Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project '47 Nash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bpg_austin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Hey, Thanks for the compliment Paul. I have local guys come by once in a while to pick up parts and I TRY to make the effort most of the time. Doesn't always happen, but you don't see those pictures!

Ben

2. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Few more pictures.
    Getting there.. Immediate goal: Bare shell.

Attached Files:

3. How is it going?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Squablow

Squablow

Neat project, I have a basically identical 600 coupe. Looking forward to seeing more.

5. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Geez, I need to get on here more often. Been a busy few months. (just had a baby boy!)
    Quite a bit of Nash progress, but hasn't seemed picture worthy. Dropping off the bare block at the machine shop today to have new valve guides pressed in and valve seats cleaned up just a bit. The block has already been to the hot tank and is getting really clean. We've assembled all the parts and are ready for assembly. Also lots of cleaning and media blasting of misc parts that bolt onto the block. We're powdercoating the bellhousing etc. and had to clean off 60 years of gunk. Not exciting work, but rewarding. Shell is literally bare and has been for a few months now. There's a decent amount of rust underneath as I think I've seen in previous posts. Neither of us are keen on doing the welding but are scared to think of the cost to have it outsourced. Since this is a cash sensitive project its a big deal. It is the final big ticket item to take care of before we can begin reassembly though and we need to start moving on it soon. If anyone in Austin is interested in doing a barter for some welding work or would consider doing the work on the side please ping me. We're exploring all options for this. Should get some flathead assembly pictures up soon. Thanks for the interest folks!

0h- I guess noteworthy. We've sold the 4 door parts car. Its off to New England to be used in another Ambassador restoration. The party hasn't picked it up yet, but we're looking forward to having the garage space back for reassembly of the coupe.

6. v8spence

v8spence

Wow you have done well. All I have done is rebuilt the rear end and painted the wheels and fitted new whitewalls.

Rust wise, my inner chassis sections are fine but nothing left of the outers, yours the same I guess?
    The rear chassis kickup sections are rough too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Sounds like you're moving right along Spence! Post up a picture here of your new whitewalls, would love to see your car.
    Oddly enough our outer rockers and chassis are fine. Cosmetically you can't see any thru rust on the whole car. Our inner subframe up front by the crossmember is poor. Once the front floorboards rusted through, water fell into the subframe and ate away a substantial portion. You'd never know from looking at the car. You need to crawl underneath to see. I'm sure its a byproduct of the car sitting out in a Kansas field for decades.

8. v8spence

v8spence

Mine came from New Jersey so not the driest of states. The floor seems ok on mine though but I am working forward. I will post sone pics on here if you dont mind me hijacking the thread for a bit.

9. v8spence

v8spence

The first 2 pics are from when I picked it up, the next pic is after blasting the wheels, painting and laquering and then polishing the trims, fitting beauty rings and fitting whitewalls and the last 2 pics are of the rear left inner wing which was badly rotted away so I had to make a new chassis leg and outer section. This has been moved as we made a new fuel tank which has moved the filler neck further back a little. 1389791491785.jpg 1389791511274.jpg 1389791558091.jpg 1389791605981.jpg 1389791618051.jpg

10. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Old girl looks great Spence! Nice treatment on the wheels. You're not hijacking the thread at all. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of Nash info here on the Hamb, so the more the merrier.
    You don't want to come over here and do some welding on mine, do you? :)

11. v8spence

v8spence

Ha ha... I love welding but my nash is enough for me... got a ford thames and a 53 buick to do after this one so I think I am fully booked till they bury me!

12. V8spence.........
    I can see it is a 600 modell. U don't have leaf spring.
    Please make a new treat and post a lot of pics. I'm Nash-crazy........

13. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Spence, I didn't look close enough the 1st time. You do have a 4 door uni! I honestly didn't even know they made them. I had (wrongfully) assumed that when Nash went to 4 doors they put it on a frame like our Ambassador. Apparently Nash had a lot of offerings in this time period. Is this car sporting a flathead also? OD transmission?

14. v8spence

v8spence

He is a 3speed manual behind a 2.8litre flathead I6. (173ci?)
    I do wish it was a framed car, easier to repair.
    The underside will be started next week, got a few things to measure up and hopefully I can get the local sheet metal supplier to preform some sheets into z sections to rebuild the frame.

15. v8spence

v8spence

Some more pics of the rear rebuild.
    Stripping out the trunk, cleaning up and removing the rust, bending new steel to fit, making a new fuel tank, modifying the tyre well (oops, tank was a bit bigger than I measured) and then sealed with lead paint.

1390227568259.jpg 1390227587173.jpg 1390227602244.jpg 1390227612665.jpg 1390227664641.jpg 1390227533780.jpg 1390227630418.jpg

16. v8spence

v8spence

Under the hood, this is a bit messy, home made battery tray bolted to the head! Original 54,000 mile motor? A bit of tidying needed very soon I think.

1390227987636.jpg 1390227973353.jpg 1390228007013.jpg

17. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Looks to be the same as ours Spence. Different air cleaners, and our battery is located under the drivers floor if memory serves. Your tray probably corroded and the battery moved to its current location. Ours is intact but will need to be replaced.

Attached Files:

18. lahti35

lahti35

Sweet nash! That's going to be fatastic.

I've got one of their OHV inline 8's from '39. Interesting in that the '39 engine/tranny connected to an open driveline and then they want back to a closed one later on as seen in your nash.

19. v8spence

v8spence

I have seen online somewhere someone is still making the twin carb manifold to fit our flattys, I wonder how they perform with that fitted?

20. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

I WISH this wasn't a torque tube car lahti. Would be so much easier with a frame, standard leaves and a driveshaft. Ah well..
    Spence, my partner in crime has been watching a twin carb head on E-bay for a while. They are out there.. if we had the cash we'd be experimenting with it. For now, sights remain on the prize. Run what you brung unless it don't work.

21. lahti35

lahti35

Gotta love the Nash "exhast manifold"... if thats what you can call it.... lol! Same deal on my '39 engine... at least we don't have to worry about stuck heat riser valves!

22. v8spence

v8spence

Vintagespeed.com does these....

1390242240237.jpg

Looks interesting if I had the money.

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The Nash flattie looks just like the engine in my '64 Rambler (last of that design). Are you guys looking at the twin-carb Edmunds head? Or the Nash-built Statesman head?

24. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

look like good car .sweet welcome to the h. a. m .b

25. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Not sure if this is the exact unit, but we were looking at the statesman dual carb L head.

Attached Files:

26. v8spence

v8spence

Now that looks trick. What would that set you back $?
    Also... Talking Engines... what oil would you use and is there an easy way to fit a oil filter as I dont see one at a quick glance.

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This is where that Rambler connection may come in handy: The oil filter from something like my '64 American would work (seen just above my coffee cup in the only picture I have handy). Or you could use one of those remote, beehive-style filters sold by the likes of Speedway.

That Statesman head is a beauty. I've only ever seen the Edmunds ones before.

Attached Files:

28. gmpenn

gmpenn

[​IMG] how about some more pics

29. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Hy gmpenn, great looking avatar! You've got to post some of yours up here!
    Working on getting a few pictures up. We did a final cleaning on the block over the weekend. We're picking up some paint for it this week. Next step is to mask it off and shoot some grey epoxy on it. Then.. Assembly!

30. v8spence

v8spence

Well good news from this side of the pond... I cleaned the fuel pump, filled it with fuel and poured some fuel down the carb and..... vroom! He started. Drove it around the industrial estate a few times. The generator is charging the 6v battery too.
    Question time....
    1) The waterpump leaks from the drive shaft, not sure if thats an easy fix?
    2) The engine will not start without fuel being poured down the carb, not sure why?

Just started putting in a new loom including a nice 8way fuse box.
    :)