Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Roadster Crash INSIDE GNRS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Horrible thing to happen. Hope the judge will be OK. Beautiful car in my opinion. Another throttle stuck, check youtube - Morro Bay crash 2012

2. Hope the guy recovers well and soon.
    That's all that matters.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Candy Clark (from AG) posted on FB that she spoke to Vic's wife and he has stitches in his head, two broken ribs and lots of scrapes and bruises.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Another strike for trailer queens. Best wishes ti the judge for a full recovery & hope the roadster owner has good coverage with his ins co.

5. 8dearborns

8dearborns

I had just had my car judged and had pulled into my assigned space.
    I had seen this car 2 spaces behind me in line waiting to be judged.
    I looked at the ram manifold off the 6-71 blown Chrysler and there was no evidence of any carburetors. There must be just throttle bodies with some kind of electric fuel injection. I said to myself, this thing is ridiculous, and dangerous, and couldn't possibly be driven on the street. The automatic Transmission shifter was just a rod through a boot so you couldn't tell what gear it was in unless it was running and you shifted it. The gas pedal setup looked Mikey Mouse.
    As someone else said in this blog, they were more interested in how much chrome there was, than whether it could actually be driven. To me it was
    a complete insult to the judges intelligence because it was pretending to be a vehicle. The tires were wrapped in cellophane and it was obvious this thing had never been driven. There was no license, and maybe no insurance.
    There were cars in line that didn't even have front brakes!
    I build my cars because I am trying to IMPROVE the performance, handling,
    and safety over that of the original car. This is my first AMBR entry.
    I am going to volunteer next year to be a judge and make sure these cars have a safety inspection, just like the drag races, and that they have license plates, are registered, and have lights, horn, windshield wipers, directionals
    and everything that makes them a street legal vehicle. If you don't actually own a street legal vehicle, sorry you cannot fire it or be judged.

6. I hope the healing and repairing come swiftly..so all those involved can move on from this terrible accident.

7. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Man!! That sucks. The good news is Vic is going to be okay.

8. Well said Itchy!
    Tragic. Cars can always be fixed, lets hope everybody involved is OK.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This is really horrible and as much as we can point fingers, this could have happened to any of us. Cars are mechanical and mechanical things fail from time to time.

I certainly wish the judge the best for a speedy recovery, it could have been so much worse from the looks of that crash.

Don

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sad. It's good to know the injuries weren't life threatening. You assholes, who seem to think THIS is funny? Well, you're assholes.

11. metalman

metalman

Last time I entered the GNRS (15-16 years ago) they had changed the rule to where the car only needed to "appear" to be drivable, they wern't making us run them like they had in years past. Too many guys didn't want to discolor the chrome or put oil in that might leak! Guess they changed the rule back, at least on the AMBR contenders.
    My cars always ran but I never had an issue if the others didn't, Most top show cars were never intended to be drivers anyway so why bother make a static display run?
    I'm going to argue with 8dearborns, why should they be street legal and pass safety inspections, IT'S AN ART SHOW, not a driving event. They should make them push them around. If car shows are your thing driving your car probably isn't anyway.
    Not uncommen to have these issues at indoor shows. I was a floor marshall for 5 years at a show and we had 2 major incidents during that time (and quite a few minor ones), one a stuck throttle and the other stuck brain cells. Both times severe damaged to vehicals and the building, all within 20' and indoors, luckily no one was hurt. Barely functional cars, tired or distracted drivers, close quarters, it happens.
    Glad to hear it sounds like the judge that was run over will be ok.

12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Like Casny said....... lots of cars at this show thrown together in the wee hours of the night at the last minute......things don't get checked, things are over looked.

I've seen tons of cars at this show over the years where parts were still "hand tight" and never had a wrench to them.....sad

a complete tragedy on so many levels

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

as stated above, not the first time that there has been an accident inside a building at a show. first I have heard of someone being injured. everyone had to have made sure that he was taken care of properly. a emergency air flight is no small matter, plus extremely expensive - not always covered by insurance. will just have to wait for more details on exactly what cause this to happen. all indoor shows that I have been a part of had the cars drive to their specific spot for show.
    at the local grocery store today someone was backing out of a parking place and hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. car plowed into a car across isle from it and pushed it into another car. no one injured that I know of.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well i just hope that Vic fully recovers with no lingering effects from being run over.

There are too many variables on the "why' the accident happened to be able to pick one be it vehicle or driver malfunction.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

many moons ago a guy got hit in the head by the mirror on a van leaving the Oakland Coliseum on the Sunday night "drive out" at the Oakland show. I'm pretty sure it killed him. shit happens, be careful out there.

16. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Its an awful situation. I saw the car at Calgary W.O.W.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

8dearborns probably has the best prospective on what happened,since he was actually there and only a couple of cars away

18. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Thank God the judge wasn't beaten up too bad &n he'll recover to judge another day. Those guys do an awesome job & are very thorough. They're probably crawling around with flashlights judging throughout the night & tomorrow. Beautiful car. I'm heading to Pomona tomorrow with my daughter, son & grandson so hopefully will get the straight story from a reliable source. It appears that the roadster was being placed to be one of the 1st to be seen as U enter the building. Looking forward to seeing what's new this year.

19. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got back from taking the Solo 32 & set up in Building 5! We were in line to get in & everyone talking about accident! Security in line said we might have to push car in building! We got to building & we drove in & set up as usual but you could feel everyone was being way more careful! Only thing good about a bad accident is it shows what can happen & at least for a while people watch what they are doing! Word has it Judge will be okay! God Bless & Lets be careful out there! Bill @ Solo Speed Shop

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Best wishes for a speedy full recovery for the judge. Bob

21. fsae0607

fsae0607

Good to hear.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call to not rush and overlook safety stuff.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. 133

man that sucks, good to hear the person wasn't seriously injured.

pardon my ignorance, but why would the throttle need to be engaged? wouldn't they just let the car idle its way to the judging area?

23. If it has a hi-stall torque converter it would need to be revved to move.

24. Heard of an anxious scene with an owner who wasn't experienced and couldn't understand a new 458 Ferrari which was accidently set to 'KILL' mode or sumpin'.

25. Probably right here. Maybe it's safer to be pushing brand new show bitches. Remember Rotar?

26. Bad sh!t all round, lucky the door stopped it not more people or other show cars, JW

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this on IG and had to see what the scoop was... TERRIBLE! This could have been so much worse if it had happened in a busy building or driving it out of the complex. I'm guessing there will be some rule changes for the future...

Awful incident. Hope those hurt have a speedy recovery.

28. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

That really looks like it took a hard hit and I am sure that did not make his day when that happened.

Best wishes to the judge and sure hope he makes a speedy recover.

Jimbo

29. A runaway car is real scary, I've seen a couple but without human consequences.

Fortunately events like GNRS are well-insured and the judge will be well cared for. I wish him a speed recovery.

Another thing, is it too much to mandate that all cars entered be registered and insured?

Bob

30. Scary situation . Hope the judge has a speedy and complete recovery. Couple of my friends are out there but I think they were at Disneyworld during the Load-in for the show.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.