Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help with 3 on tree to a th350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Buick, Jan 22, 2014.

1. 56 Buick

56 Buick

I have a 1962 impala and I want to change it from a 3 on tree an auto on the column. I have an Original column shift, a fresh short tail th350, torque convertor, and a flex plate. Can anyone em tell me what else I need, where I can find, and or directions on how to do the job. I'm a newbie!
    The reason for the swap is I have suffer from seizures and a newly found brain tumor. It would be safer to be an auto. I'm located in Louisville Ky, please help :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

detent cable and bracket to mount it on the carb. Transmission cooler and metal lines to connect it to the transmission. Driveshaft yoke with fine splines to fit the trans. I think you'll need to get the driveshaft shortened too, but you kinda want to get the transmission installed first to measure it. Flexplate bolts (they're shorter). Converter bolts (they're special bolts). Transmission mount. Shift linkage...I think you can buy it aftermarket. Dipstick and tube. Probably a few things I forgot.

3. squirrel

squirrel

oh...starter....if yours mounts to the bellhousing, you'll need to get one that mounts to the block.

Also I'm assuming you have a v8 engine, not the 235 six.

4. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will need all the parts Squirrel mentioned, but are you asking how to connect your 3 speed column shifter to the 350 so you can continue to use the original colunm or do you plan to install a newer column or a floor shifter?

5. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like he got a "new" original column for an automatic.

6. 56 Buick

56 Buick

Thanks guys, I have a 283 in it and yes I have a new column. It's new to me, original to the year. Is there a place online I could maybe find directions or a how to? I'm a car newbie, I just love the art in motion of an old car. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390494896.593145.jpg

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Suggest you get a copy of the Factory Shop Manual.......lots of pics and details on assembly, setting up linkages, adjustments, etc. Available from many sources...or try FAXON, can probably get DVD/digital from them.

The factory manual will be for Powerglide, both iron case and aluminum case, which came out in '62 with 327 engine. Although you have a 283 and later TH350, the general guidelines will be useful. You could also invest in a later manual, TH350 came out in '69 as I recall, for more 350 specific info.

8. 56 Buick

56 Buick

700r4 is what everyone want me to use, but to be honest I don't have a ton of money right now and I want to drive my car. I have a fresh 350 that my buddy had built and decided to go the 700r4. Picked it up dirt cheap so it's just what I have to use till work pick up.

9. squirrel

squirrel

once you do the th350 swap, then you can swap in a 700 that much easier, you'll have most of what you need. Just need the correct TV cable and bracket, different trans crossmember, and shorten the driveshaft yet again (assuming the TH350 is a short tail)

10. oldolds

oldolds

Short tailshaft 350 will use a 4 speed driveshaft, with the correct yoke for the 350. You 283 may not be drilled for a starter. You should check that first.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IIRC, Chevy V8 blocks were drilled for the block mounted starter, or at minimum, had the extra pad for the outer bolt, since the '57 models introduced the infamous Turboglide...which used a block mounted starter and an aluminum case similar to the later aluminum Powerglide in sofar as it's mounting to the engine.

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This is a very good idea for any old car. Lots and lots of information in the "Factory" shop manuals. A factory assembly manual is a good investment, too.

13. 56 Buick

56 Buick

Found a gentleman with manuals that I'm going to pick up off of him. Thanks for that bit of advice.