Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Cab chop on 31 model a frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang rob, Jan 22, 2014.

1. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

2. 1st of all I'd suggest you settle on a really clear idea of what you want and why. Right now it sounds like you're staggering around in the dark. Sometimes what you think you want is a bad idea. And not knowing what you want is no basis for a plan.

Just because you have some parts doesn't mean you have to use them, otherwise it's like banging a square peg in a round hole. at this point, I refer you back to my first point.

Have a concrete plan of what you want and why. Make a basic parts list. If you have some of them, keep them. Sell the rest and buy what you actually need.

Also, to help everyone here as well as yourself, post a couple of oics of what you have in mind.

I have an idea of what that might be, but I'm not commenting on a guess.

3. bgaro

bgaro

let me add another option here. if you want fenderless, those are probably worth as much as an a cab. your getting good advise, thick skin is a requirement around here. that being said change your avatar, it's hurting our eyes:D

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

MY FRIEND, bottom line its yours to do as you please.BUT,BUT,BUT,THERE ARE SOME VERY KNOWLEGBLE FOLKS on here. a lot of years experience. Listen to their advice very carefully.GOOD LUCK!!

5. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

Again, thanks for everyones replies. I'm sorry if i have offended some of you, thats the last thing i mean to do. The more i look at the 31 its not as bad as i thought, still needs some work though. Here are some pic's of the 40 frame and some pics of the damage on the 31. I just want to say sorry again if I'm irritating anyone, please bare with me, I'm green and really appreciate the help/advise.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

6. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

The A cab doesn't look too bad to me...you might need a door. Something are easier to work with than you think. Once you have the skin off the door you might be able to straighten out the frame, then put a new skin on.

I would at least try!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  7. Squablow

Squablow

That cowl does look rough. But luckily, I believe any closed-car cowl and windshield posts will work as a direct swap. And 4 door sedan cowls can be bought, nice and straight for $200 if you shop around. That would get the A cab square again. The doors would be a tough fix. Nice straight ones would be better, but you might be able to straighten the ones you have there. Wouldn't hurt to try, if you can't get them square again, nothing is lost.

If it was me, I'd sell the '40 cab and frame and buy myself a good straight closed car Model A cowl to fix the A cab. Then I'd shop around for doors. Maybe a pair of 4 door doors could be spliced together with your pickup doors to repair the hinge pockets and bent pillars and make a good pair out of four.

Your A pickup is a winner, and well worth the effort to fix. Plus, you're into it really cheap. I think you'll be really glad if you focus your efforts on that.

8. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

To get a idea on what I'm looking for, here are a couple pic's of what i had in mind/along these lines.

Attached Files:

9. George/Maine

George/Maine

I would keep the 40 with the 40 frame, looks like the center is already for any trans you want. It also looks good in the back, that were they rot.
    Sell the chevy and build the 40 Ford

10. Cool trucks.
    Not gonna happen with your A chassis how it sits now.
    You'll be starting from pieces to get there - the stance.
    32-34 ish or a 35-38 ish won't come from a 40 cab either.

Keep in mind that my comments are from a guy who likes to mix and match weird shit. This is a 100% mutt of cast off parts. 2 different makes, 3 different body styles, 3 different years maybe 10 different cars. But it's cool as hell to me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  11. Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. Uptown83

Uptown83

Please take the advice of all the people that posted

edit: I read page 2... I would try and hunt down another model a first

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

I sat in a 6 inch chopped 4 inch channeled model a truck once.

Once.

Rich

14. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

Hummm, well as far as the 31, can anyone help me out with what years and body type doors and cowls will fit/swap?? if i did use the 40 frame and cab, how would the 31 bed look on it? I'm sure its a dumb question to some of you.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'28 and '29 are one group. '30 and '31 are the other, with an all steel roof showing up at the end of the '31 model year, on the closed-cab pickup. The frame is the same '28-'31 with tiny differences. Technically, you could put a '28-'29 cab on it, or even a roadster pickup cab.

16. Squablow

Squablow

If you're going to look for a cowl, any 1930 closed car (coupe, sedan, pickup truck) cowl would work, or any '31 with the exception of the slant-windshield 31 4 door sedans (for a direct swap, at least.)

17. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

thanks gimpyshotrods and squablow

18. Now how cool would it be with a 31 slant windshield truck !
    Could even stretch the doors a little if you had the rear doors.

" Modified Murray " search up scooters ride

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Glad to see that you are still with us on this one! Gimpy and Squablow have got you going the right direction. When you really are trying to learn, there really are no dumb questions. Matter fact, sometimes around here the "dumbest" questions are those that aren't asked BEFORE taking apart workable vehicles. You will get a certain level of razzing when you are thinking outside of the box around these parts, but most of us are happy to tell you why your "outside the box" idea isn't a good idea.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick! Somebody do an artist rendering. I'll build it if it looks good!

21. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

For sure either get a different A cab or rebuild that one. I wouldn't mess with fixing that cowl. Get a good one so you have a solid starting point. The doors you are needing are 30-31 PU or 30-31 Tudor Sedan. Coupe and 4dr sedan are different.

22. I have zero photo shop skills but a pretty good eye and manage with printer scissors and tape.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/ford/ford.htm

Starting with a cheap ass slant window 4 dr donor.
    Is that a Unibody ? Ute maybe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  23. Then I grabbed a Vicky for cut and paste via scissors and tape ease.
    Slant windshield
    it's already chopped
    and the doors are streched

Expensive for true Vick parts but easy to hack, wack and tack them from 4 dr stuff.

Attached Files:

24. Has absolutely nothing to do with this Model A but I remembers seeing a unusual Model A truck in Pigeon Forge,Tenn probably 30 years ago.

The owner took the remnants of a 1932 Victoria,,the cowl and doors and a wrecked 1930 model A pickup.

He used the slanted shorter cowl and the longer doors from the Vicky,,chopped the top of the truck and ended up with a more roomy cab.

He also added a few inches to the frame..it was a great looking truck. HRP

25. That's what im thinking.
    It would be bad ass
    and overweight middle aged full sized men could fit comfortably in a chopped hotrod truck Lmao !!!

26. adam401

adam401

Not sure what your skill level is but id buy a door and repair that cab. Here in New England where we fix the most fucked up rotten tin you've ever seen I'd buy that cab in a heart beat and build a truck like no problem. I think once you roll up your sleeves and get into it you'll be fine. Now get off the computer and fix that shit

27. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

thanks guys. I think I'm gonna start on the 31. what do i have to lose ,right? thanks for everyones help. Keep the advise coming. thanks adam401.

28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I THINKETH YOU MEDAETH THE RIGHTEST CHOISEST. best of luck, keep us posted with updates.

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Thats a Deluxe Pick up that Ford made for General Electric. Stone stock as with all the other '31 pickups the box was the custom feature, had three bolts on the side that attached it to the cab. They made a larger version for the AA chassis and added a wrecker boom. Think there are factory photos of them over on the Ford Barn. Bob

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA