Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official Paint Code Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vintage Vandal, Jan 13, 2014.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Whyle it's true that automotive finishes containing aluminum, bronze or brass flake, as well as ground fish scale, and even sea shells have been around since the teens, the use of the term ''poly'' that I refered to was directed to the resin that holds the flake & colour/s together.

Some may think the term poly and polyurethane are one in the same, and it looks like I did a poor job pointing that out!:eek:

And hey, all those goofy 70s colours sold alot of cars, and that's a good thing:D

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The name of this thread should be changed as the vast majority of the posters have not had a clue what the purpose of the thread was intended to be.

To post pictures of their rides and to also post the paint used, the brand and color code.

To maybe help someone find a color and code for the color.

Instead there have been all sorts of posts :rolleyes:

3. Koz

Koz

I'll try to get the concept off on a good start. Eastwood Black Cherry Pearl on a car built for Henry.....

[​IMG]

Eastwood, "Gold Digger" with European Clear over on Kess on heres truck....

[​IMG]

Good budget 2K urethanes that lay out well and block and polish nicely. Neither of the above were under the wheel yet at the time these pics were shot.

4. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Awesome! I had almost given up hope for this thread. Thanks

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    If you find my posts not helpful to your thred, I'd be more than willing to delete them, if you or someone else can tell me how.

6. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390624647.157020.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390624661.118671.jpg

2004 Mercedes Magma (red)
    DuPont Base/Clear

Looks deeper blood red compared to more "poppy" bright reds from Corvette, Porsche, Viper etc. also changes quite a bit in hue depending on the light or time of day (same car in both shots...)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. PPG Delfleet-single stage urethane #709920-sorry,no fancy color name for this-just a fleet code

Attached Files:

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's not my thread, I was merely pointing out how a possibly useful thread had gone way off track because of most peoples poor reading comprehension. :)

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

1941 Ford Mayfair Maroon flattened to 75% gloss. Single stage urethane Utech brand paint over grey primer

Gloss level appears shinier in some of the pics. Kinda looks like a Hershey bar wrapper maroon

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390699994.835737.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390700004.096371.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390700773.087421.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390700793.672111.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390700808.619800.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390700841.240220.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. indyjps

indyjps

TCP global is a paint distributor, they sell paint, has anyone contacted them to mix a code from the 30's or 40's, and gotten their recommendation? I plan to use their resto line stock colors on my next project. Sorry don't have a pic / code to post.

11. fryguy

fryguy

Jerry, I was just going to reply to the guy who was looking for the perfect 1941 Ford Maroon color. I was going to point him to look at your car. The pics don't do it quite a proper justice as its very cool looking color.

12. fryguy

fryguy

Pimping Paint, There's still hope for the hobby. There is a place in Reading, Pa called Colours on 5th Street HWY. It still sells new Laquer paint for the Car enthusthiast. They make you sign a waiver saying its for a restoration but thats no big deal

I'm sure there are other places around the country that sell this as well. Heck people may not even be in to painting using Laquer. I think its the best for the "The Look' But thats just my opinion.

Fryguy

13. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

1974 Corvette Dark Red Metallic #74 GM code.

[​IMG]

15. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

16. 12amrider

12amrider
    from tacoma wa.

17. 12amrider

12amrider
    from tacoma wa.

if you are looking for a paint code try paintref.com good luck wayne

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I quit trying to find "old color codes" because they seldom would match up to modern paint systems. I now grab a color chip book from a modern paint system Akzo Nobel/ Sikkens and have at it. Many of the "Fleet colors" match up to old looking non metallic colors. The Copper is called Liquid Copper and was a Infinity SUV color I believe. The Shoe Box was a early 2000's Porsche color called Carmona Red. The dark blue on my model A was also a Porsche color And the Blue on my 40 is is a mopar/ Jeep color called Surf Blue Pearl and is code PQD these were all out of a modern color chip book "Sikkens"

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  19. Guys, as per pic of my car in my Avatar , I am trying to find the name of the color. It is a 49 original color so it is either Fez Red or Midland Maroon Metallic, I am not sure which. The code on the tag has Paint 36 which does not give me any insights into the info in the 1949-50-51 Ford Book. It quotes the paint names and gives the color codes but that does not match anything on the cowl code re: Paint 36. The color samples printed are not much help as there seems to be so much variety on websites and hard copy books that it could be either color. Any thoughts?

20. Do you have access to the car? One is a metallic and one is not should be pretty easy to tell which colour it is if you have the car.

21. Currently being shipped US to AUS! To me it looks too light to be the Midland Maroon and the photos show the paint as being poorly maintained so it is difficult to tell if it is a metallic. Was hoping to shortcut via paint code.

22. According to this sheet out of a paint book there was no color identification on '49 Fords. No idea how accurate that is.
    gm_1949__ppg_i_03.jpg

And here are two paint charts from different companies that say the Midland Marron can't even be mixed. I hate to be a downer but unless one of the paint companies has developed a new formula for these two colours you are going to have a hard time getting anyone to mix it for you other than TCP Global in California.
    ford_1949__acme_c_01.jpg ford_1949__martin_c_01.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  23. And with the * against Fez Red, that is the second place I have read where this was only used on convertibles (which mine is clearly not, it is a custom club coupe). That kinda leaves it to the Midland Maroon and as you not, cannot be intermixed. Hmmm..... time to rethink the idea of getting any original paint mix and find a like color! Thanks for the help.

24. As for the doc about "no color identification", this is the plate showing Paint 36 Cowl code.jpg

25. Do you know it was an American car? 36 may be a Canadian paint code.

26. car doctor

car doctor

19 1489450792843672748589.jpg 29 Ford model a color, Niagara blue ppg base coat-clear coat

27. Oh, didn't realize that north of the border, they used their own conventions! Yep, I have a suspicion that it was Canadian built as the cowl code also does not fit with the conventions of US builds ie. it starts with 0472H. Based upon the 1949-50-51 Ford Book the 04 could be paint color as that corresponds to Midland Maroon, 72 corresponding to Custom Deluxe Club Coupe but don't know where the H fits in.