Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 f100 front axle, springs and caster shim installation??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Jan 25, 2014.

1. I am finally getting around to assembling the front suspension with steering so I can get the frame rolling again. I have a few questions and am a bit confused with the springs and caster shims.

Do the front springs have a front and rear? Or it doesn't matter? Also which caster shims do I need to use? Or do I have to use them at all? I'm pretty sure the shim on the bottom is what came off of the truck.
    [​IMG]

2. Anyone familiar with the 57-60 f100?

3. if the springs are the same on each end with same diameter bolts and the center bolt that holds the spring together is located directly in the center of the spring, then the spring can be installed in either direction. the flat spacer is just a spacer used between the spring and axle. The angled spacer is for caster. If you need more caster install the shim with the thick end towards the front. this adds more caster to improve handling.

4. The thing is I can't remember if the front of the front spring was different in length then the rear of it. Also I'm pretty sure the shims came off of it just can't remember if it was the thicker side to the front or the rear.

5. the thick part of the shim is towards the front this leans the axle back for caster. if the axle leans forward it will not drive or handle very good even for a straight axle.

6. Ok so either way this axle needs these shims right? I was told that I shouldn't mess with it that only an alignment shop should. Well there is no way since this truck isn't even a truck right now.

7. nothing wrong with letting your alignment shop shim as nacessary

8. In the mean tome what should be done since I need to assemble this trucks suspension

9. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

The front eye of the front spring will have a metal sleeve in it that is not integral to the bushing. This sleeve is the buffer between the front bushings and the spring eye. The rear bushing has the inner sleeve, outer sleeve and rubber as one piece.

So, the front eyes should have a separate metal liner in the eye, whereas the rear eyes don't. (The shackle goes in the front.)

Hope this helps.

As for the shim, the thick end goes up front. I would put one in just to help the driveability on the way to the alignment shop. I have 4 degree shims with my drop axle. The are about a quarter inch thick in the front.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  10. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390755990.805034.jpg

Here is my front spring front eye. I had to make a new liner because I cut out the old one because I was being a dork.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. I found my manual and says the thick end goes to the rear?

12. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

Sorry, you are correct. The axle is below the springs, so the thick part goes to the rear. I had to go out and crawl under the truck to get it right.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!