Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch ford rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolieman, Jan 24, 2014.

1. coolieman

coolieman

Hello, I just bought a 9 inch ford rear with trac-loc from a friend he had ran it and said trac-loc was working fine so when changed the ratio on the ring and pinion I didn't mess with the trac-loc. now both wheels turn but 1 axle has alot of slack back and forward you can turn maybe 1/2 to 1inch I know ring gear and pinion are set correctly so I need to know what would cause this in the trac-loc or is it normal to have that much play on 1 side Thanks,Mike

2. Jason455

Jason455

There has to be something worn. I just rebuilt my tracloc and no play. Im not an expert but there's play somewhere. Maybe the pinions?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. xwing01

xwing01

How good of a "friend" is he?

4. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I'd say she's fugly worn out, shouldn't be anywhere near that much slack. IMO

5. von Dyck

von Dyck

Stock 31 spline axles are prone to wearing more so than the 28 spline. Pull the axles and see if it's spline wear.

6. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The 9" Traction-Lok only has clutches on the drivers side axle, so the play in the differential pinion and side gears will come through on the passenger side.

7. coolieman

coolieman

I pulled unit out and 2 springs were broke order rebuild kit

8. mechanic58

mechanic58

I got a 31 spline trac-loc in my shit - it's tighter than dick's hatband on both sides.