Register now to get rid of these ads!

y-block and 3 spd tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TP, Jan 19, 2014.

1. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I have the oppertunity to buy a good running 64 low mileage 292 with a 3spd from a pickup. Is anyone running the 3 spd or can a later model 4 spd be used using the same bellhousing and clutch? I have done a search and guess I'm not putting in the right words. I never have much luck with the search function. I have a 401 nailhead and s/p 400 that I was going to use in the 28 closed cab truck but really like this y-block. Thoughts and opinions welcomed. Thanks TP

2. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I dont know the exact answer but I have seen posts where people have installed toploader Ford trans' in a yblock. I do know the bellhousing is different between a car & a truck. The truck bell has mounting pads on it for the rear engine support. They may also have a hydraulic clutch provision.
    You might post this over on yblocksforever.com for more info.

3. metalman

metalman

You would need a car bellhousing to bolt up a car type 4 speed and even then you have to do some modification, nothing too big however. The truck 3 speed bolt pattern is completely different then the car version.
    Look into a T5 swap, I seem to remember someone doing that and you needed a truck bell to do it easy. A T5 would be a sweeter setup in an A IMHO.

4. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

It depends on which 3 speed you have.. If it is a column shift trans it is probably a BW T-85 Which was also used in cars... If that is the case, an early Ford T-10 or a Toploader would bolt to the bell. Clutch, pressure plate, drive shaft, and clutch linkage might need attention, but it would be a simple conversion

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

Which tranny? Is it a side-cover? Does it have overdrive?

Not true in all cases. I have a B-W T85 OD which has the same bolt pattern as the equivalent car 4-speed toploader. The clutch setup is the same also.

Personally, in a street rod, I'd much rather have the T85 overdrive than a toploader. The lower first gear will pull stronger off the line and the overdrive will cruise quieter and more economically.

jack vines

6. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Those 3 speed Ods will hold up behind a 406 in a 57 ford that got the snot run out of it. You can use it in all 3 gears too like a 6 speed

7. metalman

metalman

OK, I'll stand corrected.
    Guess I've never ran into a truck with a car type transmission, everyone I ever been around has been the truck pattern including my column shift 63 and 54.
    When I did a toploader conversion in my 57 Ranchero it wasn't exactly a "bolt in" to the stock bell. I had to machine the front bearing retainer down a hair and drill 2 new holes in the transmission flange. Nothing tough or difficult though.
    Also had to cut a half inch off of the input shaft.

8. That's because you had a '65-up trans (probably later than '65, as some early-production and 'service' cases had both bolt patterns). The '49-64 trans shared the same mounting design. The 'extra' you had to cut off the input means that was a small-block trans, the FE and Y-block used the same input length.

9. a4278v

a4278v

you can use any top loader 4 speed performance style trans from 1964-77? the 65-up real 4 speeds [non odrive] have both the early and late bolt patterns, the bearing retainers on these need to be cut slightly to fit in your bell the 1964 trans has only the early pattern and does not need the retainer cut. most 4 speed you will find will be for the Mustang and usually will put the shifter too far back for most vintage rides, transmissions from Falcons and Galaxies have the shifter in a nice position for most old rides.some may need to have the pilot bushing portion of the input shaft cut !/4" I can help decipher trans tags and have loads of 3/4 and 5 speeds for Fords along with shifters. and can help you with any questions T-10 are weaker but work well and come in similar lengths and shifter positions thanks Bruce

10. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Yes the tranny is a 3 spd column shift. I have old knees also. What is needed to put a c-4 behind it? Adapter? Use FMX? I like the idea of a manuel shift but don't know how long I would like it.Good information on the 3 spd. No overdrive.

11. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

The Y-block is a good engine choice, I never had one untill I bought this ranchero. It came with a low mileage 292, and a light duty 3-speed od. I like the combo, could stand a little more HP. Mark

12. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

As smart as Ford was they seemed to miss it in the engine area I was told theres a thin metal plate that the starter bolts to in the 60s-70s & that there are something like 17 different ones.Just Sayin'