Register now to get rid of these ads!

How rare? 54 Studebaker 2 door wagon.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Newbomb Turk, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Johnod -
    Thanks.
    And sorta. The 2dr. wagons in 54 and 55 were "Conestogas".
    The wagons from 59 to 61 (or 62) were "just" 2dr. wagons on the Lark body style. The 56 thru 58 I believe were also just 2dr. wagons also built off what became the Lark body, though not a true Lark...yet.

Mo -
    They also made other cheaper wagons and wheel barrows also.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I think Stude wagons are very cool.
    On the pictured here,maybe a little of this would help.

Attached Files:

3. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

I have one like in the pictures above. PARTS FOR SALE OR TRADE. No dash or upper lower tailgate bouth doors gone. Pretty much everything else is there. I need upper tailgate and glass for 57-58. thanks jim

4. hmm... that car needs chip foose!

5. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Saw this one at the Round Up in 04'.

Attached Files:

Six Ball likes this.
  6. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one was at our show in October .....

[​IMG]

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I'm working on a second 54 Conestoga.
    When complete, it will be my daily driver.

Stude powered (for now), GM T-200-4R, rebuilt (narrowed) Dana 44, disc brakes all around, new dash, new wiring, Weld-Draglite wheels, sway bars (frt & rr), bucket seats (older style), ooold...mostly original paint...

Mike

P.s. - Hope to modify the front of the hood and top at a later date.

8. sololobo

sololobo

That beautiful yello/white wagon is a shame. These are a super cool body style. Best o luck with your project. ~sololobo~

9. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

If you want to start splitting hairs, the first '54 on the first post of this thread and the black one above (that one is mine) are "Regal" Conestoga Commanders and there were less than 2,000 made (1,912 if memory serves correctly).

I'm actually glad to see so many out there. I've only seen 4 in person, including mine.

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Here is another shot of Drgnwgn's "Trailer Queen" in New Mexico taken on one of it's several round trips between Texas and Nevada. Being built on the sedan chassis means the Conestogas are 4" shorter from the firewall to the radiator than the coupes and no hood hump like the Hawks. This makes putting a supercharged Stude V8 under the hood a tight squeeze. [​IMG]

What a great thread! How did we miss this for so long? Good to se so many.

11. This just screams 'custom'. The front is perfect as-is, do something with the taillights ('57 Chrysler-ish maybe) and this thing would be cool....

12. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Thanks, Pop. Like you said, a tight squeeze...but not impossible!

Attached Files:

Six Ball likes this.
  13. Lets see those thrifty Scotsmans..

14. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

I could tell you did something to the rear end...those deep wheels fit too well and you don't have the tapered shaft sticking out! We used Chrysler van wheels on mine to get a decent sized tire inside the wheel well. Eventually ended up swapping it out for a narrowed 9" and 4-link.

15. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Seeing that yellow derelict reminded me of a couple old shots I took back in '88 - this two-tone green '57 Parkview V-8 was behind a fence on Walnut Street in Pasadena, along with a '56 Power Hawk and an early Lark:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shot the second one pointing the camera over a wall. The license plate frame reads Bob Wyatt/Tujunga; only info I found was it had been a Kaiser-Willys dealer in 1954. Wonder what happened to it?

16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I don't see where the above, original note came from...but the rear end in the blue 54 on page one (post 35 I think)...has a Winters, Quick Change rear axle in it. It's hung on early Chevy truck arms with a wishbone to center the axle under the car.
    A track bar would have been easier...but with the tire size, most any side to side movement puts the tires against the inner fender wells.. Like going in and out of some driveways..!

Mike

Six Ball likes this.
  17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I just love the Lark style wagons, BUT if the bottom of the driver and passenger door windows was in line with the rear windows, that'd be one sexy beast. It would remove what I'm sure is considered a styling cue of Stude wagons, but we're not afraid of a few mods here and there, are we?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  18. nice 2 door wagon. Unique, love it.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The biggest problem in working with a Conestoga is space. There is no extra room for anything. Simple things like dual exhaust and wider tires and rims are not simple changes.

20. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Six Ball -

Got 9" wide "wheels" in the back of my blue car shown above (page 2) and 8" wide wheels under my other 54 wagon... That's not wide enough ?
    Have 7" wide wheels in the front of both.

Try putting wide wheels under a stock fenderwell of a 65-67 Chevy II..!

Mike

P.s. - But yea, understand. It took some work to do both cars that way...

21. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, while modifications may be a little more challenging, space in the wheel wells is not. This one has 7-1/2" wheels all around with no modification to the wells.

Would like to get back on this one, one of these days, one of these days . . .

Attached Files:

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yeah, Sorry I guess I was wrong. Don't know what I was thinkin'.

23. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

NMCarNut -

Is that a Corvette front suspension I see under your wagon ?
    I put one (C4) under my 60, Stude 2dr wagon. Like yours...not complete yet. It's now my retirement project.

Six Ball -

No problem. In the rear, they really do have a lot of room. My wagon fenderwell measures 13-1/2" at the widest point and 13" at the narrowest. At least where a 29" tire would be.
    The front...not so much. But still, 7 (stock) is still pretty wide for an old car.
    As I noted to NMCarNut, I put the Vette front suspension under a 60 Lark wagon. I can now put the Vette 9" wheel under the front of my Lark wagon.
    So most any wheel with the right offset will fit now.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  24. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike VV -

Yup, C4 front and rear. And I must have been asleep when I posted because my wheels are also 9" with 275/40 rubber all around. While not a lot of clearance they fit just fine. Hope you are getting around to yours faster than me.

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Because of where we live we had different issues. One was having a good ride height when we got to the pavement 2 miles away. We used air bags to raise it up to clear the rock and ruts. The tanks are in the rear wheel well and the compressor and valves are under the rear seat. It now has a narrowed 9" and T5 but started with all Stude running gear. Being a wagon with no trunk for tools and extra parts space is dear. You are not likely to find many Stude parts on the shelves so certain things need to be carried along. It all takes room. Our needs are a bit different I guess.
    [​IMG]

26. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

The wheel wells are plenty wide, but the stock Dana 44's are too wide. Not sure why Studebaker did that. That's why we used Chrysler van wheels...the center is way out on the outside of the wheel. Like MikeVV, any little inconsistency in the road (entering/exiting driveway, creek crossings, ect.) would cause the tire to rub the inside of the wheel well. Ended up with L78's in the rear and G78's in the front. The front tires rub too if you turn too sharply...you get used to it thought and intuitively know when to stop turning.

No way around the exhaust though...that's a bitch not matter what you do.

Attached Files:

27. 49Dodgeboy

49Dodgeboy

I've got a 54 Plymouth 2-door wagon but that Stude is cool, very nice starter for sure

28. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Mine rub because the fender is "full" of tire. On the blue car pictured with the 9" wheel.
    This car has a coil over shock setup (the Quick Change and much narrowed from stock)...so I have the "full" fender well opening to use, no leaf spring in the way.

The car I'm working on now, as noted, I had the axle shortened 4" (2" per side) so I could easilly fit the 8" wheel and still be able to get it on and off the car without removing the shock..! This one has the stock leaf spring in place.
    As drgnwgn says, with the stock axle so long, the wheels look odd with so much offset, shortening the axle helps fix that look greatly.

Mike

P.s. - yea, the early Plymouth, 2dr wagons look good too.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Six Ball likes this.