Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

So in other good news, I got my transmission back from the rebuilder, and after a new coat of paint it will be ready to throw in the car. I just have to wait on the radiator to be rebuilt and the engine show to finish up. My goal is running and driving dependably by the end of May!

2. Carolina Man

Carolina Man

Cool can't wait to see you driving it.

3. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks! I cant wait to drive it either!

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

5. chstitans42

chstitans42

Hey guys, is $400 too much to pay for a total re core of a radiator? That is what Tiner Rad shop in Lewisville quoted me...

6. Sounds about right

7. chstitans42

chstitans42

Ok but I was hoping it would be cheaper, but copper is expensive right now I guess

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. chstitans42

chstitans42

More painting done yesterday. Sadly I forgot to take pics of the oil filter canister and power steering pump all painted and looking new again...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Awesome work!!

I have a 55 series 62 that needs floors as well. My car is missing all the top end of the engine so it might have had the same head problems lol!!

Good luck and keep up the detail work, it makes a big difference!!

Bill

10. randy

randy

Good looking build.

Just a suggestion...get the proper dark blue when/if you paint the motor. I notice the color you painted the tranny looks pretty bright in photos.

I've owned a few 50's Cadillacs and the stock color is definitely more of a dark navy/indigo blue. It drives me crazy when I see a nice early v8 Cad with a motor that's been spray bombed with off the shelf "dark blue" engine enamel or worse..."Ford blue." Cadillac changed to a lighter blue in the mid 70's, so you have to be careful when something is marked "Cadillac blue" - it usually means the later color.

Here are a couple links that should help. I'd do a spray out to test the color before committing.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART&variation=CAD DRK BL

Some of the guys on the Cad/LaSalle forum did a Pepsi challenge and chose the Hirsch paint:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...006.0+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

11. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Looking good! Keep it up!

12. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks for the tip, I just bought four cans of the cadillac blue, and hopefully that will be enough to paint the engine trans and all the accessories. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to make another video showing some progress.

13. chstitans42

chstitans42

Another day hard at work

14. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

Glad to see your ride getting cleaned up little by little.

15. BenJammin

BenJammin

I saw in a vid you were looking for used glass for your vent window. Your car is similar to mine. I was quoted around $250 for all 6 side windows using either old style glass or the modern laminated safety glass. These guys can correct me, but I'm pretty sure your glass is straight which should be cheap to put in new stuff instead of trying to find a used one.

Good work!

16. chstitans42

chstitans42

That is true, but being on a budget I would rather find a $50 used one that matches all the old stuff and be done with it. I think I might have a lead on the glass, from a 1956 Caddy Sedan DeVille that is being parted in OK

17. crob1

crob1
    from Colorado

Awesome thread. I love to see another beauty getting back on the road again! Great job!

18. BenJammin

BenJammin

Right on. Good luck!

19. Nice "teaser" video with that last-second announcement about your engine coming back. ;) Curious to hear what they found when they got things torn down. :D

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

I hope to be able to include this info on my next video.

21. loudbang

loudbang

Great thread you do nice work.

22. chstitans42

chstitans42

Preparing for the engine which will be coming soon

23. txturbo

txturbo

You can get a brand new one for that from OPGI.

24. chstitans42

chstitans42

I looked but did not see new radiators on their website. Matter of fact I could not find a new one anywhere.

25. txturbo

txturbo

Oh sorry..... That was for my 63. I didn't look for one for a 56. Since yours is apart....can I get a pic of the piece that clamps the rear u-joint to the pinion flange on the rear end? Mine is missing and I don't know what it looks like.

26. chstitans42

chstitans42

Sure, I can get one for you tomorrow.

27. txturbo

txturbo

its ok....I figured it out and ordered what I need. Thanks though.

28. chstitans42

chstitans42

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Bravo...a "money pit", eh...??? Yep, they are, but at least you have the correct attitude about rebuilding a '50's car...

I get more enjoyment out of my '55 Cad out on the highways and byways of this country than ANYONE would in any late model anything...and when you do get that Cad done, don't be afraid to take it on a long trip...they were built for that waaaa-aaay back in the '50's so why not do it today...!!!

Hope you don't mind me posting a thread of my 4,552 mile trip to Canada last July on your thread for those disbelievers that say you can't take an old car on a long trip...that's nothing but nonsense. Go here to view a 5 part trip thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hlight=events+4552+miles+two+weeks+three+days

R-

30. chstitans42

chstitans42

No go ahead, if anything it is inspiration for me! Oh and doesn't that radiator look awesome?