Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Went to Pinstripe School this weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Sep 28, 2013.

1. haychrishay

haychrishay

So when I was in my late teens I started trying to pinstripe...heavy emphasis on trying,messed with it for 4 or 5 years got married had kids and so on. Back in 08 I had "Hetz" stripe the track roadster I built and got to talking with him while he was working on ny car and was amazed at how much he shared with me. Growing up I watched Bob Butterly do alot of striping at my dads gas station. He used to rent a stall from us. And then Watched Roger Kilborn as he did some work on cars we had as well. So I was hooked. back to present day, I found out that Hetz does a 2 day school so me and Scott signed up and really enjoyed it. But it was hard and taxing, You watch someone with experience pick up a brush and you think...it can't be that hard! But you quickly find out how much talent these guys have and learn a real appreciation for the art. Here is some shots of the practice panels I did.And a coupe. pics of Hetz doing my car.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      120 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      129.2 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      201.3 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      195.8 KB
      Views:
    • 479.jpg
      479.jpg
      File size:
      49.9 KB
      Views:
    • 220.JPG
      220.JPG
      File size:
      101.2 KB
      Views:
  2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Bob Bond used to do a pretty good class in striping . He can be contacted through AutoArt magazine .

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Years ago, I read an article in Hot Rod about doing pin striping. I bought the brushes and paints and gave it a shot. I could do straight lines and some wide curves, but that was it. I didn't practice, so I never got good at it. I do enjoy watching it being done and I always wonder what if I had stuck with it. I might try it again one day. One day when life slows down a little.

4. thedreamer

thedreamer

Are you still messing with it Chris. I also did one of Jims classes in 2012 and had a blast. The man knows his stuff thats for sure.

5. I'd love to learn, but I have problems with the muscles in my right hand shaking and twitching. My handwriting is getting progressively worse, so striping would be impossible.

6. haychrishay

haychrishay

Yea, I've been practicing alot the last few nasty weekends and some evenings. Im getting this design down and I did the three tear drops ? on the decklid and over the headlights on my 40

Attached Files:

7. Jim is not only a great artist but one of the nicest people I know.I first met him at Camp Courageous many years ago and we run into each other at various panel jams.He is ALWAYS willing to share.

8. jhaas63

jhaas63

Not true man! I just had my doors lettered on my old 53 f100 by a guy with Parkinson's. And it looks awesome!

9. Looks good!

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks good on your 40--congrats

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've been "striping" on and off for over ten years.

Unfortunately it's the one thing I'm afraid I've failed at. I'm not willing to settle for the quality and line consistency that prevails with many "stripers" today. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist and watching how easy real pros make it look hasn't helped.

Anything I've put as much time into learning has been a triumph. But getting that loaded sword to do what I want has been the bane of my existence.

12. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched Bob Butterley (Carob) stripe, letter and gold-leaf whenever he came to Cedar Rapids. I am still in awe at how thin his stripes were.

13. I 'won' my first model car contest and Butterley was running it at the Nationals. It was a snap tite 55 Chevy. My dad knew him well.

14. haychrishay

haychrishay

Watching the guys at the paneljam at retro rewind some of them had a little hand shake. I'm gonna keep on playin in the shop and see what happens and thanks for the compliments.

15. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was about 15 Bob found out I was crazy about Shelby Cobras. The next time he was in town he gave me an un-built AMT Cobra model from the 60s that was still in the box. This was before the Cobra craze hit and before manufacturers started making them again and they were really hard to find. Bob was a heck of a nice guy.

16. thedreamer

thedreamer

Looks great Chris. You can do it Dan or just call me.<---- joking. Jim is a great guy and could be like others that feel if the reveal any trade secrets they may be ran out of business, but instead he wants to teach and let the art live on.

17. Model T1

Model T1

I'll bet there are a lot of others who'd love to pinstripe. I also played around years ago. It takes way more practice than I had time for.

I also miss Porkys cruises in Des Moines. Heard it closed long ago.Still have a Porkys window sticker on my wagon.

18. haychrishay

haychrishay

I think it was done in 08 and tore down soon after, they were supposed to build a Hy Vee there but the lot sets empty. Then they tried to revive it on E14th at an old Okobji bar and grille renamed Porky's but just never went over. Bennigans on Merle Hay by the interstate does Weds ans Sat cruise night.

19. iarodder

iarodder

I SO miss Porky's also, it was the most fun driving the pro street to Des Moines every weekend (that was when gas was at it's all time high, like $4.10 or so a gallon), and the truck only got 4-5 mpg. LOL those were the days.:D Good work on the stripes.....I wish I had more time to work on mine but that's o.k.