Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hammer Welding ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crankhole, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Maybe not but someone needs to tell Ford Motor Company they named themselves incorrectly. General Motors too but I'm sort of pissed at them and don't care if they know or not. Who that foreign one ? Oh yeah Bavarian Motor Works or something like that. Come on man !!! These guys need to know and you've got to be the one to tell them. Now take up the torch and and be about your mission. I got your back and will be right behind you.

2. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i think i got a little sick this one is so old.

3. I don't shut off my torch. Just built a stand. I do a lot of welding and my tanks last a long time.
    I haven't done much with TIG. Softer than MIG, but I like O/A better. Once you get past a learning curve it just feels right.

4. mercsforever

mercsforever

The guy that taught me to hammer weld was about 2 days older than dirt.
    I had bought a '34 Ford 3-Window that someone had put a pick up box in years before. I found a deck lid surround and a deck lid. To install that surround straight and true he said let's hammer weld it. Perfect results and a perfect fit on the deck lid. Yeah, I know about the FNG thing, but I have been doing this kind of stuff before anyone could say computer. Yes, I really am that old....:eek:

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are full-size versions. My blacksmith has one.

6. mercsforever

mercsforever

Would have sounded funny. Harley-Davidson Engine Cycle. Thinking that the difference back then was the engine was associated with steam engine. Like the Titanic. Never heard of a steam motor.....:confused:

7. mercsforever

mercsforever

If the right looking woman ask you to help her find Crisco for her car motor, you would help her find it....:)

8. You know what, I've been thinking here.
    Maybe it's a little too daunting for you, this mission. These being centuries old American companies - well they probably won't take a Camadian guy serious Ehe? How about you start a little more local. You know at a lower level and easier swayed by your prowess. First thing head on over to the Office of The Superintendent of Motor Vehicles. When you get there ask to see the MMFIC and explain to him about the erroneous and misleading naming of his office. If its a woman who's the MMFIC, tell her about the misleading name and that these erogenous errors make you feel so passionately and they need to be corrected.
    Maybe you'll feel better about it all. Maybe you'll feel better talking to a man about the erogenous errors the make you so erudite.

9. luke13

luke13

man what a shit fight, ha haaaaarrrrrrr.

10. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

to me hammer welding has a whole other meaning.. but my beginings are not
    like other's here.

http://anvilfire.com/

11. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. Are you speaking of "forge welding" ?
    Yes you are speaking of forge welding.
    that ancient art of the blacksmith is known as "forge welding"

The whole other meaning lies in knowing,

14. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

yes, it does, and it's only forge welding to anyone not a blacksmith, to blacksmiths it's hammer welding. .. not the only type in blacksmithing btw..

but im WAY the fuck off topic.. hahah sorry.

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I enjoy o/a welding . My Dad could stick weld , he showed me how to braze and solder . I always struggled with stick welding.
    I have watched a friend hammer finish MIG welds . Don't know about cracks some of his cars have been on the road for several years.
    This is a educational thread Thank you all for your input. But we have to remember there are a lot of faceless experts on the ol interweb . So lets get back to teaching , learning and sharing experiences / knowledge .

16. I need one of those !
    No prices to let me know how bad I need it though.

17. Take that fortunate one with you
    Hahahaha:)

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now that is an interesting comment. Anyway, the hate has started but what is good natured debate without a little hate thrown in for seasoning? I would love to read a definitive answer as to how this misuse of terms came to be. So nothing has changed as I guess our opinions have been hammered into us and welded to our consciousness. :D

19. PushnFords

PushnFords

I've done this with TIG welds and works about the same except the heat zone is usually smaller than with a gas torch. When I used to torch weld body panels I'd use .023 MIG wire for filler rod and never noticed it causing hard spots.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. mercsforever

mercsforever

It has just been a good discussion about an old thread, but people should review every now and then. Keeps the mind sharp.
    Reminds me of the 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that make things happen. Those that watch things happen and those that wonder what happened. :cool:

22. I've spent many hours running an engine lathe with a motor on it, 'splain dat one Lucy!!!!!

23. If you really really want to know tuna ill tell you. Can I call you Tuna? Ill contribute to your edification, don't confuse that with dedication or education or defecation.

First the English language has been parsed and assimilated from a few different sources. This particular word "motor" is derived from a Latin base that means "mover" which what's derived from another Latin base word. Kind of like second cousins. That word was around long before da Vinci was, so no mechanical motion production devices were even thought of yet.

Secondly it pertains to which engineering discipline you are speaking of or trying to correlate the essence of what you mean.

They (engine, motor, mover) aren't always interchangeable but in a lot of situations they are. Again the English language is finicky,

Motor :
    1. (Automotive Engineering)
    a. the engine, esp an internal-combustion engine, of a vehicle
    b. (as modifier): a motor scooter.

2. (Electrical Engineering)
    Also called: electric motor a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy by means of the forces exerted on a current-carrying coil placed in a magnetic field

3. (Mechanical Engineering)
    any device that converts another form of energy into mechanical energy to produce motion
    4. an indispensable part or player that moves a process or system along

5. (Automotive Engineering)
    a. Brit a car or other motor vehicle
    b. as modifier: motor spares.
    adj

6. (General Physics) producing or causing motion

7. (Physiology) physiol
    a. of or relating to nerves or neurons that carry impulses that cause muscles to contract
    b. of or relating to movement or to muscles that induce movement
    vb

8. (Automotive Engineering) (intr) to travel by car

9. (Automotive Engineering) (tr) Brit to transport by car

10. (intr) to move fast; make good progress

11. (tr) to motivate

[C16: from Latin mōtor a mover, from movēre to move]

Now with all that being said ( actually copied and pasted) why oh why is every engine ever built that's going to receive a roots type super charger automatically referred to as a "blower motor".

Here's a coupe more automotive related - why do you "park" in your driveway but "drive" on the parkway?

Well Tuna, I hope that helps ease some of your angst about the engine / motor stuff you brought to a welding thread. Btw the type of welding you speak of is officially known as and recognized as Forge welding. If an engineer wants it done that way that's what is and how its spec ed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  24. Not sure hammer welding would work all that well with a mig, unless you were using mild steel wire. Usually the mig runs a medium- high tensile wire, where as gas welding with a mild steel wire means you are using the same filler material as the parent material you are welding, which is a hell of a lot easier to work with, and behaves in the same manor, also its a hell of a lot easier to grind/file finish when your done..
    also In this day and age im sure theres a whole swag of "experts" on youtube just waiting to show us all how its meant to be done, might be worth a look??..

25. The "hardness" or malleability of a weld has more to do with the heat cycle than the filer rod. If you heat a MIG weld with a torch and let it cool slowly it will soften to nearly mild steel.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Both my MIG wire, and my TIG filler rod are ER70S. The same 70k rating, in the case of the same dash number, exactly the same composition. I sometimes use 0.023" MIG wire as a fine TIG rod.

27. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I wouldn't think '' hard spots '' in a welded repair, that was run with mig wire as filler, would be an issue givin the heat from the torch would leave a nice soft weld for hammering..................A squirtgun weld that's had its' ''proud crown'' ground down, usually with a cutoff disc, and smacked with a hammer alittle, that's a different kettle of fish!;)

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

28. loudbang

loudbang

One very important thing to remember when using OA is Never pick up the welding rod on the wrong end. It's easy to do while you are thinking shut off torch put down grab dolly and hammer hit weld with hammer then hurry to repeat.

You will only do it once for sure. To avoid this problem bend the cold end back on itself so the is a little backward "V" to remind yourself this is the COLD end. And it makes a neat hanger so you can hang it off the car, or welding cart.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And, if you are a giant spaz, the bent over end is harder to stab yourself with.

30. Gene Winfield taught me that trick.