Register now to get rid of these ads!

What have you burnt welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Feb 5, 2012.

1. nummie

nummie

out four wheeling, track bar broke on ford IFS. was stick welding with an alternator just to get the truck out of there while wearing shorts. I was sitting down and since the shorts were baggy I managed to sunburn the left side of my sack. ow.

2. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

whaa that,s agood one

3. grainmaker

grainmaker

My nastiest would have to be the slag that came in my helmet behind my safety glasses and wedged between the nose piece and my face- got to dig that one out with a knife- it did heal pretty good, but doesnt tan and thats when its noticable

My funniest- insulated flannell shirt- not frayed or anything- but it had those little lint balls on it from a couple washings- lit a arc and POOF all the little lint balls lit up and it was over-
    Otherwise- mainly the same as everybody else- never have welded in anything less then work boots though, never in shorts- dont think I'll try it either.

One of worst I've seen- my dad was working on a lifted 4x4 reached up and got the stretchy metal wrist band of his watch locked between the pos and neg either of the battery or the solinoid (ford) not sure which. Branded that all the way around and burnt the imprint of the back of the watch in on top of his wrist. Needless to say he wears leather bands now!!

FYI quick tip- WD-40, put that on a fresh burn!!! Dont hurt (well not near as much) wont blister and heals faster- sounds crazy I know- but I've done it a few times and its worked for me.

4. Wire........

5. G'day, My dad has always been the welder of the family and has had some "good" fires. One time I was helping him under a 56 Chevy and he caught my hair on fire. Now this was in the 70's and I had some big hair. Burned one side down to stinky stubble.

The worst fire happened a couple of years ago after he developed a rare neuroligcal disorder. He has basically lost the feeling in his legs and feet. I walked into the shop and his shoe was on fire and he didn't know it. He ended up with a dime sized crater in the top of his foot. The worst part was explaining to my mom why he was welding with nikes on instead of his boots.

My worst was welding fan cages out of .125 inch steel round stock. Got the molten end through my chest front to back. As I was now attached to a huge roll of this round stock we had to use a bolt cutter to cut the stock and pull it back out the front. Was a clean through and through fully cauterized with no bleeding. Blistered like crazy though. However, when I got back to the dorm things took a turn for the better. The little red haired girl across the hall raided the ice machine and iced my poor chest.

ms

6. Lots of brain cells...

7. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

[​IMG]

8. Moongown

Moongown

Well being a female left handed welder ive had my fair share of experiences but my worst would be when molten sparks find their way down your shirt and man i tell you what there isnt anything else in the world thatll make you move any faster!

9. Dog...but only once. Dogs learn fast!
    And I still have a dark spot on my foot from welding 2years ago!

10. Haha wanna bet ?
    Btw nice bump on this old thread and welcome.

Classic - three stooges in one guy.

Here's how I do it !!!
    Almost.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEOzG_1qf8

11. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Oo, wow, he knows how to make sparks.
    He's special.

12. I melted the dog bed once. Smells awful.....

13. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Years ago, we decided to add a 3 car garage to our house. I was in the process of fabricating a permanent support post for the overhead center beam, to replace the temporary wooden one. After welding, and grinding, I realized that the sparks from my grinder were hitting the newly installed double French doors. Yep...the glass panes in those doors were riddled with little steel particles that had melted/imbedded themselves into the glass. I'm much more careful now.:eek:

14. my buddy. I had just finished gas welding a new floor pan in his 39 Ford. when he got up he put his hand on the newly welded rocker, smelled like hamburgers on the bbq.

15. belair

belair

Holy cow! That even beats Bass.

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I build Rose Parade floats as one of my hobbies. They're largely "pencil" steel (3/8" & under rod, for the ininatiate among you ;)), and thousands of welds per float. Of course I have the expected burns and small fires of someone in a hurry and less than careful at times. :rolleyes:

However, my most memorable incident wasn't a burn exactly. A couple years ago I was buzz-boxing supports inside a pencil structure. Tired from the day's welding I rested my head along side a piece of pencil while considering my next support piece, when the handle slid from its perch. I grabbed for it, but only caught the tip of the rod in my palm.

When I came to, a few seconds later, I also came to the conclusion that elctro-shock therapy wasn't something I'd be looking into any time soon. I also religiously keep my head from touching anything at all while welding these days. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a buddy of mine lit the car cover on fire on his 55 Chevy ruining his paint while welding on his other car. it was 2 tone pearl white and black cherry. he had this paint job since the 80's and it still looked good. it was a complete car that had been finished forever. now it is all torn down and hasn't been out of the garage in years.

18. jkeesey

jkeesey

Luckily I haven't had anything as bad as some of you guys, just a few pairs of pants and a Chuck Taylor or two. My Uncle had weld slag run into his ear and melted everything inside.

19. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Many years ago when I just started in the body/paint trade I had finished welding on a rear taillight panel/quarter panel on a Chevy Citiation. I thought I was all done welding so I blew on some spary bomb undercoating on the inside of the quarter before sending it over to the painter. Looking over the job I noticied I missed a few plug welds so I grabbed the welder and welded them up.

My big mistake was getting an ignition source close to the undercoating fumes. A very large BOOM and a real quick flame shot out of the trunk scaring the crap out of me.

Not a true "what did I burn story" but still related.

Lesson of the day is never weld next to freshly sprayed petroleum based undercoating.

20. About ever appendage imaginable, and a couple of places that don't stick or hang out.

Uh, am I supposed to leave a list? Well lets do this, in the later '70s to earlier '80s I was *certified (and recertified several times) 80/18 Verticle up and overhead. Pretty much leaves about every and any place that could get burned to be burned.

*Uh this is not to be confused with certifiable.

21. chubbie

chubbie

OK you win, i think you said that sparks went in the bra....I'v burnt near every thing,bnot that!!!

22. You've bever burned your bra?, I have

23. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

I was welding collectors on a supercharged escalade over head on a lift and was standing with my legs apart. A piece of slag dropped through two layers of uniform pants and down a high top boot. Couldn't get the boot off since it was laced all the way up, ended up with two holes in my foot which I had to scrub until bleeding three times a day to make sure it healed from the inside out to prevent permanent damage. Cool part was you could stick your finger in the hole on my ankle and when you moved my toes would wiggle it was so deep. Needless to say I haven't worn high tops since, I will never be trapped like that again in my life!!

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Being a car restorer by trade , I've had my fair share of chances to burn myself ... and I never seem to miss a chance to do something , lol !! The worst times to GET a burn it seems , is when you're lying on your back & welding above your head - weld splatter always seems to land on you , or UNDER you . That sucks ! You've gotta arch your back to get away from the blob of molten goodness , as it's burning your creeper . Just as you try to flatten back out , OUCH , more burns into your back ! Weld blobs jumping around in your ears always sucks the big one , no doubt , as are sparks rolling into your boot & on your scalp . I've figured out that nowhere is a good place to get burned :) .

On a side note , I was stick welding on a crappy old box truck (it was a tree trimmer's chip truck - long story , friend of the shop) - it was the middle of winter , I'm welding away & I see a flash inside of my helmet ... low & behold , my insulated flannel shirt was on fire ! That made me jump , ha ha ! That'll teach me to weld in a nice wark jacket instead of a welding jacket .

25. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Being crammed inside a shovel track frame air arcing and having molten bits of slag roll down the ol ass crack and end up in some terrible terrible places. Still haunts me.

26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A tree. That's right a tree. A small tree but a tree non-the-less.

One really dry Summer stretch a year or so ago I was adding an additional roll bar loop just inside the cockpit of the Model "A" (basically above the dash). I already had the dash in it and didn't want to disassemble the whole thing. I duct taped an old denim jacket over it and started welding. I did not expect it to, but the stupid jacket must have caught a spark just right somewhere and it caught on fire. By the time I noticed it, it was burning good and still taped to the dash.

I reached up with my welding gloves and ripped it out of the car. It sailed across the shop, now a full blown denim ball of fire and slid right under my Dad's 27 roadster pickup. I flew over there and pulled it out right quick and tossed it on the floor and started trying to stomp it out.

I know, I know, I am getting to the tree. I don't know if that thing had been soaked in fuel or what but it would not go out and I wanted it out of the garage! I kick it out the door onto the driveway. It was really windy that day, in fact the whole County was on a no burn notice because of the wind and extreme dry conditions. Well you guessed it. It flew out the door and big gust of wind blew right off the driveway and right on to a fairly young but extremely dry Bradford Pear. It went up like a tikki torch!

My Dad heard all the commotion and came out to see what was going on. There I was with a water hose still wearing my welding helmet trying to put a burning tree out. He said what it the world are you doing and with out missing a beat I replied...welding!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  27. luke13

luke13

it takes an awful long time to convince the missus that those festering blister's in your crotch area are actually from welding sparks.

28. trollst

trollst

I been welding a long time, burned myself on hot metal a few times, but this year alone I've had three, yes....three flashes, one real bad. Two pretty bad, but one I couldn't blink, felt like my eyes grew two sizes and didn't fit their sockets, hurt all friggin nite, next day, took two days to heal. I've modified my new helmet, won't happen again. In twenty years I never had this happen, and won't again.

29. One time in the shop by myself, had just a quick stickweld underneath my '60 ford, which was jacked up on a bumper jack, I climbed under with the stinger and put my hood down and as I did, I hit the rod on the gas tank. Immediately making a rod sized hole in the tank, which caught on fire. I panicked but I knew I couldn't just slide out because the jack was in the way and I was afraid I would knock the car off the jack and on to me. I thought for a split second and decided the only shot I've got was to blow on the flame to put it out. I did and it went out but the gas was coming out in a stream, so I put my finger over the hole and laid there until my help arrived an hour and a half later and laughed his ass off while saving me.