Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drop spindles for my '56 Bel Air?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Strittan, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Hi,

I wanna get my newly bought '56 Chevy closer to the ground so I've been looking around at 2" drop spindles. The car has disc brakes, so the question is which ones that fill fit? Do I have to order a set of special rotors, an entirely new brake kit, or are there any kind of spindles that will fit right on the car as it is?

I find it rather confusing, so any help/insight would be much appreciated!

/Patrik

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Andy

Andy

I bought a set and was very disappointed. The spindles were made of cast iron. They had to increase some thicknesses to compensate for the lower strenght material. The geometry change moved the steering arms and the car would not turn anywhere near as tight. The tapers for the ball joints were wrong as well. Once I could see all the problems, I got rid of the whole mess. The stock wheels and caps would not fit either. I would just get some lower springs.

3. squirrel

squirrel

It's kind of hard to answer your question without knowing what disc brakes you have on the car now...there are several different kinds that fit stock spindles. Some of them are different than what the drop spindles use.

I'd start by cutting a coil or one and a half coils out of the springs you have, and see how it sits and drives for a while. Sneak up on it...if you go too far, then you'll get to buy new springs.

4. I bought some new dropped springs for my 56. It was supposed to drop it by 2" but I can't really tell the difference.

Attached Files:

5. San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

are you willing, or capable of any fabrication? have you considered bagging it?

6. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

I got the drop spindle set from CPP. they can tell you exactly which rotors, bearings and calipers to use. they fit great on my 56. drop looks great and didn't change much of the geometry. was able to align it easily and rides great. I had a 1 inch drop spring already so they just added to it. sits perfect
    Dave

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

cut the coils, i've tried everything else...

8. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Thanks for the replies. I guess just cutting the coils to begin with is not the end of the world after all, and then do it the "right" way later on. Bagging it is not an option though, as I want the car to permanently have the stance I think look cool.

9. Bags are for groceries and really ugly women.

10. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Do you think I can cut 2 coils or will that ruin the handling completely? I don't think 1 coil will do it since I'm dropping it 2" in the rear and I want a slight forward rake.

11. Don't go overboard with too much at first. I only cut ½ coil on a Corvette and it dropped it about 2". I guess it depends on how the coil fits.
    BTW, your avatar is my heart throb...love her...

12. squirrel

squirrel

try one coil, the cut another half off at a time until it's right. But drive it around for a few weeks between the additional cuts, it will settle down over time, and also you need to see how it works as far as bottoming out, holes in the road, etc. The problem is you won't know you have gone too far, until you go too far.

then you get to buy new springs and try again

13. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

I already got a new pair of springs, just in case, but yeah it's probably good to do it little by little as you said.

14. squirrel

squirrel

The voice of experience talking. I went too far, and had to get some new springs. 1.5 coils was what mine wanted. But each car is different.

15. A Rodder

A Rodder

[​IMG]I tool out 1 1/3 coils out and installed 2" blocks out back.

Rides excellent, I am really happy.

I added disc brakes last year from Ecklers.
    They move the wheels something like an inch out or so.
    I wish I'd have bought the CPP kit that has proper hub facing.

We just put 650 miles on it this weekend for KOOL APRIL NIGHTS and with medium luggage and 3 good size adults and a kid we only bottomed out once going 68 on the freeway hitting a good dip.

16. slammed

slammed

HAve a pro do this to your lower A-Arms for a 2" drop. Snip a half to one whole coil and lay it down.[​IMG]

17. Paul Y

Paul Y

Not sure if this will be viewed as traditional but I used qa1 coilovers on my 56. You then have infinate adjustability and ride really really well. Will post up pics later or have a look at my avatar.

P.

18. spiders web

spiders web

Fatman Fabrications has drop spindles for that car. Buy, install, done!

19. belair

belair

Love that wagon, A Rodder.

20. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I used cpp dropped spindle and disc conversion kit and a moog spring # that I got from BUTCH M on here, I then cut a coil and a half off, but as others have mentioned be careful when you start cutting coils, mine worked out good but there all a little different I think
    (measure twice cut once :))

Attached Files:

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Never get tired of seeing your '56!

22. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Thanks a lot for the tips guys, I appreciate it! I'll post a picture or two with the result.

23. rojo12

rojo12

I used 76 Buick Apollo front coils and then removed 1 1/2 coils for a nice drop.

24. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

So today I finally got it dropped up front. I cut 2 coils right away and it came out pretty good I think. I think I'll go for 1" lowering blocks in the rear, to keep a slight forward rake, but it looks way better already if you ask me.

The first pic shows how it looked when I bought the car, and the other as it sits now. Amazing how much a set of wheels and tires and a bit of lowering can do, huh?

Attached Files:

25. A Rodder

A Rodder

DAMN.....What a fine '56.

Looks waaaaay better.

26. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

That looks beautiful. Wouldn't touch the rear anymore. Got the perfect stance. Wheels and tires are a home run as well. We run the same style on our '56. Where did your headers go? did you switch to manifolds for clearance?
    [​IMG]

27. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Yes, I'm going for manifolds, which are on their way as we speak. The person who thought it was a good idea to put those headers on a bone stock 283 with a 2 bbl in the first place must've been mad. They almost touched the ground even before I lowered it!

Great looking wagon by the way!