Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 50 ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftycoupe, Jul 19, 2013.

1. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Thanks for the comments had a warm day finally and got the dash and garnish moldings ready for paint also repaired the pivot on the driver rear flip out window. Hopefully have some pics of the dash and trim painted tomorrow if the weather holds out. Does anyone know the paint code or name for the stock steering wheel color and will regular basecoat clear hold up

2. qwick68

qwick68

Nice work, love garage builds......

3. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Been lookin thru my parts pile that came with it hoping to reuse the mufflers they are in really good shape
    [​IMG]

4. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Painted all the interior

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Oooh , super shiney ! Looks darn good . My dash was also black when I got it :

[​IMG]

It's a bit different now - tastey gold metalflake :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Love the flake and that chrome speaker grill id love to come across one of those. Got my dash reassembled and got a 52 ford steering wheel from dad I like it but still been working on restoring my stoc wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Not much progress been running new brake lines and undercoating. Had the first nice day here in a while spent the day in the garage with the kids. Rotated the tires on my o/t 80s ford ranger and had to see how the magnum 500 wheels would look on it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Been doin side work to fund my projects but i have started engine assembly new rod,main,cam bearings,and new rings. Got the heads at local machine shop getting heads tanked and shaved. Waiting on my dennis carpenter water pumps, new clutch and pressure plate then will be ready to install engine. Also have installed all new brake lines and hoses along with new brake shoes and turned drums. Got a pic of engine assembly still indecided on whether to paint engine ford bronze or just red.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bali-rod likes this.
  9. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Engine done waiting on water pumps and clutch kit to b able to sit it in and finished restoring my steering wheel

Attached Files:

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Looks nice, and can't wait to see it outside. I like you choice not to make it a tail dragger.

11. super cool. i love to watch the time line on your coupe while mine just sits on the side yard untouched. nice work

12. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Thanks for the words. Its been a long road of late mornings in the garage after work but its coming along. I received my water pumps clutch and pressure plate from dennis carpenter today so hopefully by first of next month ill b dropping the motor back in and hopefully everything goes off without a hitch.

13. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Finally engine is in it seems surreal but less than a year ago i drug this thing home in milk crates of parts and bolts im finally feeling the payoff. Gonna start the wiring, cant wait for the first startup

Attached Files:

14. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Ive made some progress got the motor and temp. wiring for a test fire having some fuel delivery problems and need some advice. Ive replaced fuel pump and its still not pumping ive primed the line by just sucking on the line on out side of pump till i filled filter and glass bowl but still not pumping on its own. I can fill float bowl and get about 20 seconds of run time but still not pumping. My thought is a worn fuel pump pushrod but ive also got alot of slop on the throttle shaft and its leaking im assuming that would cause a vacuum leak but would that prevent pump from pumping correctly

15. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Figured out my fuel problem the pushrod hdnt seated all the way down on the cam lobe. It fired up easily and ive got it tuned pretty close and got everything wired up. I was gonna run an alternator but stuck the old generator on for test fire and it just looked right on there so i found a 12v gen and regulator my dad had took off a falcon and put my ammetur and brushes in it and its charging. Now im workin on assembling front sheet meta and its test drive time.

Attached Files:

daddio211 likes this.
  16. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Got the front sheet metal assembled and everything wired except lights. Now i just got to find me a descent set of driver quality bumpers

Attached Files:

17. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Finished floor and trunk pans got a bead roller and a sheet of Steele and made my own I'm happy with results also converted to a 66 mustang tank I picked up a almost new tank from swap meet for 30 bucks couldn't pass the deal up and seems the ohm range will work with stock gauge haven't made it that far yet. I made a frame from angle to hold the tank.

18. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Hadn't been on here in a while managed to work some kinks out and take a few test drive still alot of odds and ends to a dress but u can't beat that first drive it's by no means a show car but I couldn't be happier

Attached Files:

19. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Also picked up a 51 coupe yesterday I would have loved to have it 2 years ago for parts when I started. got a great deal and tons of extra parts

Attached Files:

20. fiftycoupe

fiftycoupe
    from east tn

Its been a few years since I've posted updates. After getting the parts car I decided to tear it back apart and use the best of both cars. Paint is done and all new glass and weatherstriping. Bumpers are back from being replated will get pics when installed.

Attached Files:

i.rant and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

'51 Caps. I see a little Robert Mitchum there.:)
    Me Likey.