Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 34 Chevy RPU, anybody got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwijeff, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Clive, if your interested, i would make a vid, so you could see what needs doing. I know you got the skills, time and engine to finish this, but id hate to side track you, from the Lincoln. Its starting to come together really well, although if you keep at it the way you have been, it'll be done soon. :)

2. Well, here's a pic of the car long ago. The hood sides were temporarily off while we struggled with a cooling problem. Flex fan and fan shroud cleared that problem, so the hood sides went back on.

Attached Files:

• IMG.jpg
      IMG.jpg
      File size:
      440.1 KB
      Views:
    kiwijeff likes this.
  3. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

Jeff... I just read this build thread with interest. It's a great start that you are off to. That cream '34 was at the VCCA Central Meet in Port Huron Michigan last year. It's owned by Dave Rickabus. I was one of the judges that judged it. You've never seen 5 more confused guys than our judging team looking over this thing! It was beautiful! And not one of us new a damn thing about Aussie vehicles! At that point, you judge for dirt, paint, and body work. We scored it pretty high, because it was a quality job. Not a clue if the parts were correct or genuine for a Holden bodied car!
    Best of luck with this build, I'll be watching this. Great start!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. Thanks for the pic, 37hotrod. The sides off looks cool, and its good to have options. Brewster, thanks for the info, and judging by the long empty space, some pics. My cheap phone wont let me see em. I'll have to go see my buddy down the road, and use his computer. :) If i see this through to the end, im sure it'll end up cream with red fenders. Ive figured out what power plant i'd like to use, but its a radical departure from the sleeper look i was aiming for. It wont happen for several reasons, main one being money. Im thinking blown small block! :D :D But, a mans allowed to dream...

5. IMG059.jpg I was going to have the front panel work apart, and engine out by now, but painting my parents roof has turned into a big job. Got 6 hours on it today, in the hot summer sun. Thats 6 hours that wasnt spent on the Chev, but its nice to be giving something back. My folks are very good to me, and i like to do something for them, when i can. Heres a pic, with some sutle changes since the last pic.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  6. IMG061.jpg IMG063.jpg IMG061.jpg IMG063.jpg Another useless update, but i got pics, :D Yesterday, i took the mid part of the afternoon off, from painting the roof, and went down to the wreaking yard. Kev asked me to polish the bright work on his GT Falcon. Its about to get an engine transplant. It runs a 302 Windsor, and its getting a 351 Windsor, thats had 18 grand spent on it. Should be a weapon when its all bacj together. :) While there, i grabbed his engine hoist, and dropped it off at home, for whipping the Chevs engine out. Im taking the weekend off painting, to do some cash work, and hopefully get the front off the Chevy.

Edit: Kev got the flash engine in his Falcon, lost control in the wet, and rolled the thing! Its a bit of a mess.

7. luke13

luke13

lookin at your front guards jeff and they look real good, a little work at the front and theyll be fine, but those rear guards are nearly toast, just a thought here but could you chop up some repro harley front guards, "you know" the big old dresser ones. they fit a 16" rim and tyre and with a lil imagination and cut and weld i think theyd be close , ive seen the repros going cheap from time to time, i don know just a thought.

8. IMG109.jpg IMG111.jpg IMG113.jpg IMG115.jpg IMG119.jpg IMG120.jpg IMG122.jpg Its been another stunning summer day down here again. I got my 28 Hudson Speedster stript down, so the 34 could take its spot. The Hudson chassis needs striaghtning, blasting, and painting, so everything worked out great. Those Hudson Super Six engines are big! :)

9. luke13

luke13

yes those hudson mills are neat, specaily with that twin carb setup.

10. Hey Luke, not sure if ill fix what i got, or get better fenders, but the Harley option is something to keep in mind. Ive go two Super Six engines, a 28, and a 29. The 28 is the one in the pics :)

11. IMG123.jpg IMG124.jpg Heres a pic of the rear garnish moldings, fresh outa the molasses tank. I took pic before they flash rusted. The other pic is of my shed. Wish the end of the rainbow was at my shed, i could do with a pot of gold. :D

12. IMG126.jpg IMG129.jpg IMG130.jpg I've been so busy with other things in the last week, and i havnt had much time to work on the Chev. Yesterday, i got the left front fender, grille and radiator off. The engine turns over by hand, but when i hooked it up to a battery, the starter wouldnt wind over. I took it out, and its not stuck. Hope to get it working today, and maybe it'll run.

13. Keep

Keep

Late to the game, but one of our club has a 34 pu with a 454 in it.

Thought I had some better pics, I will see if I can find more, if you like.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. Thanks Keep. The 454 would make it fun.

15. IMG133.jpg IMG134.jpg IMG135.jpg IMG136.jpg I got a little done today.

16. IMG170.jpg IMG172.jpg IMG171.jpg I went to the city last week, and we picked up some 34 parts, from a fella who is building a Sedan Delivery from a 34 Chev 4 door Sedan. We also dragged a 47 GMC chassis home for my nieghbour. Theres a front and rear end, 5 wire wheels in good nick, and engine and box. My buddy brought em to sell, so i got first dibs on the wheels. Got the front seat out today.

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

....did you say "blown small block"? :D :D

Attached Files:

18. IMG174.jpg Thats what my fingers typed, but my wallet denies any involvment :D It Will have a new owner by the time it comes to powering this thing. Look what was hiding under the front seat :)

19. With the help of a good fella from a Chevy site, Rusty Bowties, i have learned from the chassis tag that EC = Standard Sedan chassis, H = August production, but wer'e not sure what the X means. Maybe Export? The 21210 proberbly means the 20,210 chassis built, but it could also indicate it was out of New York, and number 210 off the assembily line. The body tag is missing, and should be on the firewall.

20. Not necessarily. My body tag is on the floor on the front passenger side, right inside the scuff plate.

21. IMG179.jpg IMG178.jpg
    Musta been diffrent for 35. That location has the chassis vin plate for 34. The Chevy guys tell me there should be a separte body vin tag. :) Amazing the diffrent tools needed for workn on early Chevys...

22. I now have both rear fenders off. Heres a few pics. IMG181.jpg IMG184.jpg IMG180.jpg IMG182.jpg IMG185.jpg

23. IMG187.jpg IMG188.jpg IMG189.jpg So i found out today this is really a 1935 Chevrolet. I also spent most of the day workn on pulling the engine, and body. Still muckin around with steering collum, then the bodys of. The engine came out without any fuss.

24. IMG192.jpg IMG191.jpg IMG190.jpg uI took a pic of the Chevy 6 next to the Hudson Super 6. Cool comparison. The cowl vent is out. We all like em, but its not needed in a RPU. Ive also put a pic of an original body mount rubber, in great condition.

25. The Super 6 looks like a monster.
    I'm really enjoying this build!

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. IMG199.jpg IMG198.jpg IMG199.jpg IMG198.jpg Thanks Flowmiester. I was a little bummed out to find its really a 35, but i'll carry on untill someone wants this thing, more than i do :) i only had 3 wire wheel with it, and scored another, which i had on the back of the Hudson, when i took this pic. Its one of my customers on his way to The Beach Hop, in the North Island. Its going to take him three days to get there, and a few tanks of gas :D

27. Heres the engine number, M R 5 I I 9 0 5 5. This is more proof that my 34 is really a 35 :D

28. IMG201.jpg IMG202.jpg IMG203.jpg I took the body off today.

29. I got silly with old engine, and spent the last few days cleaning it up, and giving it a hot rod paint job :D I got sick of looking at it all rusty, and had some VHT red, so i got the left side mostly done, before running out :)

Attached Files:

30. that's looking good, engine rebuilt by V.H.T.

kiwijeff likes this.