Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. cabong

cabong

Now, about that hood hold-up wire...Here's the rest of the story. I couldn't even begin to guess what this hood weighs, but believe me, it is HEAVY, and there are no hood springs as yet. Needless to say, I wouldn't show this pic, except to pass judgement on just how great a craftsman Gene Winfield is. That hood scoop simply says "bring it on o'minions of modifications, this is a mere hill for a high stepper". That leading edge did not move, period. Now image what it took to straighten out the smacked side, which if you noticed in the earlier pics, was down about half way to the hood.
    [​IMG]

NOW, 'Mo, that's downright ornery and cruel, almost as bad as the gold 216. Depending on time, we may have to lop 2 jugs off this bent 8, and git back to the basics.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

A Wimbledon type of white would set off the dark purple well. Can't be too close to a modern "refridgerator" white or the car risks losing its "old schoolness".

Highlander has been drilling that into my skull for years! (LOL)

I think that a white & lavender pinstripe combo would "pop" on it too.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. cabong

cabong

About the color, the top has been done for many years, and is the typical white of a convertable top. It actually looks like a conv top without the top bow lines. At the risk of repeating myself, it was made out of a couple hoods (not to confused with 'by a couple hoods'), one being a Dodge and one being a Chev. Then padded and covered, with a full headliner that matches the upholstery. The top color was typical of most "Carson" tops back in the day.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I vote Yes on the dark purple.

5. 'Mo

'Mo

Well, good, cabong. I was afraid you might take it the wrong way. LOL. :D

I don't mean to pry, but this thread leaves me with lots of questions.
    Shooting from the hip...

The club rebuild also deserves a lot of credit. When was that done?
    Was Leland in on that decision making? Who footed the bill?

Part two: Why did Leland consent to a second makeover from a newcomer?
    How did the hood/fender damage occur? Who pay$ for chrome?

Like I said, I don't mean to pry. But I can't help but wonder about all this (and more).
    Any elaboration is more than welcome.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. dubcee

dubcee

'Mo, how bout you read the whole 16 pages, all your questions will be answered there!

7. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Every time I hear about a fifties true custom being dark purple, I think of The Platters song Twilight Time. It has so many references to purple. Purple colored curtains mark the end of day, The afterglow of day. Just the thought of a beautiful purple sky at dusk reminds me of the beauty of a custom car.

8. cabong

cabong

WOW!!! We never stop learning....I did not realize that two of the taillights on a '54 Buick were just that, taillights. The other two are tail/stop lights. Now we know. This taillight choice is great. Thanks to whomever that was that suggested these puppies. I'm too tired tonite to go back through and see who it was, but thanks.

9. sololobo

sololobo

Holy Hambone Gene is my super hero!! ~sololobo~

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. cabong

cabong

I'm sure some people thought I was kidding about the mic and circle template. Well here's the proof. I caught Nick in the act of checking my work.

[​IMG]

This is a point where three different fender and inner door panels come together. Unfortunately the door line beneath the windshield was off, so here we are correcting the defugalty. I certainly didn't realize just how much lead it took to make this all happen.

[​IMG]

Again, this is the step where nothing seems to show. We made the brackets which stabilize the front fender bottoms, and are getting the taillights ready for installation. This intails new sockets, after my last discovery, and machining a spacer for the upper taillights.
    We're also looking at a different lens for the parklights, which will look much better.

Leland made a trip into the big city (Boise) yesterday afternoon to visit with the sawbones. This always worries me, but I'll find out this morning if all is well.

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I sure do like the tiny windshield on this thing - very sporty

12. A perfectionist, a village elder, and a get it done guy are a powerful combination.

13. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Did someone send you a bill for building this car? If not, I can't see how it's any of your business who spent their money on this project....I don't mean to pry...that some funny shit right there.

14. brianj

brianj

Good stuff. Subscribing.

15. rockfish

rockfish

Amen Frankie47. I was wondering if he was going to send a check out to Idaho to cover all the costs. I guess I was raised not to be such a nosey Nellie Actually I was a nosey kid but my dad taught me it was just plain rude to ask such questions.

To Cabong, Inspiring job on the car and it's fantastic what you're doing for Leland.

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hope all is well with you, Leland.

17. cabong

cabong

Now I'm git'n excited, more so than usual. We just mounted the bottom taillights. Couldn't do the tops 'cause the spacer material didn't show up. They will be spaced out about 1-1/4", so that the same amount of lens shows up from the side. These puppies will look great. They absolutely define the opening, and perpetuate the overall design of this era Chevy. That sounds rather dramatic, but you'd have to see it to know what I mean.
    By the way, Leland got a A+ from the doc. Just needs more excersize in his legs. I'm going to do a question and answer with him tomorrow or Sunday, about his late teen and early 20's, and why customs. Any question, lemme know. I can tell you, every time I ask Leland a question, I get a fascinating answer.

[​IMG]

18. I didn't like those openings at first but the car has to be what it is, That really pops and is going to look great.

19. looking good !

20. 'Mo

'Mo

I apologize. I meant no disrespect.
    I'll butt out now.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  21. Please pass this on to Leland.

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

WHERE in blue blazes did you find THAT word (in red)...??? I'm an editor and author and I HAD to look it up cuz I thot it was something you invented...!!!

Ya got me on that one Bruce...!!! And then you missed on "intails"...S/B "entails"... (Sure do like looking in on this thread...!!!)

R-

23. rockfish

rockfish

I just want to say thanks again to Cabong and Nick for not only creating this thread but primarily for what he is doing to help another man realize his dream. I don't think I'm being too dramatic when I say that this is an incredible example of giving. What I find most impressive is the friendship that has been formed with Leland. You're a fine man Cabong.

24. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Leland, When I had both knees operated on, each time the doctor had me exercise in the pool so that my legs got the stretching they needed but not as much pain while doing it...just a thought.

25. cabong

cabong

I gotta tellya, sometimes Nick and I get really smiley when things go so right. After several different sets of taillights and lots of head scratch'n, it all comes together. And, both Leland and his bride love'm. When Nick and I stopped grin'n, he noticed something else. These bullets not only bring the mini-dag look to the rear, and perpetuate the rearward slant of the '49-'50 Chevy, but they also match the bullets on the Merc bumper license plate overrider. I'm tell'n ya, the talisman of taildraggers is lurk'n nearby.

[​IMG]

These blinkers really look good from any direction.
    [​IMG]

26. cabong

cabong

The rear suspension has 2" blocks, and for the sake of aesthetics, we're installing 4". It needs to go down a ways. Mr. Winfield had "C'd" the frame when he first worked on this critter, so it won't be a problem to bring it back down where it should be. It appears the tailpipes were located poorly, and will require a tad of rework, but that will come later.

27. briarpatch27

briarpatch27

I have to admit, Cabong, that my skepticism was running high over the idea of Buick taillights but I have to admit, these are tits (no pun intended!). Now I cannot imagine anything else in their place. Did you complete the welding on the front end yet? Off to the chrome works? Keep on the interesting work!

28. raymay

raymay

Home run on the taillights. They look great.

29. I think those tail lights are the best custom effect I've seen to date. Especially when they are lit up.

All thumbs up, cause some days I've got more than two.

Scrib.

30. Way cool on the tails...well done.