Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is the worst thing you have seen done on a build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edsel58a, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

We had a T roadster in the shop, master cylinder under the floor, and it had a rod from the pedal to the master, but was not hooked into the master, so when you let off the brakes the rod came completely out and could fall out of the back of the master cylinder. Solution? They bolted an eye bolt through the floor for the brake rod to ride in. On a side note, I'm no super wiring guy, but does anyone know why a roadster with points or hei needs more than 8 wires? This thing had enough wire in it to wire 5 or 6 cars.

JW

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you show some pictures of your chassis?

Doc.

3. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Sorry about there being other threads, guess I missed them.

I also want to see good craftsmanship, but also want to know the don'ts, although some are obvious!!!!

4. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

A couple good ones from the '70's- a kid from Yountville had a '56 Chebbie he found someplace, had a cheezy straight axle setup, and he had this 3fiddy he'd had done for his '64 pickup, so he's gonna have the baddest car in town, swaps the 3fiddy and finds an old box tunnel ram, works all day Saturday on it, and shows up with a carload that night in Napa, gonna go street racin'. I see something funny from a distance, so I had to go look- he had hooked up the throttle with a length of toilet flapper chain between the firewall and the TR bellcrank :rolleyes:

Another from St. Helena, a guy bought this little T-bucket, basic from the era, frog-pond green, big-n-littles, diamond tuck etc. So this thing had a healthy 340 Mopar in it, and a completely unreinforced frame, no boxing, braces, nothing, and it had a drag link down the left side like a Super Modified to connect the steering. That thing would change lanes if you sneezed at the gas pedal, and if he hit it hard, it would bounce the right-side header off the ground :eek:

5. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

See the leaf springs in this post? http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1775041&postcount=26
    i had a car with quarter elliptic rear springs like that from the factory. It had those friction type shocks for the top links, from the factory in 1930! Oversteer was normal.
    (R.I.P. it was stolen while i was seeing a doctor, i know who took it & they only took it for the metal content)

6. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

This, it had a BBC in it as well.:eek:

Bad frame1.jpg

Bad frame 2.jpg

Scotty

7. Scumdog

Scumdog

8. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

9. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

someone put a SBC into something that wasnt a chebbie... :)

10. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

In the 80s two guys showed up with a '32 Ford pickup, hemi powered, at a club meeting. They wanted to join our club. So we started looking over the truck. They had removed the steering column tube and only had the inner shaft. A piece of 1/4" steel diamond plate formed a crude steering column drop at the dash, with a flame cut hole for the shaft to come through, complete with uncleaned slag. Needless to say they didn't get invited to return.
    Going back to the 50s, when admitedly things were cruder, I remember a guy from a town south of mine who cut a '50 Ford tudor into an elcamino type vehicle. This was popular at the time. He put a 303 olds motor in it with the hydro, but the motor was in crooked, probably 3" or more to the driver's side at the rear, clearly visible. Not to worry, he just hooked up a driveshaft with the u-joints forming a shallow "V" front to back and actually drove the car that way.

11. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Here is a build pic and a recent one.

Attached Files:

12. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

The frame X member "radiused" with a torch in 4 places in order to get clearance for dual exhausts.

13. fairlaneranch

fairlaneranch

Friends brother back in 81 had a 68 Chevelle with a small block swapped in with chain and pieces of 2x4 for motor mounts /frame mounts.He would brag on it all the time and do burn outs like a madman till his chain broke showing off. What a mess! the engine was on its side with a torn oilpan and the fire wall got buckled. Oil, Water,trans fluid all overThe only place that was attached was the trans mount and that didnt survive the twist. He was very lucky as he drove the wheels off that thing and it could have been much worst.