Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where They Raced - A So Cal Documentary Film

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HarryPallenberg, Jan 10, 2011.

1. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Getting the new WEBSITE up, its a work in progress. AND finally got another trailer up with Danny Thompson & Judy Thompson Creach on the site of the former Lions Drag. Mazooma was kind enough to lend a few photos of Mickey from way back when. Hope you guys enjoy the trailer... Make sure you visit the 'trailers' opage for a few of the older ones too.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XqwUcQO-9cY" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good stuff, Harry. Good on ya for preserving this history!

3. striper

striper

I love this stuff. Looking forward to the final result. Even this thread is a great read.

4. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Thanks for the positive words... I'm looking forward to the final result too!

5. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Looks like I'll be shooting a few great tracks coming up in the next month...
    #1 Ed Winfield's old Ford on site of the Legion Ascot.
    #2 Gilmore Stadium.

also we hope to sit down with Hila Sweet and Parnelli Jones before the month is done.

6. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

It has been a great weekend. Friday we met up with Hank Hilty (above left) the great grandson of AF Gilmore who started Gilmore Oil, the farmers Market and most importantly Gilmore Stadium - now the home of CBS TV at Fairfax & Beverly. After giving us a nice introduction to his family history in the hidden Gilmore museum, Hank met up with Vic Edelbrock Jr. (below) and his fathers V8-60 - the only V8 to beat the Offy’s at Gilmore - it was a real treat to have car & track reunited and Vic had some great stories to tell including his memories of that night in 1950.

For the rest of the text & photos go here:

http://www.harrypallenberg.com/WHERE_THEY_RACED/News/News.html

I'll have pics and more info on Saturday's shoot at Legion Ascot with the Ed Winfield Ford later this week.

7. Choptop

Choptop

You've left out Carrol Speedway. Roger Ward, Len Sutton, Kenny Parks, Art Galbraith and many more raced there.

Give me a call and I can put you in touch with a person with a large amount of archival material on the track.

916-207-4645

[​IMG]

8. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool, Harry. Great project, looking forward to the film(s).

10. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

11. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Getting ready to shoot the segment on the Santa Monica Road Races (1909 - 1919) next week. I have some footage and lots of photos - always looking for more, so if anyone has some - or links to a lost archive... please let me know.

We'll be out by the start / finish with a National that actually ran there and a Fiat (I hope) from that era. Looks like Eddie Pullen's son might join us as well!

I'll post pics after the shoot.

12. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Till I get more to post - here are a few pics from yesterday's shoot along the Santa Monica Road Race track. The website http://www.wheretheyraced.com also has a quick teaser clip of gary's Fiat speeding down San Vicente.

More soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Anyone coming to the LA Auto Show please come over to Kentia Hall booth K-733 to check out our 1911 National that we have on display... Not quite as aerodynamic as the one just upstairs! Learn how the very first races in Los Angeles took place only 3 miles and 110 years away from where the Auto Show is now... and one of Harry Millers 1st shops was only a mile away... the building still stands - you can see it in the film.

Get your holiday shopping done early... not just at our booth as I saw a LOT of cool stuff to buy all around me.

Just a few pics I snapped while walking around yesterday.

Attached Files:

14. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Since the Petersen picked up their 1900 Smith from the Valet our 1911 National became the oldest car at the show... The Harley girl only make it better! Come down to booth K-733 to check it out...

#oldestcarintheshow

Attached Files:

15. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Just wanted to let anyone local to Los Angeles about two upcoming screenings.

The award winning documentary film Where They Raced: Speed Demons in the City of Angels will be screening on Sunday Feb. 9th at 1:00pm at one of the coolest museums in Los Angeles - the Automobile Driving Museum. What sets this museum apart is that they actually take you out for a ride in one of their vinatge cars... so come early and take a spin. The cars scheduled to be available include a 1935 Chrysler Airflow, a '36 Packard Phaeton and a 1941 Cadillac Convertible.

Make sure you check out the Airflow in particular because although it was a commercial flop - it was also a truly revolutionary car. It not only turned automotive aerodynamics on its head, it also featured innovative body construction and a near 50/50 weight distribution. Carl Breer, the man behind the Airflow was a native Angelino who in 1901 built one of the very first cars in Los Angeles at the age of 17. Here he is with his 2 cylinder steam engine and later in life as one of the three founders of Chrysler.
    [​IMG]

This AWESOME Chrysler film Fashioned by Function explains it all:
    http://youtu.be/AG55Bf9nWHk

Both Harry Pallenberg (Director) and Harold Osmer (Host) of the film will be on hand most of the day to talk about more early L.A. automotive history… you know, before smog & traffic.

Feb. 9th at the Automobile Driving Museum at 1PM.

610 Lairport Street. El Segundo, CA 90245 310) 909-0950

Free Admission & Popcorn - but there is a $5 suggested donation. You can also buy ice cream, candy, chips and drinks. If you can’t make this screening there will be another at The Petersen on Feb. 26th. Details to follow.

Attached Files:

16. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Thanks Jay Leno's Garage for the interview / review... it was a blast and being in your garage was amazing.

17. dargman69

dargman69
    from istanbul

Sounds great! Good luck. Target date?

18. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Target reached - you can get it now at: www.wheretheyraced.com

There will be another screening at the NHRA Museum. No firm date set yet - but probably April or May.

19. Outstanding....

20. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Just wanted to post another update to let everyone know that the HD digital downloadable version is here with over 90 minutes of interviews and car tours NOT on the DVD or anywhere else. http://wheretheyraced.vhx.tv/

Also for those of you in the Camarillo area there will be a screening under the stars at the Murphy Auto Museum on June 20th.