Register now to get rid of these ads!

350 trans problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HASR, Jan 25, 2014.

1. HASR

HASR
    from Illinois

I have a 350 trans that I just installed in a 54 Bel Air that will not shift into 3rd. The 1-2 shift is great and reverse is solid. Here's the story: The trans was rebuilt many years ago but was never installed. After installing it with a new convertor, I noticed that the tailshaft would not spin. The torque convertor was installed properly. Pulled trans out of car and brought it to a transmission guy that came highly recommended from other rodders. He pulled it apart and found that a clutch had not been installed properly and was bent. He replaced the clutch and said that everything else was new. After reinstalling the trans everything was fine with the driveshaft.

After finally getting the car on the road, the trans will not shift into 3rd. The 1-2 upshift is fine, reverse is great. I checked the modulator with a vacuum pump and it pulls at 15 inches of vacuum. I adjusted it down to open a little sooner. No change in drivability. I replaced the vacuum line and moved it from the manifold to the bottom of the carb. No change. Engine has good vacuum. I took the kickdown cable off the carb. It seems to pull and spring back properly. I removed and inspected the governor. It came out easily. The gear is not chewed up and the weights move freely. I reinstalled the governor and drove it again. No change.

Is there a possibility that something in the valve body is stuck?? I'm at wits end with it. I don't want to pull the trans back out to bring it back to the trans shop if it is something that I can do myself.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

John

2. this may be something the transmission guy could check out and fix on his lift. I would ask him to look at it before you pull it out. Could save you lots of work and the guy should not mind backing up his work

3. HASR

HASR
    from Illinois

The trans guy will look at it if I pull it again. I'll only pull it as a last resort.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

Find another transmission guy. Never heard of one that had to have it out of the car just to troubleshoot shifting problem.

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Maybe the valve body has been modified or not assembled correctly.

6. WDobos

WDobos

Have you adjusted the kickdown cable ?

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Problems in the valve body. I went through this a long time ago. Mine would only go into 3rd intermittently. Turned out to be a spring, one of several, had fallen out of place.

Your trans guy should be able to drop the pan and pull the valve body. If he can't, find another trans guy. Being able to drop the pan and do a check, is something even the smallest of shops should be able to do.

Put your modulator back on manifold vacuum.

8. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

amen........ Lw

9. HASR

HASR
    from Illinois

Ive adjusted tge kickdown cable, even took it off the carb and checked the movement. Ive printed valve body diagrams. I'll pull the pan today and inspect the valve body.

10. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

Google the b&m TH350 shift kit instructions . These instructions will give you a idea of 3rd gear shifting application . Good luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. HASR

HASR
    from Illinois

Well, I downloaded the B&M instructions and took the trans apart. I didn't find anything wrong but then again, I don't know much about transmissions. The carvis going back to the trans shop tomorrow. Hopefully bit will be something simple.

12. HASR

HASR
    from Illinois

The trans guy says the valve body is junk and there is a stuck piston? He wants 380 to fix it. We' taking it to another shop for a second opinion.

13. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Was this the guy who just looked it over?