Register now to get rid of these ads!

To all the wide 5 fans, feedback

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Jun 16, 2013.

1. 55willys

55willys

Did you need to change out the studs in the Speedway adapters? I love the look of wide fives without the hub caps but hate seeing the wheel adapter prompting me to do something about it. I have used some of your parts at work (Fosses Hot Rods and Cool Cars), they are good parts. I am doing these adapter covers as a small business venture on the side while I still work at the hot rod shop. Thanks for the encouragement that I am on the right track.:D Jim

2. WOW!!!!! Very cool.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I left the adapters as they are but I run restored 39 hub caps, I've run with no front cap & the chrome hub looks cool but never removed the rear caps , that is why I was contemplating cutting down old drums, getting them chromed to match the front.

4. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Wide 5, s rule .. love em.... look Sweet on a rod..

5. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Quick question, Maybe I'm missing something and I'm way off here but why not just machine them out of original drums (like in the first picture, I think)? Junk wide 5 drums are cheap and plentiful. You should be able to buy as many of those as you want for less than the cost of casting this new piece.
    Jimmy

6. Bull

Bull

That's what Titus did for me.

Before (you can kind of see the Speedway adapter in this pic):
    [​IMG]

After:
    Cutting down the junk wide 5 drum
    [​IMG]

Speedway adapter sandwiched between wide 5 drum face and 9" drum
    [​IMG]

The finished product with wheel in place
    [​IMG]

Side view of car with matching wide 5 drums up front
    [​IMG]

7. 55willys

55willys

No need to cut down old drums, I hope to be done with the first run of these in the next couple of months. The aluminum ones will be much lighter.

8. 55willys

55willys

An original drum cut down weighs about 10 pounds and the aluminum one a bit over 2 pounds. The other reason for doing the adapter cover is that I am making a convertible pattern, meaning I can make rear covers and then change the snout to make front covers. The best part is by bolting another piece on the back of my pattern I will be able to cast front disc brake hubs that fit on 37-48 spindles. This has been my goal all along:D

9. 55willys

55willys

Update, I spent the last couple of weekends fixing up my dads old lathe so I can use it to turn my adapter covers. Got the second half of the pattern made and just need to mount it to a board this weekend and get it back to the foundry. Jim

10. 55willys

55willys

Pattern is being primed and painted, the lathe is working much better (it is over 100 years old) and I got my mill drill up and running. Progress is always slower than I would like. Jim

11. 55willys

55willys

Took the finished pattern to the foundry today and I should have the first test part back in a week.

12. 55willys

55willys

Got my test piece back from the foundry, looks good! Jim

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Cool idea, post up some pics of the casting when you get a chance.

14. Cool, I love wide 5s. Hope you're able to make it all work out.

15. 55willys

55willys

Here are a couple pics of the casting with the snout faced off and the center hole drilled and reamed. I need to buy some tooling for the lathe to facilitate turning the faces. Jim

Attached Files:

16. 55willys

55willys

I just ordered 20 more to make 10 sets. Jim

17. Jim;
    Is the idea that this piece you're casting would be sandwiched between the wide 5 adapter and the wheel? In other words, beyond the functional wheel mounting surface (disc or drum) 1st - wide 5 adapter, 2nd - this newly cast hub, and 3rd - the wide 5 wheel?

If this is the case, will the front and back faces of this casting (where it meets the wheel and wide 5 adapter) need to be machined to be sure the faces are perfectly parallel so that the wheel spins true?

I think this is a wonderful idea and I look forward to see how it works out. Good luck!

18. 55willys

55willys

Yes the stack up is as you say. The front and back will be machined parallel to each other in the lathe, I still am working on the tooling to do it on both sides at the same time like a brake lathe to save time and keep costs down. Jim

19. 55willys

55willys

Got started on machining the faces this weekend. Should be able to get the faces done next weekend and drill all the holes. Jim

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looking good. I've been working on the same idea but for just one project. I'm using the original drums and using my lathe to remove the brake surface. These is going on a one shot deal 60HP scaled down modified.
    Yours would be a whole lot lighter so when you come up with a price I might be a customer. Keep us posted on your progress.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. 55willys

55willys

They are going to cost about $295 a pair. I was not able to get to them this last weekend as my wife is in the hospital. Jim

22. I hope she is better real soon.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. 55willys

55willys

They are all done and ready for sale. I will post pics tomorrow. PM me if interested

24. 55willys

55willys

Just figured out that my camera got stolen along with my laptop so no pics for a bit. Sorry. Jim

25. 55willys

55willys

Here are the pics of the finished product. The adapter is sold by Dick Spadaro and I am making the adapter cover. The $295 is for a pair of adapter covers plus $20 shipping US. Questions call or text 360-536-1441 or email [email protected] Thanks for your interest. Jim Ford (55willys) DSCN0607.JPG DSCN0608.JPG DSCN0609.JPG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  26. 55willys

55willys

debuted my covers at Billetproof Chehalis yesterday and had good response. Great show!

27. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done!.....Great idea!....I like em!

28. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Nice parts. Do you think there's much of a market for this when it will cost basically $1000 for 4 adapters, 4 covers, shipping, etc? Maybe so, but it seems like this will fall into the same category as repro finned aluminum drums where, while its possible to do, the finished product just costs more than 99% of rodders would be willing or able to pay.