Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects shock location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HILLBILLY HOT RODS, Jan 23, 2014.

1. HILLBILLY HOT RODS

HILLBILLY HOT RODS

I hope I'm posting this in the rite area if not please let me know where to post.

I have a 39 Desoto coupe with a dropped tube axle with dual parallel leave springs I have the axle on top of the leaves and there isn't much room for upward travel so I'm going to move the axle to the bottom of the springs to have more room and lift the car some.

I have the axle at 10 degrees leaning towards the back of the car this is what I have put them at in the past on some drag cars will this be ok for the street or is it to much.

Also I have the shackle's in the front is this ok or should they be to the rear and I would need to know where the best place to put the shocks and angle that they would work best.

I have 2 options for the steering what would be better use on the street
    -cross steer or
    -traditional steer

Heres a pic of the way it is now

Attached Files:

2. stimpy

stimpy

shackles should be in the rear , and the caster seams a little too much for the street , as for the shocks you can angle them to the back along side the fame rails to get clearance , but remember the more angle from verticle the less dampening or the softer the effect will be .. also you can look into the old friction style dampners as they are a nice compact unit

3. studedudeus

studedudeus

FWIW, Shackles on my Studebaker truck are up front (factory). Shocks are mounted in front of axle, between frame rails and angle about 30* from vertical.

10* caster is a bit much, but will work. Read about pushing backward in other thread.

Good luck.
    Phil