Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 y block no oil to rockers

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by mr12david21, Jan 23, 2014.

1. mr12david21

mr12david21
    from idaho

im new to the form and new to the y block so im looking for any help i can get. i have searched this form and a couple others and just cant find what im looking for, so here goes.

i picked up a 64 ford pick up with a 292 y block and a 4speed. before going to look at the truck i was told that it had a rod knocking, but as soon as i heard it run i knew that it was the valves. i checked the lash on all the valves and set the lash at .19 and this fixed the knocking problem. while i had the covers off i realized that there was no oil. i did a little research and found that the y block is notorious for oiing problems. my questions are...

1.how do i check to see if my rocker shafts are on the right way? also if someone could explain how that assembly works. i dont understand how the oil is delivered to the rockers.

2. i found little pieces of metal by where the valve springs sit. what is that metal from? i read somewhere that this is a sighn that the motor was being ran with no oil getting to the top of the motor.

3. the rocker arms and shaft were heavily clogged with sledged up oil, i cleaned them a little bit and was wondering if its worth giving hem a deep clean or should just get a new set.

** im only looking to get a running motor. nothing special i just wanna be able to cruise it around once in a while**

2. oldspwr

oldspwr

3. mr12david21

mr12david21
    from idaho

thanks i liked that. helped a bit

4. daily_driver

daily_driver

Thats a good thread with a lot of good info. I would start by dissembling your rocker shafts and cleaning them up. I would also check your rockers and see if any of them are worn. If they are, that may be the metal you are seeing. While the rockers are off, try either cranking the motor over or turnin it by hand to see if any oil is coming out of the heads. It may be blocked, especially if the oil was sludgy. I have heard of people using air nozzles to force them open. Worst case scenario is the cam bearing has spun, which is a common problem.

Couple of other things to check are to see if you have any oil coming up on either head or any of the other ports. If it is coming up on one side and not the other on the same port... or if it is coming up on every port but one. Good luck. I've driven a Yblock almost every day for over 5 years. Great motors that will stand up to a lot of abuse. -dd

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!