Register now to get rid of these ads!

Go for a ride? Mans best copilots!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biscaynes

biscaynes

my mutt 'tilly' loves to 'go for a drive'

Attached Files:

2. Seepwater

Seepwater

Thor was my best buddy...I miss him so much. 200#s of loving English Mastiff

3. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love seeing this tread up again.

4. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

:D

Shela's been "ridin" W me since 03

[​IMG]

LA Times story --
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/26/thomas-weller-san-diego-highway-angel-video_n_1380072.html

[​IMG]

One of the many hundreds of rescues we've done togeather -- this is my *favorite* thank you recieved -- drawn by the littl girl Whitney after she and her family safely reached home in San Jose runnin on one of 2 batteries -- [ their alternator had failed on their minivan on Forth of July weekend 2004. I gottum off the freeway where they were stranded, back to their motel, usin my aux battery booster -- then they made it to my shop the next mornin where I reinstalled their now freshly recharged battery and provided them w anuther fully charged I happened to have, that enabled them to make it HOME to San Jose w-out havin to be laid up changin the defective alternator -- ** it was a Mazda MPV w the center engine ***

Notice that littl Whitney put a battery in the drawin, and LOOK where she drew Shela!
    IN the driver's seat where "She" thinks she belongs! :)
    [​IMG]

She always is wearin her safety harness -- on the rare occassion I fergit to strap her in, she "reminds" me w paw on my leg and a nuzzle ;) [she's a SMART girl she is :) ]
    [​IMG]

harness saved her life 10 August 2011 --

[​IMG]

"She" is gittin grey round the muzzle now like me --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    hope she's here fer a WHILE yit -- won't be the same w-out her --

"She" was a "rescue" as well!:D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I love the second photo. Thanks Tom

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  6. My little "Piglet" only 9 weeeks old,she lived to be 13. R.I.P. my little Piggy...I miss you so!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

absolutely!

8. I love to see these photos but when you post that they are no longer with us, its really a downer. As a dog lover, I had rather not know that. I got soft in my old age.

9. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Love this thread so much. Been without my best friend since August 2012. RIP Max!

10. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

A Dog's Purpose?

from a 6 year old --

A Dog's Purpose?
    (from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, hi...s wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
    Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,

''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**** But we WISH they could, don't we :confused: they give us SO much and ask so little OF us **** I cry for those lost -- mine and others -- and I'm not embaressed to say so --

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, there's this --

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now,

I've gotta go wash my face

11. My copilots when they were young....

Attached Files:

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

56don, I know what you mean of being sad about dogs that are no longer with us. We lost our black Lab Molly in a tragic accident. She was a champion Dock Diver and my constant companion. She was truly my best friend. I can't tell you how much I miss her. In the picture of her Dock Diving if you look closely you can see a smile on her face. We now have a yellow Lab Maggie who is my new best friend. BTW dog Dock Diving is almost as much fun as messing with old cars. The dogs love it as much as we do.

Attached Files:

13. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Shela's life was saved by thisun!

http://www.fourpaws.com/products/pet-safety-sitter.htm

otherwise, she'd a been a projectile thru the windshield!:eek:

14. KStewart

KStewart

Some old pictures of my past.

Attached Files:

15. Well said, Highwayman.

16. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

Here's me and the old man cruising down to the beach for the day last summer. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390415114.262220.jpg .

Hopefully the picture uploads.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you guys are getting all sentimental and mushy. good stuff, too.

how about some celebration/joy now?

love this thread

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My dog is mr Alpha..But you should see the look he has as he's walking away after scaring the crap/pissing off another dog, you just know he's laughing and hoping they'll chase him..Tough guy but really a softie..Sorry pic is blurry; he is taking care of the G'son's 5 week old pit bull

Attached Files:

19. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]
    *that* was shot by a professional photographer whom I'd stopped to help on the WB I-8 near Waring Rd some years back when his VW bus ran outta gas

I'm thinkin "She" was thinkin "don't come any closer, I'm ON DUTY here :rolleyes::D
    [ you can just see the cool look in her eyes ]

he took a number of pics and sent em to me after --

here's anuther of em from that incident
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  20. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

These are the newest members of our family, and my big buddy,, Buddy and his son my new Go for a ride with Mom friend Shiloh.... Beth

Attached Files:

21. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Tough day out in the shop !!

Attached Files:

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

23. no55mad

no55mad

Mich2013 003.jpg

Mich2013 007.jpg Jager had a big 2013 fall season in Michigan. He caught and ate a tree squirrel, rabbit and several mice. If the car door is left open he is in there and ready to go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

now that is good stuff!

25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]

This thread is the GREATEST-- :D

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man that really hits home! Talk about choking up! We had to put our 12 year old German Shepard Zeena to sleep last May due to cancer. She loved to ride in the car. This morning I had to take Jake, our 11 year old German/Australian Shepard mix to the vet, arthritis and hip dysplasia has really gotten to him but he's still hanging in there. I had to help him get in the car but he had his head out the window most of the way. As I type this, our nine year old Mini Pin Emma is being thoroughly harassed by our 4 month old Rottweiler pup Zara. Zara already likes riding in the car, her head out the window. I cannot imagine what it might be like without a dog in my life. The little boy Shane really nailed it.

27. shadams

shadams

3 of 4 of mine are old timers. My pug mix is 14 but hasnt slowed down much except is deaf....Boxer mix is 12, still tries to jump in the back of my truck with the tailgate closed, impatient as hell. Big boy is 11, great pyrnees and when he was a pup they tried to talk us into a 5000 dollar hip surgery because he wouldnt survive past 5...runs like the wind id there are deer on the back lot...my jack mix is 5 give or take, loves the baby but is very hyper and doesnt watch where she jumps at times. Baby doesnt care though, love her to death already...

Anyway, they all are ready to go at a moments notice, rain or shine, cold or hot, even if it is just to the mailbox...

28. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Our 2 saint Bernards go with us just about ever where shows and all don't havr many but here's some pic of frank and booger
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

29. shadams

shadams

Damn, that dogs got some long legs on it there....haa! Good lookin pups!

30. Heo2

Heo2

Sally she was my girlfriends dog when we got together
    but from day one she was my dog.She loved to ride in
    the hotrod with me or a boat trip
    she died in the sleap 14 years old
    My son found her dead in the morning
    Im glad that she had a realy good Life and that i
    dont had to shot her beacuse she got sick or to old

Here she is fishing the week Before she died

Attached Files: