Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Ford Cab chop on 31 model a frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang rob, Jan 22, 2014.

1. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

Hi everyone.
    I have a 40 ford cab that I'm planning to chop. I'm looking to chop 4" off, while cutting around the rear window to retain stock size. Is 4" too much/little. I know it's all personal preference but is there a point where it gets too difficult? This is my first chop. I'm handy with tools and metal work I'm in the construction business. I have a 1931 model a closed cab pickup with 9" rear, boxed frame, straight axel 2" drop in front, and a SBC. However this was a complete hot rod show truck in the 80's it was rolled onto its top shortly after being finished. Only damage was to the cab itself. That's why I have this 40 ford cab to chop and swap for the 31 cab. I also have a 460 BBF I plan on swapping out. I know dimensions are difference with the 2 different cabs but plan on using the 31 frame and bed with the 40 cab. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

2. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

3. ^^^X2!!!!! Fix what you have don't butcher that pretty little truck with a different cab!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

and that is nooooo...

5. BJR

BJR

Would you use the 40 hood and front fenders also? That would look like ass with the 31 fenders and the 40 cab. Wouldn't it be easier and turn out better to fix and chop the 31 cab?

6. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Put down the drugs...Step back and READ what you are planning to do. FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!!! Fix the model A cab and see a shrink about the nightmares you are having.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to believe that you come under the heading of "those who don't have a clue" when you contemplate something like that.

Do as the others pointedly suggested and find another cab to replace the cab on the A as they aren't that hard to find or sell the poor thing to someone who will treat it right. Making a ratrod mess out of what was and can be a nice truck doesn't cut it.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Can it be done ? Sure. Should it be done ? NO. It is going to end up looking like and abortion. Model A bodies are not all that hard to find, get one and do it the right way.

I normally don't try to flame anyone, but in this case you would be making a huge mistake. If you aren't pulling our legs, please don't even consider this at all.

Don

9. Squablow

Squablow

The Model A cab looks very fixable to me. Worst case scenario it could be made into an RPU cab with an open car windshield frame.

Either way, take the advice of the others here and don't swap the cab for the '40 cab. Sell the '40 cab as-is and spend the money repairing the A cab. If you're not up to the task, then sell the whole truck to someone who is. Looks like a neat old rod.

Also, what motor is in the truck now? 460's are a 70's era engine, if there's something cooler in it now, I'd leave it.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you really want to run the 40 cab why not get a frame that comes closer to matching the cab and run it. Here is a little Chevy V windshield truck that is about a 49 and is chopped and probably on the same line as what you are thinking.
    [​IMG] Notice that it looks "right" on the frame it is sitting on and not cobbled onto a frame it doesn't belong on.

I was hunting for a photo I have of a local Ford bobber truck that is right on the money as far as little 35/41 Ford bobber trucks go but I'll have to dig some more for it as it's past this old fart's bedtime.

11. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Save the A cab! (if you can) :)

12. metalman

metalman

You have 2 potentionally sweet trucks there so do one or the other. Sell the 40 and fix the A or sell the A and get the parts to complete and build the 40.
    This is NOT the time to apply the old rodders rule of "using what you got".
    FWIW I think 40 Ford PUs are one of the best looking there is and personally I think there should be a law against building "bobber" trucks out of them!

13. What are you think'n :eek::eek::(:(:(
    Your going to ruin 2 trucks, but there yours so hack away

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The "A" isn't hurt hard enough to worry about! Just fix it and call it a deal. Just a personal thing, but chopping a '40 cab ruins it in my opinion, and they are getting harder to find by the day. sell the '40 to finance the "A"....

16. adam401

adam401

Yeah sounds like an awesome idea. You should definitely do it. Don't look back. I think your really onto something.

But seriously don't. You'll end up with an abortion devoid of any value. Fix the a cab or swap for another a cab. Done. That's the only good options that exist in the universe.

17. At first look and explanation - fixing the A cab or replacing it will be easier and better project. You could drop any A body right onto that, truck, roadster, coupe, sedan.

You could drop the 40 cab onto any ladder type frame similar to the A chassis you have now. Here's the problem- it will sit up way way way too high. 4x4 mud truck high. You'll
    Have to either z and sweep the frame or channel the crap out of the 40 cab so far there will be no room inside and a 6" tall grille. Neither one of those will be getting you any closer or cheaper or using what you have. That is the point here right? salvage and using what you have right? Everything needs changed to pull this off so what's the point if it destroys the original intention.

If you want a 40 truck ( beautiful btw) find a 35-40 frame or rolling chassis car and truck are the same and build a 40 truck. They are cheap too. You can build it off of a 33/34 too if you wanted an exposed prettier frame and to be different. They are very similar.

18. 81deeds

81deeds

Continue your idea.....everyone on here has an opinion....none are wrong! Including yours.....im in middle of doin same thing.....(but different) lol.....thats what makes your project unique....if everyone did what everyone else said....dam!!! That would suk!!

19. 81deeds

81deeds

Butttt!
    Do think if you have a perfect cab.....cutting it up......ummmmmmmm.,..mayb you can sell sn find a better contestent to chop....
    It is harder to find good ones....so think many times... .cut once...
    just saying

20. Falls under the heading-
    "Just because you can..doesn't mean you should"

21. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Is just a guy from yellow bullet trying to get us goin? Seriously, that is two nice trucks you have there, don't wreck them both by putting that cab on the A frame. Sell one and do the other. Hell, sell both and buy a later ford cab to build a bobber out of so that nice tin isn't ruined for someone in the future...

22. Here's the most intriguing thing about this project to me.
    Most model A cabs you'll find will have completely rotted bottoms and decent upper and roofs, the more rotted the bottom is the cheaper it will be. You need a roof and a chop. It's a cheap match made in heaven to fix the A cab. Also enough of a project to keep you interested and use or hone your skills. You'll definitely come out on the right side money wise considering what you are into for at this point and what you'll be able to score a roof for.

23. I work hard at keeping my opinion to myself, and no matter what I think of someone's work, I try and focus on the work and effort they have put forward. That being said, I have to say I think that is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. I think even with the highest level of workmanship the end result would be awful. Please don't do it.

24. Bart78

Bart78

There are plenty of 35-40 frames out there to build your 40 pickup. Find some crapped out four door. That way you have a lot of parts to use. Or find another model a cab or a AA cab. To fix the model a.

25. countspanko

countspanko

im thinking roadster pikup

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Remember: If you gold plate a pigs ear, you still have a pigs ear.

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I sort of had the thoughts that this was a prank post, it is so far out of being reasonable that it seems like someone is just trying to get a rise out of us. But then the other side of me says that he really is considering such a project.............I hope it was just a joke.

Don

28. bgaro

bgaro

OK, now that we have that all figure out for you. how's the metal work on that A cab going?

29. metalman

metalman

If you go back and look at the pictures the 40 looks like it has a frame, least it did will on the trailer.
    Guess we scared the op away.

30. mustang rob

mustang rob
    from buena park

I want to thank everyones replies. Even if i don't agree with some of you it is what it is and still appreciate the advise. i haven't started the chop yet. I wanted some input form all of you out there before i started. To me the 31 cab is beyond repairing. The rear and roof of the cab are good with no rust. its the cowl, door hinge area, and both window pillars bent and crushed. The driver side door opened up while the 31 rolled over and bent/torn/ripped the crap out of the cab. The 31 needs both doors and major repairs if fixable. The bed, full fenders, frame and drive train are all in great working condition. If i did somehow fix the 31 cab, i still need a pair of doors which i have found for $800-$1,200. I do have the original 40 frame that needs some cracks repaired but not horrible. i love the look of both cabs but still can't decide. The 31 came with a SBC but my plans were to drop in a 460BBF i have left over from my 64 thunderbolt clone i sold. MY plan is to build a fenderless closed cab pickup. i have options just not sure what way to go, i don't mind the work but it sounds like id be opening a can of worms and breaking the law if i proceed to chop the 40. Im only into this project for under $2,000 for the 31 ad 40

*-sell the 40 cab and 40 frame. Find a 31 cab?
    *-chop the 40 and swap everything onto the 40 frame?
    *-sell it all?
    any ideas?????
    thanks again