Register now to get rid of these ads!

older 283 - starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerd, Jan 23, 2014.

1. jokerd

jokerd
    from canada

Hello everybody,
    I am presently restoring a impala 1967 convertible. The engine was beyond repair so I had to find a new block. I bought a no-oversize 1958 chevrolet 283. I installed my powerglide on it with no problem. Being the beginer that I am I lowered this in my car without checking if the starter fitted correctly.
    My flexplate is a 153 teeth plate, the starter bolts from my 1967 are straight (parallel to the block's edge) but would not fit in because the pitch between holes is not the same on the 1958 block !:(
    So I found a offset hole starter and installed it...now the starter does not engage on the flexplate. So now I know that straight holes are for 153 teeth plate and offset for 168.

My questions for the experts: 1- is it normal that the pitch between the holes (the ones parallel to the block's edge) in my block is not the same as my starter?
    2- Is there a starter out there that would fit the pitch on my engine block and my 153 teeth flexplate?

Thank you for your time.

JF

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Some of the small "high-torque" after market starters are drilled for either size ring gear... I've seen them for under a $100 ...not traditional ...:)
    dave

3. I am probably wrong but I don't recall '58 Chevy having holes in the block for the starter.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

All 283 blocks had block mount holes for starter. Reason: Turboglide. It used a block mounted starter, as does the aluminum PG, TH350, ETC. And 1957 coincidentally was the first year of 283s and Turboglide.

5. bgaro

bgaro

yeah, i'm thinking of it bolting to the bell too.

6. Depends on which Trans it had

7. jokerd

jokerd
    from canada

Yes it is center to center distance of the two holes parallel to the edge of the block. For some reason the distance is off about 3/8 of an inch.

8. So what's is measure?

A lot can happen to a block since 1958.
    Any sign of a repair ?

It would suck and worst case scenario you could have the 168 swapped out to match the starter that bolts up done in a few hours. Like from the time you posted this to now you'd be 1/2 done.

9. Harry P Hunter

Harry P Hunter
    from Tn.

That 3/8 is the difference between the 283/327/350 starter and the 348 or 409 one!
    Do you know its from a 283 for sure?

Harry

10. CJS

CJS

If I remember correctly on the early 283 blocks, you need to use the starter that has a short outer bolt and long inside bolt. They should be straight across from each other. You will need to drill and tap a new inner hole and use a thick, up to 3/8th, shim or the starter will stay engaged. This is not hard to do.

CJS

11. X2 on the Turboglide using a bolt to the block starter. If you do go with a 168 tooth flywheel, just get a turboglide starter or a #3689 starter (industry interchange number) that has a three bolt hole snout. That particular starter number was also used on many stick shift big blocks and small block Corvettes so it isn't that hard to find.