Register now to get rid of these ads!

>UPDATED<Painting chrome bumpers? Boo!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NorCArl, Jan 25, 2014.

1. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

Some of you guys are gonna hate this thread but this is my first build so please be patient...:eek:

Anyway, was pretty dissappointed when I found a heinous amount of filler under the primer on both my front and rear bumpers and, worst of all, all over the dagmars on my 55 Buick. Guess there was a reason the previous owner had covered up all that chrome...

Any brilliant ideas on where to go from here? This is an extreme low buck build for a daily driver so I'm leaning towards painting rather than new bumpers, and I dont think the bumpers I have are candidates for new chrome with all the bondo. Obviously if I went with paint, I'd have to do both the front and rear to match.

Was thinking I could try a silver, or go the complete opposite route and paint em black. Input? Is there anything that would not look terrible right up against the chrome, or do i just suck it up and black out the entire front end?

how they are now:
    [​IMG]
    some photoshop work:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. mattrod68

mattrod68

google chrome vinyl wrap, may be an option to put over body worked bumpers

3. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

wow, that stuff looks great! a little spendy but definitely better than new bumpers. I might have to give that stuff a shot.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think the problem with painting those bumpers is that they are so massive. A lot of chrome looks good, a lot of black.......ehhh? I understand about the price to chrome them though. $1500.00- 2000.00 maybe?

5. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

True, very expensive. Plus my understanding is that i cant chrome over the filler, correct? So im kinda over a barrel in that respect. What about embarcing the weird and going with white, or red, or a silver flake?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Try the chrome wrap, but It will be time consuming to do. Take your time, and be carefull or it will turn into a MESS. Goodluck. Mikey

7. If you decide to chrome you will have to work all the dents and dings out or most of the way out. The chromer will use silver solder to fill what cannot be worked or you can do that as well. Prep for crhome is the same as prep for gloss black paint, every little imperfection will show.

Like you said you cannot plate over bondo, but you maybe can get that same process done as they do when plating plastic. It may be an option and there are people who do that, or you may look into chrome powder coat, I have seen wheels done that way and they look good, not cheap but way cheaper than chrome plate (like around 100-200dollars a bumper). or look for another set of bumpers which is what most people would do.

Havce you considered roll pans? This is a common custom touch and may work in your situation as well. You can get away without roll pans on both ends sometimes. Think about it as another option.

Ok now I have built your car for you. Well not really just given you food for thought.

8. Inexpensive thought-rustoleum spray bomb 7271 silver metallic with rustoleum crystal clear. Also in spray cans.

Won't look like chrome or chrome wrap but does have a nice color.

9. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

30tudor - any pics of it in action?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. In the previous thread we discussed stripping the bumper..Did you ever do that? HRP

11. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

I did, that was how i found the offending body filler. 2 major portions on the bcak bumper approx 1 ft long each. Front bumper and dagmars riddled with filler also. Also whoever did the original work took a grinding wheel to the chrome in order to get the primer to stick. Its basically bare metal under there.

12. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

here are some that dont make me want to throw up too bad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

14. Judd

Judd

I hate painted bumpers. I have a friend with a beautiful 65 Falcon with painted bumpers and think chrome bumpers would be a 100 percent improvement in the look of his car. Having said that the glass bumpers on my comet are painted, sometimes you have to do what you can till you can do what you want.

15. The '53 Chevy looks like a black bumper Amish car. We have a fairly large contingent of Amish/Mennonite folks in this area. The ones who had advanced from the horse and buggy would buy a car (black) and paint all the chrome black. Wasn't too obvious. :rolleyes:

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I used the Rustoleum metallic silver with clear automotive enamel over it on a OT Maverick. Turns out looking like powder coating. The automotive clear will protect as well as add gloss. Without it, it will come off if gas ever touches it. Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

17. hamber dana barlow did a post in june and july of '13 about his re-doing an old hot rod he built years ago. I don't have the link but I did save a picture of some of his paint but for whatever reason it won't load. You might do a search of it yourself.

18. Save up some money and either have those bumpers repaired and plated or find a better set. I know that's probably not what you want to hear. Just my opinion but chrome is what makes an old car look good. It ain't cheap but it will make all the difference in the world. Painted bumpers always look like ass to me and when I see them I know right away that the owner cheaped out. Of course, this is just my opinion.

A '55 Buick without it's chrome...well it jus' ain't right. Chrome makes it go faster too...okay maybe not.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are chrome like paints and powder coatings. Not quite perfect immitations but close.

Yours are too far gone to chrome you may be able to find acceptable ones someplace. If not some kind of paint is the only answer.

Do a search for chrome paint, there is lots of info out there.

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I like P'n'B's suggestion of roll pans! Roll pans front and rear, a simple mesh and drawer pull grill upfront, and maybe some real slim split bumpers and a roll pan out back. You could fab it up relatively cheap and it'll give the car a nice custom look to it.

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

for me, it would have to be chromed. even one peice at a time.50's cars need it. it's part of their look.

22. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

2013-03-03 03.51.11-1.jpg I went through the same battle/dilemma with my 52. Grill and bumpers were shot. I too was gonna paint, but decided to just save up and get new bumpers. I had to make a compromise on the grill. It got painted instead of new chrome. Did not have the extra $1500 for the grill. Added some kitchen draw pulls for a cheap custom look. Good luck with yours.

23. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I think your biggest problem with painting them is that you still have a lot of other polished and chrome trim on the car. Years ago Scott Sullivan did a 55 called Cheeze Whiz that had all of the trim painted a nickel colour. Some guys hated it, but the design was cohesive. I think that if you can't go chrome, you would be best off doing a paint colour that is different enough that it doesn't look like a budget decision. You may need to paint the hood trim too in order for it to flow. Same goes for black, you should black it all out if that's the decision.
    Either way. The most important thing is to get it on the road. Driving daily with several grand worth of new chrome getting beat on would seriously reduce the fun of driving that car. You will be the guy running around town in that cool ride in any weather while all the other old cars are waiting for the perfect day to get out.

24. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I would at least chrome the bullits

25. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

all that expense for chrome is what drives down the prices on on the big bumper cars...

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would slick them off and paint them somewhat like Bamamay did and then start saving for a decent set of bumpers. Unless you are up against a show deadline the "when it's all done", isn't really that important as long as you keep working towards that goal.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It may take you a while to save up for them, but that car deserves chrome bumpers. IMO, anything else is going to look out of place. Run it the way it is and start saving and/or looking.

28. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I would paint them with a good silver paint and put a gloss clear finish over it. Do not paint any other colour. In the future when you can afford it get them chromed, or get some good chrome bumpers.

29. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

If your bumpers are beyond rechroming, then just invest in some masking tape and a few spray bombs of paint and experiment. What do you have to lose? Try a few different colors, and see what you like. Seems like your best option, unless you can find another set of bumpers in better shape. Seems like you have nothing to lose except your time, and the cost of the spray bombs and masking tape. Good luck, and give us pics. We love pics.:D

30. NorCArl

NorCArl
    from California

On another note, anyone know where i can get some of those nifty bolt-in mini dagmars for the holes in my grill (to replace the 'propeller'? (Sorry couldnt find any pics)