Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 50 Hudson Pacemaker 50A Deluxe build has begun!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by darter, Jan 21, 2014.

1. darter

darter
    from GA

Hey guys my name is Jeremy. Some probably remember I'm the guy who traded my red ram hemi for the slaughtered 50 Hudson with 95% of parts minus motor and Tran. I also kept the carb off the hemi and he gave new a running nv3500 5 speed with shifter and driveshaft, and a 360 4bbl motor. The hemi wasn't running. Well the body work on the Hudson has begun! She is covered in surface rust but no really bad rust, floors are great, and suspension is actually really nice. The previous owner changed a 4 door sedan into a "suicide pick up truck door set up". That's the best I can explain it. I will show before and after photos. You have to open the front door to access a mini back door... Its awful. I love strange unique things, but this hurts my eyes to see this done to such a classic. Sunday was my first day on the build. I pressure washed the frame, sanded and primed the hood, and media blasted the dash frame. I plan to weld the "back door" to the body and turn both back side windows into one window and have a 2 door sedan. I may take her back to for door sedan but that requires more money and I have everything i need to fix this awful body modification. By awful I am not saying its not great from a skill standpoint because he did a great job, I'm just saying it does ruin the look of the car in my opinion. Here are some pictures of before and what i've done so far. I would love some honest opinions. I'm a mechanic guy and am newer to body work. The hood was rough and still needs some. work, but I did this with good ol' sandpaper and an air compressor to blow off the rustf ...

2. darter

darter
    from GA

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

3. darter

darter
    from GA

Here is another picture of the hood and some of the before pictures.

Attached Files:

4. darter

darter
    from GA

Here's the hood before and the crazy doors before I weld the small one down and add a door post.

Attached Files:

5. darter

darter
    from GA

The rest of the body should be sanded and primed by this Sunday!

6. ratwasp

ratwasp

I have a '54 Wasp four door and have been told by a couple people to turn it into a 2 door (not on HAMB), and I would never consider it. The previous owner didn't do the car any justice or improvement with this "conversion" but it's not a noticeable hack job either so I would just get it cleaned up and running and worry about the aesthetics later! The 1950 is a great year, I will subscribe to this and follow your progress!

7. darter

darter
    from GA

I agree that he did a pretty good with the "pick up"doors but really just don't like it personally. I have a running slant 6 and a 360 I have thought about using, but I found the the 6cyl it ran in '50 in Charlotte NC. Not the exact one but a 232 i think it was? I've heard the slant 6 and 904, and Chrysler small blocks are common in Hudsons...
    Sent from my LG-MS910 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. ratwasp

ratwasp

Mine has the original 262. Runs great! Would be cool to have the original driveline back in yours. Can't wait to see it after you get the whole body primed this week

9. I am Hudson crazy so I'll be watching this one. My '51 Pacemaker has the original drivetrain , 232/3spd, and runs great. It does have hot start issues but I'm used to it. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

10. darter

darter
    from GA

Thanks everyone for the interest. It gives me more motivation to get her back on the road looking sharp.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

The doors may work now, but without the center support pillar, I would be concerned about body flex.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  12. Doc Hubler

Doc Hubler
    from Washington

Interesting, looks like what they did was put the larger coupe doors on the car because they liked the bigger doors, moved the B-pillar back, and cut the rear doors down to a much smaller size and changed the hinging system. Good luck! Here's some pictures of my 1950 Pacemaker Deluxe sedan that I restored a few years back. Runs and looks great!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  13. Doc Hubler

Doc Hubler
    from Washington

Oh, didn't see the latter picture. yes, you need to replace the B pillar for stability. You could put it back where it goes and obtain proper sedan doors for your car. Those are readily available. The couple doors could easily be sold to others looking for those for their cars.

14. darter

darter
    from GA

See, I don't believe he even used coupe doors. He elongated the original doors and cut the original back doors. The first thing I asked him was what he did with the pillar and he said he threw it out. No idea why...he saved everything else.I have 2 sedan doors and two more elongated doors. Does anyone know offhand how long the coupe doors were?

15. darter

darter
    from GA

Your car looks awesome. That was the same kind of color I was thinking... i was going to go through the code list from' 50. Was that the three spoke steering wheel? The only glove box door I have says Commodore.

16. darter

darter
    from GA

Yeah I love the interior. The three spoked steering wheel looks great.

17. ratwasp

ratwasp

Doc Hubler where did you get those rear window shades and how do they mount?

18. Doc Hubler

Doc Hubler
    from Washington

The window shades were an actual Hudson option. I think they are screwed in at the top and bottom and they do not move at all. One of the nicest options to have. It's as easy to see out the back as without them and it keeps the hot sun off the package shelf.

The steering wheel is the original wheel. Pacemaker Deluxe got the fancy Commodore style wheel with horn ring. I think the regular Pacemaker was a two spoke Plain Jane.

The 1950 Pacemakers were the only year and only series that Hudson used the "Fabric" dash on, or burlap design. Very hard to replicate, especially considering how the originals were made.

My car has added options including the cigar lighter, fog lights, back-up light, radio/antenna, rear speaker, spare tire valve connector (can check spare tire pressure without opening the trunk), and grille guard. I also have added an electric fuel pump. The original engine was gone when I got the car, but it has a 1950 Super Six, or 262 engine, with the original Pacemaker 500 head, so it has a little better compression than the standard 262.

SMS Upholstery Fabrics in Portland, OR is now reproducing the upholstery used in Pacemakers.

I have a 1950 Commodore Six Coupe that I am going to restore. It is stock, but fairly rough right now. The dash on the Supers and Commodores were the same basic layout as the Pacemaker, but there was added brightwork to the dash, especially the Commodore. The heater/fan controls were on the bottom of the dash where the driver could easily reach them. Here's a picture of that car. We are doing restorations at Perfect Shape Auto Body in Benton City, WA. We have just started a Facebook page and will have much more to post. I am finally almost starting the downhill side on my 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado restoration project.

19. Doc Hubler

Doc Hubler
    from Washington

Trying to upload the photo again.

Attached Files:

20. ratwasp

ratwasp

Hey Jeremy any progress on this?!

21. DtroitDinosaur

DtroitDinosaur

I'm building a 1952 Pacemaker Coupe. All the best with yours.

22. srs1

srs1

Why are you changing the doors? I think they are pretty cool. It's getting

harder and harder to do something different these days.

23. darter

darter
    from GA

Not as much as I'd like. I'll put up some pictures this weekend. I've got the fenders sanded and primed now. I'm in contract of buying a house so it's been crazy busy. But I bought a house with a huge 3 car garage and a separate garage also... with power. I'm pretty stoked.

24. darter

darter
    from GA

Well, I like the idea...kind of.... but not on this car. I am between welding the back door to body or just simply turning back in to original four door but suicide style. I'm leaning towards the latter.

25. bent metal

bent metal

I think I'd finish the 'Brougham' idea. Get some b-pillars, coupe quarters, and quarter windows. Leave those stock Brougham front doors on it, throw those cut up back doors in the trash. You end up with a nice short wheel base two door sedan. :)

Lots of four doors out there, not too many short wheel based Broughams.

26. darter

darter
    from GA

Well guys, I've got a trade offer for this huge Hudson project. 1941 Chrysler Royal which is ALL there except a starter. Has a spitfire inline six. What everyone's thoughts/opinions?

27. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

is it a 1941 Chrysler Royal two door coupe, then yes to the trade!
    or is it the 1941 Chrysler Royal four door model? then maybe on the trade... just love the coupes look more.. altho would love to have the 1950 Hudson in my back yard!

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      3 KB
      Views:
    • 13x.jpg
      13x.jpg
      File size:
      2.5 KB
      Views:
  28. darter

darter
    from GA

It is a four door with "suicide" doors. I'm a coupe guy myself. I've
    got the Hudson for sale. You can have it in your backyard for a good price! I have so many projects. Here is a picture of the 41 Chrysler royal. The rear fenders are not on but they are included.

29. darter

darter
    from GA

30. darter

darter
    from GA

Attached Files: