Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Chevy, early 60's gasser style..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crashhead, Jan 12, 2014.

1. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

check out post 4 onN.J.1955chevy-Yellow- w/409-called "First Love"---i think squat refers to racing not street driving of course you want enough room for bounce and rebound on a street car but if your chassis is working you get separation even on a "wheelie"...

2. Do you have headers yet?

Most guys would go with a fenderwell type... but I have a set of early under chassis headers for a tri-five.

They have relatively big tubes... 1 3/4" and four bolt flanges on the collector.

They need to be blasted and painted, but would be old-skool for sure.

Sam

3. Hey man, appreciate it but i do have a set of old fenderwell headers already! Thanks though

4. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i have a set of 58-64 impala headers , they end up pointed almost straight out the side and make exhaust hook up easy...

5. Conder

Conder

Beautiful job Hank!

6. Thanks man, maybe not exact how you would have done it, but i hope you will dig the end result!

7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Love the updates! Keep going!
    Jay

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Bending up a edge on the wheelwell radius will avoid cut tires also. Depending on whether you want a bead to show outside, or keep the wheelwell flush, it can be done inside or with small 1/4" round stock on the outside.
    This is what I did on my Austin when I radiused the rear wheelwell. This was taken early on before I did the rear suspension, so not sitting as low as it ended up later:
    [​IMG]

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

had a friend that modified a pair of hoof trimmers with a male and female die (piece of rod and a section of pipe cut in half ) rolled the fender to the inside and looked factory---Clyde Massey was quite a car guy ...

10. Finally found some time and started on the floor structure for the trunk area. Got most of it done, and will make the battery brackets today. After that is done, i will get the bead roller out and start laying out the sheet metal. After that i hope to be able to finish of the wheel lips and openings.

Attached Files:

11. CalGasser

CalGasser

12. Hoping to get going on the trunk floor this weekend. Simultaneously i am working on a -61 Ranchwagon that's stealing some precious time.
    My goal is to have the -55 body at the paintshop around late March . Before the body comes off, i will install a dual mastercylinder, and figure out where to run all the brake lines, and fuel lines. Patch up a few spots in the floorpans, and finish the radiused wheel wells. I will keep the outside flush, i kinda like that raw look. Getting some good ideas for hinges for the tilt front, and will also have to straighten the front end up as the top part is sagging a little. Some re inforcement plates will have to be molded into the top from underneath. Also trying to make up my mind if i want a scoop or not.....Fun problems!!

13. CalGasser

CalGasser

Oh yea, you NEED a scoop! :D

14. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

X2 on the scoop! The right scoop on this car will set the era you are going for ( although I'm a sucker for 8 injector stacks peeking though the hood!)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. OldColt

OldColt

Yep, nothing looks more bad ass to me than eight long injector tubes sticking up through the hood ... like the old altered wheelbase funnies. :)

--- Steve ---

16. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Do you have any ideas for a scoop yet?
    Jay

17. Yes, i am thinking about several. Maybe a smaller handmade scoop of aluminum...Not sure yet

18. bezerker

bezerker
    from denver, co

19. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Offenhauser Finned scoops are pretty kool.. and their aluminum... and small

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I've always liked the 59-63 era for gas class cars. Everyone thinks 'gasser' means spring-over in the rear, let's go 4-wheelin stance. Nice to see your car sittin stock with coils in the front. And correct for the era chrome reverse wheels on wide whites.

I vote Stage 2 Buick on the scoop btw.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Hey man! Yes, well i dig the lower stance much more then the high up in the sky stuff too..And, since we are gonna use it alot, it'll handle way better.

Will start working on it again shortly, after putting my wifes -61 Ranchwagon back together after getting painted!

22. CalGasser

CalGasser

If there're no blower scoop or injector stacks sticking out of the hood, I like this style of scoop the best or a square box style for tunnel rams like the TLBT 55 - just my $.02...

Attached Files:

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

I agree 100%!

Spot-on-correct-style!

24. CGkidd

CGkidd

Looking pretty damn cool. You are knocking it out on the progress. I can't wait to get home and work on my Stude.

25. This build will be quite slow next coming months, due to several reasons. But, will fix all the sheet metal work in the trunk, and the rest of the body through out the summer at least. The plans still are to drive it this year, but a upcoming house purchase will slow down the process a little. I will update this thread as soon as i make any progress...

Attached Files:

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Hopefully a house with a bigger garage :)

27. Finally got a little work done, in the trunk area. Super simple tools rules..
    Finished sealing up everything last night, in the trunk and wheel wells.

Attached Files:

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

29. CalGasser

CalGasser

Keep pix a comin'...:)

30. CalGasser

CalGasser

Dangling a carrot... for inspiration. Keep up the good work!;)

Attached Files:

Kevs56 likes this.