Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects today's dig out

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by petritl, Jan 20, 2014.

1. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I spent this afternoon helping a friend bringing this speedster out into the sun.
    I don't know how many years this has sat but the engine is stuck.

The plan is to get this running and driving and take it to the Newport Hill this fall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That is a cool piece,have you guys used any lubricants to try and free up the engine? HRP

3. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

That's a great looking car for sitting a long time. Nice job helping get another on the road.

Cliff Ramsdell

4. It's a driver!

5. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

The previous owner said he freed the engine up a few years ago with shop air in the spark plug hole but it is pretty stuck this time. The head was removed and Marvel mystery oil has been sitting on the pistons for the last couple of months.

6. big M

big M

Nice!

Hope you have success freeing the engine.

---John

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What did he use to clean the dust off?

Cool looking ride.

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

I got that.

Looks like some semi-spooky fun.

9. very clean and very awesome. I bet it feels very fast!

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Nice lawn mower seats! :p

11. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Not lawn mower, bar stools, I believe. Neat little car. Jack

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Since its not a mechanical problem. I would suggest you get a breaker bar and attach it to the crank. Lift the vehicle up slightly and apply the weight (slightly) to the breaker bar. Check it ever so often to see if the engine rotated to apply more weight. Can't beat gravity. Nice and slow going...

13. dechrome

dechrome

Looking forward to seeing you and your car at Newport. Say hello to Paul on the Tech Com.
    deChrome

14. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

That's a cool looking car please forgive me but im young and just getting into the real old stuff (pre 64) is that a car that was made in the factory or is that something someone made in there garage a long time ago ? I would guess it was made in a garage do to the bar stool but you never know
    thanks for sharing i've learned something today

15. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

It's not a factory model... a garage conversion, I'm guessing done in the early 70s

16. silverdome

silverdome

The engine being stuck may not be the pistons stuck to the bore but the camshaft or lifters frozen up. Probably would be best to squirt them down with some oil too.

17. George

George

Yeah, bought a stuck Hemi, the cam was stuck solid!

18. jkeesey

jkeesey

Looking at the pedals it looks like its still running the original T engine and trans. Is it all stock?

19. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like fun! My '26 T had bar stool tops for seats in it too when I got it!

Couldn't find you at Jefferson this year. All of those bicycle parts went to good use, we brought pics, but didn't see you there.

20. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

Thanks for the info kinda what I though
    But agen very cool car

21. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I was there on Friday only...I'll be back this spring in the same spot; please bring the pictures :)

22. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Good point; I'll stuck soaking the parts down, no movement yet.

The engine has been sitting with ATF on the piston for days, a floor jack was placed under the engaged crankshaft and allowed to sit with the car weight on it, the only thing that did was break two ears off the crank:(

23. jkeesey

jkeesey

^That's not good. Some of those pieces aren't remanufactured.

24. I like to use diesel! Maybe give that a shot! It's worked for me a number of times. It's a bit thinner and not super flammable

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

i wouldent try to turn it from the crank id put it in gear and rock it a little every other day or so that has worked for me in the past just keep soaking it and be patient maybe a couple light taps on the tops of the pistons with a peice of wood not hard enough to snap a ring tho.

26. jkeesey

jkeesey

Pull the cover over the starter drive and make sure it is not stuck engaged.

27. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

The engine freed up yesterday, it was pretty stuck but when rocking the engine I could feel cylinders 2, 3, and 4 move just a little bit but 1 was was solid.

The pistons in the engine are steel, I took an old freeze plug and placed a washer inside it then applied a mild pressure with a pneumatic hammer while the car was rocked.. After a couple of seconds the piston began to move.

I was surprised to find the bores to be in good condition, there's not even a ridge at the top of the cylinders.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't give up hope. I had a Chevy stuck so bad that a 4 foot long 2X4 was used to break it loose. I put about 25K on the clock before I sold it. I was sure it was toast but it ran fine after it was finally broken loose. Don't assume the worst. I was planning on a replacement engine but it turned out it was just fine.

29. You can't put a breaker on the end of a "T" crankshaft. You can do the same thing by putting a jack under the starting crank