Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Alingment Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Coupe_of_Frankfurt, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Fellow Hambers,

I tried to search the forum for what I need and checked my literature.
    Does anybody know the original difference in cowl and radiator height?
    Or how to measure it (support rod's angle o.t.l.)?

see picture..

Since I am not using the original radiator and wood/rubber blocks, the right angle does not arise from just putting everything together.

My hood is slightly out of shape, so I need a different reference point.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

In return, here's a pin-up of Nadja in my car. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Have you checked on the Ford barn web site. They have a whole section on model A's. Some one there may be able to help you.
    Nadja is look good!

3. Thanks. I searched Ford Barn as well. Mostly found the advice that the radiator stands perpendicular and that shims adjust the cowl height and angle. I'll try harder..:)

4. ydopen

ydopen

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

5. Thanks John, unfortunately it is to high :)

Right now my strengthening rods drop towards the cowl (about 1") and as depicted in the drawing, it should be horizontal or even drop towards the front.

If, and if so, how much?

That was what I was looking for.
    Sorry, asking complex technical questions probably exhausts my language skills every now and then. :)

6. ydopen

ydopen

My 1930 roadster has a 32 radiator and shell which should be same height as 1930 model A shell.I just measured it.

Distances from top of frame rail measuring to a level.

Top of rod at cowl=25 3/4"
    Top of rod at radiator= 25 1/2"

Top of cowl at hood welt= 28 1/2"
    Top of grill shell at hood welt= 27"

John

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  7. tim b.

tim b.

Nice car. My wife would kill me if I made her ride in the trunk, let alone take her picture in there :)

Couple if things to check. John's right that 29 radiator will sit lower on a 30-31 frame by about an inch or so. Difference in height of 28-29 & 30-31 radiator is the radiator itself. The difference in the cross member where radiator mounts on 28-29 vs. 30-31 is about 1/4". That's why late 29's with 30 cross member needed a shim with the rubber radiator mount pad to align the 29 hood. A 30-31 radiator should sit correctly on a 30-31 frame but need some shimming up to compensate for the lack of hood shelves if you aren't using them. Slant towards cowl indicates body low or radiator high. Assuming frame & cowl are 30-31, if there was no change to frame (and you checked for any sag before assembling), 30-31 front cross member, & body not channeled, verify radiator & body blocks have correct dimensions. Check Ford Barn forums for 30-31 radiator dimensions. (I have a 29 so I can't help). There are some good tips for hood alignment there as well. Good luck.

Tim

8. Dear John & Tim,
    thanks a lot for your help.
    I am getting the idea now.
    The setup of 30-31 frame & first member, B radiator and not using wood blocks brought me off the track.

So I assume a light slant of the rods towards front is fine.

Thanks, André

PS: she isnt my wife...:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files: