Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Roadster Crash INSIDE GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Vic is a friend of mine. Long time Cal Rods member & ex member in our club.
    Nicest guy you would ever meet.

Some of you comedians need to STFU

2. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

Appears the stance the car displays in that pic was a wee bit safer...

3. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

You've got to give kudo's to the engineer that speced the building...

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, after years of working for large companies I've heard the safety people say so many times, "There's no such thing as an accident" or "All these accidents are preventable".
    And it's always easy in hindsight to look back and point at things that could have prevented an accident. If everyone was out of harm's way, then nobody would have been hurt. If they look at the car and find a failed throttle spring, then we can point at it and say it should have been replaced. Whatever is found to have caused the stuck throttle can always in hindsight be looked at and said if it was different, replaced, or fill in the blank_____, it would not have happened.
    I guess we look at things differently. I've had an occasional "incident" here or there over my 64 yrs. that fortunately didn't hurt anyone or anything, but I look at that as divine intervention, or luck when I got off easy. I also learned from them, and tried to do things differently in most cases, but in other cases I just couldn't see how there would be much I'd do different. Just my opinion.

5. A lot of them are

6. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very sorry this happened to a beautiful car. And super glad people weren't hurt worse. Seems the driver could have also gotten hurt very badly in this one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. aircoup

aircoup

was the owner hurt ?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It looks like something moved the windshield forward quite a bit, possibly the driver when it stopped suddenly.

Hope everyone is ok.

Don

9. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awful.

I'm ashamed of some of you. Nothing has proven this was a result of neglect on anyone's part, so you should keep your "holier than thou" opinions and remarks to yourselves. Things can go wrong for anyone. Accidents are called accidents because they are not "on purposes".

I wish the judge a speedy recovery. I read in a previous post that his medivac flight may not be covered by insurance, and if that is the case, I'd like to donate some money to start a fund to offset his costs. Can anyone close keep tabs on him?

10. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Bummer. My wife is upset at this thread. I forgot all about GNRS this year and she bought tickets to surprise me Saturday morning. I saw this thread, showed her and said we should go. There goes my surprise early valentines day present. She's mad because it's not a surprise now. I'm still happy.

11. seatex

seatex

Damn unfortunate for everyone involved. Could have been a helluva lot worse, though. Goes to show your life can change in a second. Hoping for a quick recovery for the Judge, and the driver....................

12. agtw31

agtw31

looks like the car had no brakes as well

13. Drive Em

Drive Em

Brakes will be of little help in the case of a stuck throttle.

14. wish a speedy recovery to those involved.
    looking at the car, i wonder what is included in making the repair. it almost looks like there is no paint damage to the tin. i wonder if the frame is actually bent? what parts do you think it will need?

15. agtw31

agtw31

[​IMG]

16. OneBad56

OneBad56

I don't think the driver hit the windshield at all, steering wheel is okay and the buckets are low. It looks like it broke off at the bottom of the posts from the sudden stop.

17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What we should focus on in this thread is that a beautiful car that someone obviously put a lot of time and money into is now smashed and that someone was hurt. Feel so sorry for the owner and the judge that was hurt.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  18. agtw31

agtw31

i appreciate and understand your opinion.

19. And for more excitement if it was a manual transmission it would disconnect the clutch crossshaft from the ball stud on the bellhousing. Ask me how I know about that......:eek:

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Wow,

The chain of events that can add up to no good.

Ago

21. Those door frames are steel bucks that are installed and set in concrete early on in the construction. They are made to outlast just about anything.

Anything less and the car could have gone outside and things could be way worse.

Bob

22. I must have missed the part in this thread where someone said "Hey Stretchmobile, your wife bought you surprise tickets to the GNRS." What reason does she have to be mad?!?!? I mean really, how long was she going to wait to tell you that she got you tickets?

I had a wife like that once..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JH

23. No. the Fire Marshall was not inattentive. ALL cars at the GNRS are required to have less than 1/4 tank of gas and the battery disconnected after they are in their spot as well - none of that applies to what happened here.
    Part of the AMBR judging, which is done differently than the rest of the show, is that the contenders drive the car in past the panel of judges so they can get a view of how the car looks in motion and how the driver looks in the car. It is then parked and the judging panel looks over the car for the rest of the juddering. This manner was instituted a few years ago, due to an outcry from Hot Rodders, including MANY on here that the cars that were winning were Not real cars that could or should be driven. Generally the cars just idle up to be judged. Most people are smart enough to not blip the throttle or try and show off (and I'm not saying that is what happened here). Additionally EVERY car in competition for the whole show has to show that it can run, and I would say from all my years of showing that 90+% of the cars are driven in and out of the building.
    Now I don't know if this happened during this cars judging, or just while it was being moved in to its show place, but obviously there was either a mechanical or operator failure. Things do happen, and I would Not want to see the drive rule eliminated because of this incident.
    As for cars having to be street legal and insured, well, at least one of the AMBR competitors in each of the last couple of years has been a race car (including this year) and I don't think those cars should be excluded. I also really doubt that some cursory "Tech Inspection" by a "Car Show Judge" (and I was one for Many years) would make any difference in 99.9% of the cases and you would also then pass liability to the show management and that "Inspector" if something like this did happen.

Yep, that door way now has a bit of plywood on the frame and the glass is replaced. It looked pretty sturdy to me last night when I looked at it.

24. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Fortunately, it looks like the right frame rail just missed the door framework by inches. Not that it wasn't a measurable impact to the doorway, I would think, had the right frame rail hit the doorway dead on, there would be more damage. The right front tire/wheel area is a "soft" area compared to the frame rail. Sorry to see this happen, both for the owner and injured judge. Stu

25. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Ouch man! What a way to add insult to injury. Nobody expects shit like this to happen. It sucks for the guy who got run over, the car owner, the car and so on.

When I had my car in the suede palace a few years ago I wasn't allowed to start it to move it out,it had to be pushed... I wonder why the car was being driven inside in the first place?

26. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

This answers my question in the previous post.

27. OneBad56

OneBad56

The rumour of a stuck throttle is just that.....a rumour.

Actual cause is still unknown.

Wish the "arm-chair" accident investigators would just remain silent until the factual information becomes known.

28. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Man, I was not going to respond to this thread because I have nothing construtive to add, except my prayers to the judge and owner.
    If there can be a bright side to this incedent, lets all double check and/or install double return springs to our rides when showing/driving them.
    Even that does not insure every thing will go rite BUT it may help insure there wont be another thread simulair to this one.
    Wish the Judge and the owner to get well soon, the unforseen can happen to any of us at any time

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  29. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

old timer hit the wrong pedal.. runs a guy over.. hope Vic is ok.

30. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Cruel!

Ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.