice, NOT A SUBJECTIVE ONE.
    If you don't agree with the choice, why not start your own show, then we can give you our opinions ... :rolleyes:

8. ^^^ What Ed said.^^^

9. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Very Good Point!...I wasn't there But others who posted on this who also think the award went to the wrong car was....Bottomline is I really do not care much about High end awards. As they will always follow the money. But in any case I still stand by what I said, This is not AMBR.....And the opinions of a hand full of judges Can never make it AMBR.....Also the Name of the Award Is "SUBJECTIVE" It says "Americas Most beautiful Roadster".....If you are going to speak for all of america, Then you might want to have a Vote first...Just saying!. Lets Have a poll on here and see if majority says this is AMBR......And to make it fair only americans can vote....How about that.....My point is just because a few guys say it is Does not make it So.......I mean I was watching TV last night, And They said that Some Guy named "billy D" was the "Hot Rod King of So Cal"........I say they are full of shit!!....I never heard of any Billy D....And he sure as hell is No Hot rod king of So cal.....I mean those are some big shoes to fill And I know many Hot rod builders in So Cal who would make him look like a high school custodian in the hot rod building world.

Your right about this, So what is your question?

10. CruZer

CruZer

I was hoping for the RPU to win since it was built by a school and it was beautiful,but I had about 5 of the contenders that I liked.Both Phaetons were perfect but I liked the Ford better despite the stupid posters.

11. ED, the AMBR is SUBJECTIVE - It hasn't been a points system for a while. The other classes are, but AMBR changed a few years back to a panel of mostly respected industry guys who look at everything from How the driver sits in the car to how it looks in motion (which is partly why the guy was driving the one that crashed before the show) to the style and look - as well as fit, finish, execution, fabrication etc.

Jeem likes this.
  12. Joe Didio

Joe Didio

Last year was a home run. What do we call this years winner a stretch roadster.
    Oh well!

13. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hi All !

I was an AMBR judge at this years show. My first time as a judge.
    If you know me, you know, that I know, what a Hot Rod is.
    I'm glad to have been part of the process, and the process works.
    I hope to be asked back, to judge again.
    I'm satisfied with this years winner.

Now, you can all go back to what ever it was you were doing. ;>)

14. First off the rules say, and apparently have said for 50 years or more that it is open to Roadsters, Roadster pickups and Touring models (Phaeton's) 37 and older. So the judges do know what a roadster is in context of the show, whether that is YOUR definition of a roadster or not. And since you also apparently have no idea how this is judged, to say it was "Bought" is an insult to all who participated and only shows your ignorance.

As for this comment, what exactly would you propose - that the judges go and look at every Roadster in the country and then decide which they think is most beautiful? Why would they call it "Most Expensive Fordor" when the car was a Chevrolet? You weren't there, you did not see the build quality of the cars that were there, you have NOTHING to judge and make comments by except some photos on the internet and some comments from the peanut gallery. How is this any different then any contest? You always are only competing against what ever shows up at that given time. The award has been America's Most Beautiful Roadster for some 65 years now. It is open to anyone who thinks they can do better. If no one shows up, is that the fault of the other entrants, or even the show itself? Of course not. Would that car have won last year? probably not. Have I always agreed with the winner? NO. But even when it was done purely on points, there was still some subjective elements that crept in. And while this was not my Favorite car, I did say before the judging happened that it was probably the highest build quality and fit and finish and Might win. And since you made the statement that "Bottomline is I really do not care much about High end awards" why are you getting your panties in such a wad? You obviously do not understand or care about this type of competition so quit trying to push your opinion on others. You stated your peace, now let it go.

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

OOPS! :eek:
    Thanks for the info Don. So, everything else is judged on points EXCEPT for the AMBR? I wonder why they feel they needed to switch, and why they switched only on the big one? Regardless, good to know.
    My apologies.

16. when you compare this years winner to some in the past you appreciate this years winner more. As far as being called a "roadster" some of the past winners are farther from one than this years. At least it looks like a drivable real car instead of some of the outrageous Jetson looking or billet laden monstrosities of past years.

17. Hey Pete - since some guy in KC says this was bought, how much did ya get? Is that how you paid for that Ice Cream Cone?

18. R&C RON

R&C RON

The "Americas Most Beautiful Roadster" award was first given at the 1950 show and every show since. Tubs and pickups have always been included!
    The award is picked from the cars that enter that class. All awards at all shows depend on what shows up.That car is not my style, but it was stunning in person! Fit and finish was second to none.......

19. Nice Car, The biggest checkbook usually wins !

20. My understanding is it was changed so that cars that were built just to score points based on mods and how many trinkets could be added would not win. The uproar started a few years ago when some cars were winning that were obviously built to score points with little regard for style or understanding of what Hot Rod Roadsters (which is a very broad brush stroke) should be. As a former professional judge, i can tell you that it would be very difficult to judge the entire show this way - when you have a small class like AMBR it is fairly easy to see, remember and discuss all the cars. But when you have a class of 20+ cars strewn out over many buildings, a points system is the only reasonable way to get it done. At Intershows I changed the format slightly so that that "Judges discretion" accounted for a small percentage of the overall score to try and help balance things. I don't know if ISCA has that provision at this time or not.

21. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Don

The ice cream cone was $4.50 (my money!)
    I did get a free lunch on wednesday, but after Vic got hurt, I didn't have much of an appetite.

22. c57heaven

c57heaven

Clinkster?:D

23. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

24. It looked really good too! Better than the $16.25 I spent for two hot dogs :rolleyes:

25. Did you see the cars that were winning under the points system? They were far from beautiful, ultra detailed and modifications for the sake of points not beauty.

The show organisers did the right thing changing the rules to Aesthetic base competition.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under the news judging rules

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see much more Aesthetically pleasing roadsters since the new rules were introduced.

26. redo32

redo32

Pete & Don, Thanks for your intelligence and humor in this thread that would other wise be drowning in a sea of stupidity. I went to my first "Oakland" in 1985 and saw most until it moved south and I now accept GNRS as it's name. Made the Deuce 75th and a couple since, in that time the show has been through 3 owners. They have all done what is best for the show. The current philosophy of picking AMBR is way better than the points system and most of the cars the last few years are drivers. We may not be able to convince all these keyboard jockeys, but I remember somebody saying, " I refuse to argue with idiots because they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

27. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Don, Agreed I did show my ignorance (Not the first time prolly not the last...LOL) Also I have let it Go......It is just hard to believe That this car was the best that the GNRS had to offer, And as I stated everything I said is just my 2 cents and that is about all it is worth...

Pete, You Are the Man!! And one of my all time hot rod hero's, And if you say that you were satisfied with the winner, Then that is good enough for me. I will gladly choke on every neg word I said in any other post.....LOL....

28. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

The arguments on here as to whether or not a phaeton is or is not a roadster - who cares! The AMBR sets the rules and the rules indicate all USA built roadsters, roadster pickups, and phaetons 1937 and back qualify..my two cents worth is exactly the way I look at the new cutoff year models set by NSRA and Goodguys - - If you don't like what they are doing - - it's real simple - -DON'T GO!

As far the judges being biased or "bought" - this is outrageous!! I personally know two of the judges and this just ain't gonna happen when these two guys are involved. These guys are true ole skool Hot Rodders!

29. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Three of us walked in the door & he just started talking to us like we were old pals beautiful car that he has & glad he won. Im giving the high schoolers a trophy for "Best First Try"

30. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks for the explanation. Glad they changed the rules. BTW, that 2013 winning car is awesome