Register now to get rid of these ads!

30's Ford door handle dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Idahorocks, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Idahorocks

Idahorocks
    from Spring, TX

I've decided to replace the door handles on my 34 Plymouth rather than do shaved doors. Can someone give me the dimensions for the shaft size and length for the reproduction 30's Ford handles? I would like to use those if they fit. The 34 Plymouth shafts are 1 3/4" long and 5/16" square.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389488263.664512.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. upspirate

upspirate

I don't have ready access to my 32 handles right now,but I THINK they are 1/4" , as far as the length, I've had to trim the shaft on all my handles I've ever replaced.

I think they supply them long,or else I used them for non stock applications

3. Idahorocks

Idahorocks
    from Spring, TX

I found some at Speedway and the specs say the shafts are 5/16". It looks like I will need to cut the shafts to the proper length. It looks like the door handles on Fords mount just below the belt line in the relatively flat sheet metal while the Plymouth's mount on the belt line. I wonder if there is any significant difference in the curvature of the surface where the handle mounts.

4. upspirate

upspirate

You might be able to use the trim plates from your Plymouth on the Ford handles to fit the door curvature

5. Idahorocks

Idahorocks
    from Spring, TX

Got a set of 33/34 door handles from Speedway today. I took my time a drilled out the filled holes and mounted them. I still need to secure them with screws. They fit fine. There is a little gap on the top and bottom that will be cleaned up when I tighten the handle against the rubber pads. I'm really happy with how they look and I'm glad I don't have to monkey with door poppers. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390434949.916795.jpg

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

32 ford closed car (5w and sedan) are 5/16 shaft, and 1 1/2 long shaft. After market is same size shaft and way longer so you can cut to desired length. The 3w ford mounts flat on the sheet metal, and the 5w-sedan are on the belt line.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

All new reproduction 32-38 Passenger and 32-47 Pickup Ford door handles have 5/16" shafts and are longer than stock applications to allow them to be shortened to correct Ford lengths AND be used as universals by Plymouth/Dodge/Studebaker/Essex folks.
    Since you have the handle escutcheon running fore and aft rather than up/down as Fords the flat escutcheon handle (32 3W and 33-34 passenger) may be the right ones to use.

You'll find Ford handles on many non-Fords as most used the 5/16" shaft and same spacing for escutcheon screws. Flat or curved escutcheons are the determining factors for which ones can be used.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

I have 32 ford on mine,just had to shorten the square shaft a bit,they work fine.Other than the lines on original handles the fords even have a nice curve to the handle like the originals.

9. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

I have a 31 coupe and a 30 sedan and they both mount on the belt line.

10. upspirate

upspirate

Glad it worked out....I always preferred the handle look instead of shaved on the early cars

11. upspirate

upspirate

BTW, I used the locking ones on my truck....can be removed with a screwdriver to get in,but it would slow somebody down a little

12. Trust me, if someone really wants in your car, all you can do is slow them down.