Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. I knew you were a closet mopar guy all along!

:D

2. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Hey Guys, does anyone know who owns the Deuce bag Chevy 2? I am trying to reach him.

3. Bob181

Bob181

Wow to come up there it would be about a 10 hour drive. I would probably have to rent a car and come up with my kids. They wanted me to get onto this hamb to check out the cool stuff I grew up with. They said this is the biggest place for what i like. I can't belive how crazy this hamb is. So are you guys serious about only letting in old cars from the days I remember in the 60's? I like Bowling Green because it is close to home. There are some other cool tracks I frequent with my old buddies. I like seeing the stuff that was around when I was young. In those days we could barely afford food so a cool car was out of the quaetion. I had a 40 ford coupe with a 303 olds and 2 strombergs but I sold it after 3 months becasue my dad said If I could not afford the insurance I had to sell the car. That was that, back to walkin. What sucked was i worked all winter putting in the olds motor outside in the cold. We hung it from the big oak tree out back and roped it in. Sold it to a oil pipeline worker and he took it back to Oaklahoma.
    Man I have not thought about that car in probably 40 years. Wonder waht happened to it

4. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Absolutely serious. 66 and older with period correct wheels and paint. Check out www.meltdowndrags.com or youtube meltdown drags.

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

Bob 181 ... Distance is very quickly becoming a weak excuse... This will be our third year coming down and we are 16+ hrs North in Canada. We're coming back with (hopefully) 2 cars. This year there are at least 3 guys talking about towing in from California. Last year there were spectators from Hawaii and New Zealand.

Trust me when I tell you it's more than worth the effort to get there. The first year we stood in the middle of the pits and got dizzy trying to take it all in. The acceleration trials are epic, the celebration of a drag racing's greatest era with no pressure to race or win is relaxed and welcoming, the track is 1st class and the MDA group who put this party on know how to do it right. Tired of watching the show on the track ?? ... walk through the car show or wander through the pits. Getting a chance to sample Mike Belina's home made salsa and guacamole is an experience in itself.

If you have fond memories of the race tracks from back in the day or a car you wish you still had then this is the event you need to attend. This is the event that makes it all good for every gearhead who wished he could have raced in the 60's and lets every gear head who raced in the 60's remember back when it was fun and all the cars were different. If they can pull their junk out of the garage and race it again...all the better...this is the event

The Friday / Saturday pilgrimage to Sam's drive-in is worth the drive in itself. Where else will you see 4 speed 9 second gassers cruise in for a root beer ? Food is pretty good too.

I have never had more fun or a better experience at any car event I have ever attended over the last 30 years. I plan my entire racing calendar around it. The past 2 years the first thing we did after we got home and unloaded, was pre-register for the next year's event. (Then we fell down)

Make plans to attend Bob... you will NOT regret it

P.S.
    Still not convinced ??? I'll try a bribe with some Canadian beer... just look for the Canadian flag flying over a poorly defended area in the pits we plan on claiming in the name of the polite land of hockey pucks and curling.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  6. Good thing he hides it 3 hours away otherwise I probably would make it faster :p

Do I need to pay another $5 now?

7. I think we've got about a 30 hour drive form California, and Brent (HAMB name DBLGUN) is talking about bringing his. Matter of fact I'll just go ahead and taunt him now. Brent, you haven't got one hair on your ass, if you don't tow your 55 out with us!, there check that off the list. No more whining about the drive, I'm looking forward to the road trip too!

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Bob if you like Bowling Green you will love the Meltdowns The rules are stricter at the meltdowns (you won't see any weld wheels and such) so there may not be as many cars but the cars are more like you remembered them from back in the day. I'm 7 hours from Bowling green and at least 11 hours from the meltdowns. I can only afford to go to one so I choose the meltdowns even though it's a lot further to drive. The meltdowns is about quality not quantity.Don't miss it

9. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

His name is Jeff Pittsinger. He lives in the St. Louis metro area. He's friends with Bill Bierman of Chaotic Customs, who drives the "Suicide King" Studebaker. I think the shop is in St. Louis. So you might try calling the shop if you can't find Jeff's number. Jeff's Chevy II is one wheelstanding, gear-banging SOB! John Clark

10. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

11. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Bob181....I will tell you how great the Meltdown is.....I only live about a half hour or so from Summit Motorsports Park. The same weekend as the Meltdown is the Blue Suede Cruise with "nostalgia racing". I will drive 8 hours to go to the Meltdown, because I know the cars there will be vintage looking. No way would I miss this. It is a true time warp.

12. I received a PM this morning from a member this morning asking if he could send me a donation for Gene since I know him and live close by.

If anyone wants to make a donation for Gene I will be happy to help,,just send me a PM. HRP

13. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Damn! Somebody needs to sign Saxxon up as the official spokesperson!

14. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

We had our choice this year to pick either event. The Blue Suede is a hour away and we chose to do the meltdown because of the true vintage feel of the event and feel that this will probably be the nostalgia event of the year.

15. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

My 57 Wagon made it through pregistration #203! Got my cousin and good buddy enlisted to come with me. We plan on roadtripping it up from Mid-Missouri taking turns driving and racing and camp on the grounds. I have raced at many tracks in my "newer" faster cars, but I have never been more excited about a race than this one. Hopefully it will run in the 14's. Now I just have to finish getting the car roadworthy.

16. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I dont think anybody coming to the Meltdown will be disappointed, and Micky with your group coming also it just adds to the weekend.

Jon

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  17. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Right on Micky....Paul told me your on board...WELCOME from the MDA!!!

I just want to remind anyone else reading this who has not posted and has questions.

The Meltdown is all about Vintage appearing cars....so if you run a 18 second 50 ford with a flathead, or a 13-14 tri-5 chevy or ford, on down to a 9 second Gasser......
    Hot Rods, Customs, Rails, Altereds, Gassers, A/FX, Super Stock and Vintage bikes....ALL WELCOME!!

Come one come all....if your car fits the criteria or you can make some minor adjustments to it to meet criteria.....PLEASE come on out....the MDA DOES NOT take any funds from the track....we do this because we love it!! Any t-shirt, poster or dvd sales go right into the pot to add to the event, Goodie Bag items, giveaways, and all the little things it takes to put this on. Thank you again for all your help!!

Still need some more GENE CROMER donations.....$10, $20, $25, $50 or more....

Paypal: [email protected]

Or PM me for an address to mail a check....

18. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

This thread has gone soft...
    How do I keep from getting hungry at the meltdown? Start looking for other fruit on the property. I think the Rotten Orange is gettin' a full dance card but ya know at some point we will have to find out who the King of Produce really is... :D

Notice how I highlighted that so it can be seen easily??

19. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Already getting donations in toward the Trophies being made for the North vs South shoot out at this years Meltdown! Thank you Scott Ezell for these.[​IMG]

20. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Rotten your up big guy.....RED TEXT....

21. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Lol i had never thought about the Bad fruit reference both your cars make :D

22. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

There is a pretty good chance we will show up at the same venue several times this season. We may have to keep a running score. ;)

23. Paul;
    You NEVER gave me a beat down... your having a senior moment?...LOL

Scott,car is at home in the shop..We took the car apart when we got back from the Meltdown. We are going to bring it back to 1966 appearance.

But with trying to build a Prefect ,and running ONDR, the Fiat sits..

Thanks for asking though..\

Rick
    ONDR INC
    ............................................................................................

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Rick,
    Is that the gold metal flake paint job from when it won Indy?
    Man I love that car!
    Hope you're coming with something,cause this year I will finally get my car out to a race....I know,I know,I've been yapping about it for years.....Marriages and then divorces have a way of getting in the way of all the fun.
    Hope to see you at the Meltdown!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Ok! You fruit venders, might have to rename our '56.., "Sangria". First the car is already the right color, and because everyone knows that a proper Sangria "uses up" the fruit you have laying around. Of course then, I'll have to listen to you "wine" as you'll be drunk'n with defeat!

26. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I will offer up my 57 Ford to be a push or pull back car if needed again
    this year. Its to painfully slow (24 sec.) to run down the track but I can
    do the 5 mph limit in the pits with it.....:eek:

27. 57 Fords are Bitchen!

28. Thank you for setting the official record straight cause that's how I remembered it went down... LOL

Now thats some funny shit right there! LMFAO

:D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  29. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

Ok guys , here it is, the start of my list for the North;
    Johnny Rotten, "Rotten Orange" 63 Chevy 2, all steel, big block Chevy Crower injection Liberty 5200
    Joel Huhtal (me) "Engine Joe" 56 chevy, big block Chevy Hilborn Injection, A833 Hemi 4 speed
    Dave Timoszyk 40 Willys coupe 301 Chevy Liberty 5 speed
    Matt King 55 Chevy Small Block Chevy, Jerico 4 speed
    Tim Timoszyk 42 Willys Coupe 355 sbc , 4 speed
    Mike Heienen "Ivan the Terrible" 55 Chevy Big Block chevy , 4 speed
    Jeff Pitsinger "Deuce bag" 63 Nova SS, 355 CI. Crower Injected, Jerico 4
    This is my tentative list so far, i have a few more in the works. As i get more i will list them.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  30. Well I clearly remember racing someone. Maybe you gave me the beat down?
    All I know is the Fiat won. :D