Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hubcap help

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by uglysteve, Jan 28, 2014.

1. So I scored a set of caddy sombrero hubcaps for a pretty good deal. They have these dog bowl type centers and they don't fit on any wheel I've got. Do I need the same year Cadillac wheels for these or what? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390947326.466618.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. evol55

evol55

You need the caddy wheels . Brad Masterson did a how to on how to cut these to fit other wheels though in a car mag.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Some guys mount them to beauty rings and then snap them on the wheel.. They fit different wheels that way...

4. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I bought a set, and was really disappointed when they would not fit a Ford wheel.

5. There's an idea. I got beauty rings maybe I'll try that

6. bako48

bako48

I believe you cut that dog dish out ta the inside and fold the edges around a set of rings

7. I thought of that earlier when I was at the garage. The sombreros have a little folded over lip on the underside, but the rings are a slightly smaller diameter than the outside edge of the sombreros so I can't just tuck them into that lip. I think doing some sort of epoxy job might work. Welding em on would ruin the chrome.

8. bako48

bako48

also if your using your stock Plymouth rims don't forget to take of those tabs that are used to clip on the stock caps.

9. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Kustoms Illustrated issue #36, Brad Masterson shows how to modify them to get them to snap onto standard steel rims.

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

11. I always think it's funny how you see all these cars in old magazines with Caddy or Olds hub caps, but when you try to do it yourself nothing seems to fit.

Those guys back in the day really were slick! Making things look like they're supposed to be that way, but really there is a lot of work that went into it.

12. threewindow

threewindow

I have them on chevy wheels on my 51 merc. They are bolted on in the center. Had some spoked wheel hubcaps with centers that bolted to the lugnuts. Welded a freeze plug to the center of the hubcap and drilled a bolt hole to bolt it on. then I welded a nut on the back of the center medalion and it screws on to the hubcap. Its bolted on to a 3/8 stud and is plenty strong. They can;t be pried off. have pictures on my web sight. Just one picture with the somberos on it . Other pictures are 57 caddy;s put on the same way.