Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox wheel opening- does this look ok?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigdav160, Jan 25, 2014.

1. bigdav160

bigdav160

Long story but my choice of rear axle is slightly too wide. There are not rims available with more offset. I don't want to spend the money on custom rims or axles.

I have seen pics of shoeboxes with radiused openings and let's say I've been unimpressed with the look.

So I did a little photoshop on a similar looking car with an apology to the car owner. But the look is growing on me. Any opinions? or technical difficulties with this job?

Attached Files:

2. I think it looks good.Lots of people like the low look but I like a car that sits up.

3. butch27

butch27

Lower the car.

4. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Can't you just find a thinner rear end? I used a $150 68 mustang 8" in the 40 and it fits perfect.

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I wouldn't do it.

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Look for a 70's comet or maverick rear end. It's almost bolt in. I'm not a fan of radius cut fenders on shoeboxes. They look a little better on cars that are sectioned but I still don't love them. The shoebox hot wheel car has them and I hate it. Seems it would be a lot easier to find a early mustang rear end or even a maverick/ comet rear end then to spend the time and money doing something you don't love and hope it grows on you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. verde742

verde742

I like them lower and round radius rear wheel opening.

8. If the rear end is too wide, cutting the wheel openings won't hide the fact.

9. bigdav160

bigdav160

It's Ford IRS

Already installed. I knew it would be close but once the weight of the car was on it the sidewall of the tire hits the flange and , I assume, the wheel house. Rolling the lip under or the slightest of flares may allow it to clear.

Thanks for the feedback.

10. metal man

metal man

I think the photoshop looks really good, but I don't like taildraggers, or fender skirts. That one looks like a hot rod. Is yours a coupe too?

11. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Look up the pinky shoebox build they undid rear wells that looked like the ones in your photoshop picture.

12. The Doddfather

The Doddfather
    from Va

i'd lower it, looks a too high

13. metalman

metalman

What size/ offset rim do you have on it that it just about clears now?
    Custom offset rims don't cost too much, I had Jimmy (Wheelkid) build me a couple sets in the last couple years to move the tire in. No big deal if your running hubcaps.
    I don't mind radius wheel openings myself on shoeboxes but it's a lot of work to do it right.

14. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Back in the day I cut wells on my 49 and thought it looked okay....I wouldn't do it today. The car ended just a racecar, but when you make the cut, it involves the inner as well, leaving a gap and a lot of work to make it right. With the tires hanging out, it exposes the paint to a lot of chipping

15. Looks like someone tried to cut the rust out of the rear quaters.

It works on a shoebox Chevy, not on a Ford.

16. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Get a different rear end. If you go the route your planning, you will end up hating it.
    But it's your car.

17. metal man

metal man

Sure it's a lot of work, and tires should not "stick out" but if done well, I think it looks good...even an improvement sometimes. The rear wheel wells on these 49-51 Fords looks like a design flaw to me.

He said it's close enough that rolling the lip might do it, so the tires won't be sticking out.

18. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

I had a similar issue. I used a 9" from an early bronco and it is real close on space. I ordered custom steel wheels (with the max back space I think they are 15x7 with 4 1/4 bs). It was a lot easier than changing everything...

19. bigdav160

bigdav160

OK, here's another rendition. the first attempt I was transferring the shape the front opening to the rear. What if I just raised the rear opening up?

Attached Files:

20. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you're building a race car that will be butchered anyway, you're going to ruin the looks of that Ford. :rolleyes: Get a narrower rear end, imo. :)

21. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

The question you keep asking is "should I change rear ends or fuck up the body" with the answer being "the choice is yours"

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'd fuck the body up but you will need some healthy tires to even it all out..

Attached Files:

23. Squablow

Squablow

If it's going to be radiused, it had better match the front. Maybe if you got two sets of 52-54 Ford front fender lips (or 55 Chevy) put one set on the front stock-height and the other set on the rear not quite as tall, but with the same profile, you could give it a bit of a 60's hot rod look.

I'd be way more concerned with the safety of an independent rear suspension that was installed by someone who didn't think to measure the width first.

I know I sound like a huge dickhead to say that, but measurements are EVERYTHING when you're installing a different suspension like that, front or rear.

24. -im gonna "quote this in my head all day at work tomorrow -cause it just sounds so awesome. -KICK ASS.
    but
    if i were you . go get a pinto and radius the rear. =keep a shoebox a shoebox

25. 55glyde

55glyde
    from mile high

If it were my car I would fix the rearend and leave the body alone. I personally don't like altered wheel openings.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Here's your choices;

A) Order a pair of correct offset rims (easiest out)
    B) Replace the rear end (a lot more work than option A)
    C) Radius the wheelwells (a lot more work than option B (even if you're a pro body man), and IMHO, won't look good.

27. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Another vote for radius rounding them.....they really stand out that way, and look totally cool in my opinion...
    This one ROCKS...perfect job.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014