Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration An Emotional Connection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. sinticket

sinticket

What a great story. You have made that lady so proud. I am so glad you moved across the street from her (and I have never even met you or her). You may not even know it but she is as happy now as she has been since Jack died. Good for you and her! This story made my day.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. i think someone is chopping an onion near me...

good on you.

4. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

5. Great story. You are a kind heart.

6. jroberts

jroberts

Wow! What a great story. Your good deed has made your neighbor, you and the rest of us happy people.

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

I got out of the car hobby in the early seventies when I moved to Florida. Pub crawling was my main pursuit for many years. Everyone knows that is a dead end but I had to pursue it almost to that dead end to be sure. When my Father died, I was drawn back to cars where I should have stayed all along.

I bought the truck from my brother for nostalgic reasons. In the early sixties, our father was head machinist in an automotive machine shop. His interest in electronics eventually allowed him to pursue a different career line. He would still work on cars for old friends and for my brother and me when we came of age, but it wasn't his favorite pastime. I can still recall the look on his face every time I did something "boneheaded" to my first car, a '59 Ford sedan, that would require his attention. His eyes would roll back in his head as he beseeched heaven, prior to accepting his fate and helping me repair the damn thing.

The last vehicle he ever worked on, before passing on at the end of 1994, was this truck (1955 1st 3100 Chevy), this time with my brother. It is, in fact, the only vehicle left in the family that he worked on. For that reason, and the fact that the first vehicle I ever got to drive was my paternal grandfather's early Advance Design on his farm, I decided to buy the truck when my brother had to get rid of it. For you "Ole Truckers" out there, JR recalls our grandfather's truck as being a "50 advance design 1 ton unit. It had 17.5 inch rims, ten foot bed, three cabs, dozens of doors and fenders and a granie first gear useful for pulling stumps." I often think of my father and grandfather and brother when I'm behind the wheel in this pickup. It's the reason I named the truck "BillyBob." My brother's name is William Craig Kephart and my father's was Robert Joseph Kephart . . . "Billy" and "Bob" worked on this truck together.

And that is why this Jive Bomber entry strikes a strong chord with. Many Thanks.

8. What a great big heart you have,,The car in question my very well be off topic but the kindness you have shown is inspiring. HRP

9. PG

PG

What a great undertaking. Not only to see the car run once again but moreso, I'm sure, just to see the look on her face and know the joy in her heart. It takes a special person to do stuff like that. Not many are left. Good on you.

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

What a great thing you are doing for her. You are a good man. Maybe now you will see some more activity and life coming from that dark house across the street! You've done more for her than you'll ever know.

brando1956 likes this.
  11. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

10 years ago this summer I bought my Grandfather's 1968 Mercedes 250SL, I know off topic car, but it's what he had. He had owned it since new, it was starting to be too much for him to maintain and he rarely drove it, he was 82 at the time. I drove that car as my daily driver in the summer for years, felt the memory of grandmother every time I got in it, it also helped that in the mid seventies she had dropped and brkoen a bottle of her perfume in the car, every so often I can still get a whif of it.

I ended up rebuilding the engine and transmission, although I haven't been driving it as much lately. My grandfather is now 92 and not in good form, he as Alzheimer's now and although still knows who everyone is he doesn't remember alot of things. he was over for dinner and we were talking about cars and racing. He couldn't remember the Mercedes so I took him out the garage and showed him the car, he started to remembers things about it, more events he did with it. I told him to get in and sit in it, as the hard top was on it held some of that scent from my grandmother's perfume, well I'll tell you that scent brough back all kinds of memories for him, he got a little teary eyed, which for my grandfather is something. He sat there for a few minutes just looking things over, when he got out, he came over to me and asked me that when the weather gets warm could we go for a ride with the top down, for old time's sake.

I told him, the first sunny day, expect me.

AndersF and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Man, there is a parking spot reserved for you in heaven. This a really great story. Good for you, man!

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

So very cool. I think my eyes watered a little too....

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That is fantastic.

15. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Outstanding.....that's the right stuff.

16. Your story brought this back to mind. Thanks!
    Over Ten years back my cousin Bill was suffering from cancer brought on by agent orange when He served in Vietnam. He was like my brother growing up and always enjoyed riding in my hot rods. Well he also owned a Porsche and he was no longer able to drive it. He called me up and asked that we take the old girl out for a spin. I knew just what he wanted! Well that day I took Bill in that Porsche and drove the wheels off of it on the back roads of North Stamford and the Parkway. I could see that shit-eaten grin out of the side of my vision. That was a great day and a memory of Bill I will never forget. Bill pasted away shortly after and I miss Him so much. Any time some crazy thing happens I wish he were here to share it. Anyway I will always have that afternoon of breaking more speeding zones than you can imagine. And the grin on Bill's face all the time we were doing it.

17. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

What a great story!! Thanks for sharing. I think we all wish that would happen to us. She'll cherish you forever.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Talk about powerful. Thank you.

19. Everything happens at a time for a reason.
    This is a great start to a great story for all involved.

20. fsae0607

fsae0607

That's very awesome of you.

21. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

This is one of the GREAT BENEFITS of being a car guy!

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

23. jesse1980

jesse1980

24. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good of you . You are blest to share your skills with a neighbor . With no intention of any returns you are a Good Man. You will gain some weight from all the cookies you be receiving.

25. seatex

seatex

Great story, JB............no telling how many times she has wanted to get back in that car for a drive with her memories. For you to be involved with making that happen for her again is quite an honor. Good on you, your family and your new neighbor! Truly inspiring..................

26. Great story and I believe that is what this hobby is all about.

27. texdesoto

texdesoto

28. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

If more folks did spontaneous stuff like this, what a difference there would be in the world. I am an emeritus member of the Kustom Kings of NH. Back in the 80s we had a member who had a disabled son about ten years old if I remember right. He had serious issues and the kids in the neighborhood wouldn't hang out with him. He wasn't very mobile due to his issues. Somebody got the idea of lets build him a hot rod. The club got an old golf cart, tuned it up, painted it, someone pinstriped it and put his name on the back, did the seat in tuck and roll, put hand controls on it with Hurst shifter levers and presented it to him. Wow he was some happy kid and of course all the neighborhood kids wanted to hang out with him and go for rides with him. I still remember that with great fondness.

AndersF and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. m3x1c0

m3x1c0

My first post. Been lurking for a long time but had to come out of the mist to say that these last two articles seriously poked a nerve. I love this hobby and what it can do beyond just smokey burnouts!