Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Sedan Gender Reassignment Surgery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Blackroad

Blackroad
    from Sydney

Subscribed, love these build threads

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Got a full day in on the car so I thought I post the progress.

Worked on the door posts today to get them ready for the new quarter skins. I welded a piece of 1/4" by 1/5" flat bar vertically to the door post exactly 3/16" away from the back edge of the door. Then I capped the back side of the post with a piece of sheet metal. I should be able to overlap the quarter skin over the flat bar which will make a nice clean, strong door edge and the jam side will look super clean.

Brad

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and Pufff like this.
  3. The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer

I love to watch stuff like this ! Keep us updated !

4. Looking good Brad !!

Oh yeah-
    Seeing that Truck cab reminded me
    Truck cab with coupe quarters, wasnt that part of the original plan?
    I had plans on doing the same thing. For years I'd been looking for a cab at a decent price. Shortly after I sent the tail section off, I found almost exactly what I had envisioned for years already done ( well sort of lol!).

Stop in and check out "my next pet project"

Attached Files:

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I built a coupe body out of parts and for a long time it looked like it would never come together. The cowl and the roof to the back of the doors came from a fordor, and the back half from an old racecar body. Here are the before and after pics. All I can say is keep at it, it looks like you are on the right track!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Nailhead A-V8 and K.L like this.
  6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

ss34, I am glad you posted those pics. That should give anyone inspiration to tackle a project of this size. SUPER JOB!

7. ...nice work !

8. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Another Honey Badger builder , love it when someone with balls and patience can make chicken soup from chicken POOP !

9. Uptown83

Uptown83

Nice work. looking forward to this build and it looks like your doing it right.

I have a 5w body that made out of 7 different cars. Luckily they are all 5w's though

10. 3blapcam

3blapcam

You Canadians are so weird! Who measures inches in fifths! ;-)

I like watching these builds! Looks good, keep up the momentum!

3blap.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

subscribed........ man i cant wait to see how this turns out.. i wish i could find a steel coupe shell

12. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

LOL Thanks 3blap

That was a total typo I ment to say 1/2". But you were write, us canadians can be a little fucked up.

Thanks for all the support fellas I'll be back out there tonight and I'll update my progress.

Brad

13. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Got some more work done out there last night. Only had a few hours so things didn't get as far as I would like. I was able to get the front side of the 5th window opening in and lined up on the driver side. I cut the stock 4dr B pillar off write around the belt line. Then I spliced the front part of the window opening in, with the post and all. It took a bit of time to get everything to line up, but in the end it was no problem.

Brad

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  14. AHotRod

AHotRod

Good job Brad.

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Looking like a coupe... Great work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Interested in your crumbs if your interested in selling. Have a 34 tudor that needs rear quarters, wells and a back panel. Email me if interested.

17. budd

budd

have you cut 3/4" out of the b piller?

18. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Man you have some killer skills........keep at it....

19. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Got some good work done this weekend on the car.

Budd
    When you say 3/4" out of the B pillar I assume your talking about the width? The coupe B pillar is quite a bit narrower your write. If you were to leave the 4 dr B pillar unmodified the rear garnish moldings wouldn't fit.
    When I did the door posts I used the top third of the rear door post all complete with the front part of the window opening. I spliced it into the bottom 2 thirds of the B pillar write around where the door handle is located.

If you talking about the 3/4" that it is taller then Yes I will take care of that as well once I chop it:D

So here's what I did this weekend! I finished up both door posts and skinned the quarters. Skinning the quarters was SUPER easy. I just used the rear door skins. So I took my grinder and ground through the edge of the door and the skin lifted off no problem. Then I clamped it on the car and lined up the belt lines, got them looking nice. I left it long on the door edge side. Then I cut through both layers on the overlapped quarter. That gave me a perfect seem to but weld. The passenger side of the rear clip I got was real beat up so I was able to cut most of that out. There was one big crease I had to repair witch was no biggy. I'm sure for most of you this is common seance but here's A little tip if you're repairing creases or deep sharp dents in a body panel. Take your torch and heat up the area around the dent and then hammer and dolly it. That stretched metal has to go somewhere and by heating around it, it forces it to go to the heat which is the very area where it use to be. Works like a charm.

This is what it looks like all tacked up.

Brad

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, Pufff and redzula like this.
  20. Wow, are you making progress or what !!!
    Looks great.

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

22. fordcpe

fordcpe

Looking great are you going to use the sedan rear roof or you still looking for a coupe roof.Looks good keep working on it fun to watch. Darrell

23. So bad ass and great info as you go along. I have been saving all the threads of ones built like this since this is the only way I will be able to have a 33 34 coupe as well. Keep the updates coming and great work so far.

24. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Fordcpe
    Thanks Darrell I plan on using the sedan rear roof and the rear wheel wells to reapair the rotten ones. The wheel wells arn't the same from 4 dr to coupe so they will need to modified, but I would rather use ford metal anywhere I can over repop stuff. Besides I'm a broke ass and thats all I can afford.:D For that matter the roof is way different as well so It will need modifing as well. Nothing is the same on those sedans I have found out, it ALL needs to be modified. LOL OH well,,, cut er up,,, I guess :D

Brad

kiwijeff and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  25. Great work man. I cannot wait to start on mine!

26. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good, and I like that it's using virtually all-original pieces. I don't think making the sedan roof look coupe-proportional will be all that difficult.

27. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

28. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Maybe you've already noticed this... but If you haven't already, you'll need to thin out the B pillar if you ever plan on getting glass in or a garnish molding on those rear quarter windows. The 4dr B pillars are thicker front to rear than coupe ones. I just narrowed mine from just below the beltline up.